Wii U Pro Controller drivers for the Wii?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Cubelover

Wii U Pro Controller drivers for the Wii?

Post by Cubelover » Thu Jul 04, 2013 6:35 pm

The Wii U Pro Controller is pretty awesome but Nintendo decided to not making it compatible with the Wii. I don't know what the difference is technically between a Wiimote and a Wii U Pro Controller as both use Bluetooth to connect with the Wii/Wii U. Wouldn't it be possible to code some sort of drivers up to make the Pro Controller work on Wiis?
M tha MaN

Re: Wii U Pro Controller drivers for the Wii?

Post by M tha MaN » Fri Jul 05, 2013 7:46 pm

As tuedj shows with devolution --> it can be done.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 5:47 am

Since when does devolution support the Wii U Pro Controller? Do you have a link for me please?
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:41 am

Never mind, I found it. But it's a gamecube games only thing it seems. For GC games I prefer using a GC controller. tueidj, if it's possible for you, can you please consider making a "stand-alone" driver that works with Wii games that support the classic controller?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:34 am

It's possible but I think it would be a bit awkward to squeeze a patch in for... If someone else wanted to do it, they'd have to do this:
- Identify the controller as a wiiu pro before the game attempts to read any data from the "wiimote". Either read and check the extension id (wiiu pro last byte == 0x20) or check the controller's bluetooth name (which is something like "Nintendo RVL-CNT-UC-01"). If an attempt to read data from the wiimote's memory is performed on a wiiu pro, it will disconnect (only the extension memory is available).
- Use one of the "long" extension data reporting modes, like mode 0x34 - the wiiu pro needs to report more than 6 bytes to send all the data.
- Process the "long" data reports to make the input data look like a classic controller. The four stick axes come first (four little-endian 16-bit words), reduce their precision to match the crappy classic controller (6 bits for left stick, 5 for right) followed by the buttons, which match the classic controller's button reports except for the addition of L3, R3 and the charging/fully charged flags which can all be ignored.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 am

Thanks so much :D I hope somebody will use this information to pull this off. I am even willing to pay for it if necessary.
M tha MaN

Post by M tha MaN » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:42 am

Thanks tueidj. I hope the same.

Would be veeeeeeeeeeeery nice to play Brawl on my Wii U in vWii Mode with CC Pro. At least, until the new SSB is released :)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sat Jul 06, 2013 10:36 pm

This makes me curious: is the Wii Classic Controller Pro more precise than the non-Pro one, or it just a better-built version?
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:23 pm

BenoitRen wrote:This makes me curious: is the Wii Classic Controller Pro more precise than the non-Pro one, or it just a better-built version?
This is about the Wii U Pro Controller, not the Classic Controller Pro.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jul 07, 2013 2:58 am

The classic controller pro functions the same as the original classic controller except it doesn't have analog L and R triggers.
Both of them have the same terrible stick sensitivity - the L stick ranges from 0 to 63 and the R stick ranges from 0 to 31 (and they are never calibrated properly). In contrast, the gamecube sticks and PS1/2/3 controllers all range from 0 to 255 and the wiiu pro sticks range from 0 to 4095.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:34 pm

Thanks for the answer, tueidj.
Cubelover wrote:
BenoitRen wrote:This makes me curious: is the Wii Classic Controller Pro more precise than the non-Pro one, or it just a better-built version?
This is about the Wii U Pro Controller, not the Classic Controller Pro.
No shit, Sherlock.
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 5:37 pm

tueidj wrote:The classic controller pro functions the same as the original classic controller except it doesn't have analog L and R triggers.
Both of them have the same terrible stick sensitivity - the L stick ranges from 0 to 63 and the R stick ranges from 0 to 31 (and they are never calibrated properly). In contrast, the gamecube sticks and PS1/2/3 controllers all range from 0 to 255 and the wiiu pro sticks range from 0 to 4095.
Interesting.
Does Devolution use the full ranges for the individual sticks?
And would an original GCN controller with this device be toned down to the CC stick ranges or would it use the full GCN stick ranges?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:11 pm

It's actually pretty complex. First Devolution takes a heap of samples from the sticks and calculates the average; this is used as the centre value (which is why the readme says it's important to have the sticks centered when connecting). Then it constantly tracks the absolute minimum/maximum values received so it knows the full range. Whenever the game asks for the controller's values, Devolution compares the current reading to the centre reading and the min/max (whichever is closer) and translates it to a value between 0-127 (for values below the centre) or 128-255 (for values above the centre).
Any adapter that functions as a classic controller would have limited range sticks.
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:23 pm

Ok, pretty complex indeed.
But why not hardcode the values/translated values for the different controllers one time?
Wouldn´t that be easier when you know all the controller values that will be used with the loader?
Or do you have compatibility with other, unknown controllers in mind? ;)
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Jul 08, 2013 6:27 pm

Each individual controller is calibrated differently.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Jul 09, 2013 11:01 pm

I'm assuming the small analog stick resolution is an inherent limitation of the CC's software packets sent through the wiimote expansion connector? Because the analog sticks themselves don't seem to be physically much different from those on the GameCube... heck they even use the same type of analog stick caps, that is they're interchangeable with each other.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:36 am

It's irrelevant (what the hardware is actually capable of doesn't matter if you can't access it), but I don't think so. The amount of "miscalibration" when the sticks are centered/at rest is too large to originate from a 0-256 range.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 3:48 am

The theory/hypothesis is that the expansion connector may not have enough bandwidth or something for a full-on controller like the classic controller/pro, but may have been designed to be just enough for the nunchuck's single analog + two buttons.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:18 am

No. There are other expansion devices that send more data than the nunchuk, the balance board sends 8 bytes and the now dead vitality sensor could send 16 or 21 bytes (which is the largest data reporting size). Possibly the drawing tablets also send more than normal but I've never used one.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:49 am

Well then me no know señior.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Wed Jul 10, 2013 8:52 pm

tueidj wrote:No. There are other expansion devices that send more data than the nunchuk, the balance board sends 8 bytes and the now dead vitality sensor could send 16 or 21 bytes (which is the largest data reporting size). Possibly the drawing tablets also send more than normal but I've never used one.
You have a vitality sensor? :o Does this thing actually work?
GolfDude

Post by GolfDude » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:56 am

hey tue, is it possible to have a usb mic or even the wiispeak mic work in devolution for games like mario party that use the microphone?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:47 am

Cubelover wrote:You have a vitality sensor? :o Does this thing actually work?
No but code to read the data from it has been in most of the wii games produced since 2010.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:26 am

Why do you count the Balance Board as an expansion device? It isn't connected to a Wiimote's expansion slot.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Jul 12, 2013 1:37 pm

Because it pretends to be a wiimote with an expansion device attached, just like the wiiu pro controller.