Gamecube Running on the WiiU

All things Wii-U can be discussed in here!
tueidj

Re: Gamecube Running on the WiiU

Post by tueidj » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:44 pm

There is more than one PAL version which is why bug reports should always be accompanied by logs...
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:47 pm

It happens on NTSC as well though which only ever had a single version released.
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:46 am

I can confirm that I tried WiiU Pro and the controls are borky too.

Tueidj,sorry but I do not know how to present a log.
:-(
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:44 am

tueidj wrote:There is more than one PAL version which is why bug reports should always be accompanied by logs...
Is there? A torrent site lead me to believe that there's a 1.1 version, but when I got my hands on the Player's Choice release I didn't see a "-1" behind the game disc's ID.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:50 pm

Is there a list about what exactly has been changed in these infamous 1.1 versions.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Jul 20, 2013 1:52 am

I doubt it, I'm only familiar with the different PSO versions which had some bugfixes, extra quests and a lame effort to stop the PSO exploit.
The problem with Luigi's Mansion is that it's such an early gamecube game, it tries to use the controllers in analog button mode. Originally they must have planned for the A and B buttons to be touch sensitive but the idea was dropped. For whatever reasons retail controllers still support it by returning zeroes, they make room for the analog button values by reducing the trigger values from 8 bits to 4 bits each which Devolution doesn't know how to do (at the moment). Since v1.1 came out much later it apparently doesn't use the analog mode.
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:34 pm

tueidj wrote:I doubt it, I'm only familiar with the different PSO versions which had some bugfixes, extra quests and a lame effort to stop the PSO exploit.
The problem with Luigi's Mansion is that it's such an early gamecube game, it tries to use the controllers in analog button mode. Originally they must have planned for the A and B buttons to be touch sensitive but the idea was dropped. For whatever reasons retail controllers still support it by returning zeroes, they make room for the analog button values by reducing the trigger values from 8 bits to 4 bits each which Devolution doesn't know how to do (at the moment). Since v1.1 came out much later it apparently doesn't use the analog mode.

Thanks for your reply.

It seems that I am out of luck as my copy of the game is a Day one copy bought alongside my launch Gamecube.
But I am willing to try (and buy) version 1.1. But how can I recognize the new version?

Thanks in advance.
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:09 pm

Most Players Choice editions are 1.1, including Luigi.

Saying that, it would be nice, if we were "allowed" to verify 1.1 versions with 1.0 discs.
As a collector i´m avoiding Players Choice editions, because i want the clean original boxart. ;)
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 pm

That's the same as saying it would be nice if you could verify any game with any disc.
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:25 am

Does anyone knows if a v.1.00 save file will be compatible with the v.1.1 game?
inspectah_deck

Post by inspectah_deck » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:46 am

tueidj wrote:That's the same as saying it would be nice if you could verify any game with any disc.
Yeah, i thought so.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:58 am

There's no way to say for sure if savefiles would be compatible, the changes might have something to do with the save format. I don't think it's very likely though, PSO saves are compatible with all versions for example.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Jul 22, 2013 9:21 pm

People over at GBATemp are having a minor issue with the Mayflash CC to GC adapters - everything works with the 1:1 button mapping, but apparently you don't have Minus/select mapped to anything, so the user must double-tap the start button for it to work. Would it not be so blasphemous to have GC start mapped to Minus/Select as well so that users can just single-tap it?

Also I feel it wouldn't be too blasphemous to propose an alternative control configuration to make L (ZL on original CC) a second Z button or maybe even a Turbo button and move the current L button's functionality to the Minus/select button. I say this because many, maybe even most if not all 3rd party GC controllers with a turbo button had it located on the left size above the GC pad's L button.

Slightly off-topic: tueidj, I've had a week or so to rest my head and have come up with a compromise idea that would not reduce or eliminate the functionality of the Home button in any way whatsoever, so I'd greatly appreciate if you visited the "Devolution has been released" thread again and we forget about the whole "home button vs turning off wiimotes" incident.

I sincerely apologize for acting out on my emotions like I did.

(FYI, I seem to have a bad history of "letting things go" when I become too familiar with a person, place, or community and I need to be kept in-check much like you managed when such an occurrence happens, so I hope you don't take anything personally)
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:04 pm

panmusic wrote:But I am willing to try (and buy) version 1.1. But how can I recognize the new version?
There should be a "-1" behind the disc's ID, which commonly ends in "EUR" for PAL games.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:02 am

BenoitRen wrote:
panmusic wrote:But I am willing to try (and buy) version 1.1. But how can I recognize the new version?
There should be a "-1" behind the disc's ID, which commonly ends in "EUR" for PAL games.

Yesterday,I bought a copy of Luigi's Mansion with a "-1" behind the disc's ID.
My original copy has DOL-GLMP-UKV and the newer version I tried has DOL-GLMP-UKV-1.
So,I am pretty positive that this is the newer version of the game.
I used Cleanrip and after 10 minutes I was ready to verify it with Devolution.
The first strange thing was that Devolution did not verify it. It booted the game normally.
After that, in-game controls were as problematic as ever. :(

So,I tried so far two different PAL versions of the same game without being able to solve the controls problem.

I really hope that Tueidj find a way to fix Luigi's Mansion (and Star Wars RS) in a future revision.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:16 am

If it didn't require verification then it was already verified i.e. it's identical to your other copy.
panmusic

Post by panmusic » Wed Aug 28, 2013 7:11 am

tueidj wrote:If it didn't require verification then it was already verified i.e. it's identical to your other copy.
That's what I am afraid too... :(

Unfortunately I have now two copies bought of the same game and I am very hesitant to buy a third.

So,my only option for now is to wait... :(

And if do you not mind my question, can we hope for a fix in a future revision?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 1:48 am

tueidj, I've run into an interesting situation, and I know you don't really take requests for Devolution features, but according to some research such functionality is already implemented in other homebrew tools...

A couple weeks ago, my Trinitron SDTV that I've been using finally bit the dust, and I was forced to hop on the HDTV bandwagon. For only being $350, its upscaler is surprisingly good, especially over composite for 240p content with very little input lag. However, the deflicker filter that's used for most GameCube games, which looked great on my SDTV, looks quite crappy and muddy on this HDTV. Using Melee as a test, disabling the deflicker filter makes the picture look surprisingly good - almost comparable to a 640x480 VGA connection (said HDTV has VGA amazingly enough).

So I did a bit of research and looks like it may be possible to force the disabling of the deflicker filter according to this forum topic:
http://assemblergames.com/forums/showth ... licker-off

And according to this post, such functionality already exists:
http://assemblergames.com/forums/showthread.php?44573-Gamecube-deflicker-off&viewfull=1#post653952 wrote: "[18:53] <Extrems> It is part of Swiss' progressive patch."
Therefore, I ask, how possible would it be to implement an option in Devolution to force enable/disable of the deflicker filter?
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
piratesephiroth

Post by piratesephiroth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:07 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:tueidj, I've run into an interesting situation, and I know you don't really take requests for Devolution features, but according to some research such functionality is already implemented in other homebrew tools...

A couple weeks ago, my Trinitron SDTV that I've been using finally bit the dust, and I was forced to hop on the HDTV bandwagon. For only being $350, its upscaler is surprisingly good, especially over composite for 240p content with very little input lag. However, the deflicker filter that's used for most GameCube games, which looked great on my SDTV, looks quite crappy and muddy on this HDTV. Using Melee as a test, disabling the deflicker filter makes the picture look surprisingly good - almost comparable to a 640x480 VGA connection (said HDTV has VGA amazingly enough).

So I did a bit of research and looks like it may be possible to force the disabling of the deflicker filter according to this forum topic:
http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/sh ... licker-off

And according to this post, such functionality already exists:
Therefore, I ask, how possible would it be to implement an option in Devolution to force enable/disable of the deflicker filter?
It would be nice to enable this thing on Swiss over composite as well.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:13 am

piratesephiroth wrote:It would be nice to enable this thing on Swiss over composite as well.
According to the following quoted post on Beyond3D, there are two seperate settings - one for interlaced and another for progressive. Therefore, it should theoretically be possible for a composite connection as well.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?p=975455#post975455 wrote:Ok, talking to a developer friend of mine, there are 2 specific wii/gcn API calls to turn on deflickering mode.

For interlaced displays, you call GXNtsc480IntDf().

For progressive scan displays, you call GXNtsc480ProgSoft().

Since anti-aliasing is really a side effect of deflickering and you don't actually deflicker anything in 480p, the api ends with "soft" in proscan, instead of "df" for interlaced displays.
EDIT: This got me wondering if it'd be possible to force disable/enable of the deflicker filter in Wii games as well. However, I cannot seem to find any info on such a thing...I'll keep searching though.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:33 am

piratesephiroth wrote:It would be nice to enable this thing on Swiss over composite as well.
I've been tinkering with a 480p30/576p25 patch intended for capture devices, but the compatibility isn't too great.
I'll never allow disabling deflicker on 480i60/576i50.
piratesephiroth

Post by piratesephiroth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:02 am

Extrems wrote:
I've been tinkering with a 480p30/576p25 patch intended for capture devices, but the compatibility isn't too great.
I'll never allow disabling deflicker on 480i60/576i50.
Why? Is the compatibilty even worse? It's a pity, because with deflicker off, the image looks quite better even in composite mode.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:16 am

piratesephiroth wrote:Why? Is the compatibilty even worse? It's a pity, because with deflicker off, the image looks quite better even in composite mode on an HDTV.
Fixed, cause, you know, not having the flicker filter on an SDTV can be flat-out headache-inducing. :P
piratesephiroth

Post by piratesephiroth » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:30 am

Nintendo Maniac 64 wrote:
piratesephiroth wrote:Why? Is the compatibilty even worse? It's a pity, because with deflicker off, the image looks quite better even in composite mode on an HDTV.
Fixed, cause, you know, not having the flicker filter on an SDTV can be flat-out headache-inducing. :P
exactly!

It's gonna really suck if it breaks the games... it looks like a simple graphic filter...
manic.blood

Post by manic.blood » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:50 am

This Devolution is great, its really giving these old games a modern lease of life with the wiimotes and CC. I'm having trouble with Devolution failing to light upthe Disk Slot to confirm a game in drive has been verified. Very confused with the different info on each guide of how to play games.

Tried for two hours but all in vain. No light in Disk Drive and just a black screen
Using version r200 perhaps this is why, I will try latest version at weekend