Starting Swiss (or other DOL) using Action Replay codes?

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
julius

Re: Starting Swiss (or other DOL) using Action Replay codes?

Post by julius » Mon Sep 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Wait:are you telling me that you plan to run dols using the Action Replay sold at Amazon (the latest version) ? The only versions that I beleive that work so far are Action Replay v1.14 and below, and SD Media Launcher.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:37 pm

Actually, I have v1.14 of Action Replay. I bought it back in '07 (I may have had it even longer then that, but that's as far back as I can recall having it. I do know I still had it when I originally got the silver GameCube to replace the original one I had that broke, so I may have had it a year before that even. :P ) and this was a time when Wal-Mart was still carrying them along with other GameCube stuff. :D

So originally I bought it to use it for game cheats and the like for doing fun stuff in Mario Kart. I only found out about using it for homebrew until recently. Since before, I thought only the SD Media Launcher could be used. I've had the AR disc for 6 years almost. Plan to put it to good use. :D

You may be confusing my Amazon purchase with my SD card I'm getting with the adapter which according to the updated tracking info, it looks like they will both arrive on the same day. :D

I got my Action Replay at Wal-Mart way back when they still had it. :P

UPDATE

I received the WiiKey SD Adapter and the Topram 4GB card today. I can confirm that 4GB non SDHC cards WILL WORK with Action Replay method! I successfully booted up Swiss and SDLoader. Though Swiss (when used as the SDLOADER.BIN file) seems to have frozen after leaving the options screen I will try instead loading it from SDLoader instead. Probably an issue on my end. I did use a specially compiled version provided by another user. But since I didn't actually make the edit to Swiss to boot from Action Replay myself, there's the chance that the user that did just didn't do it properly or something. :P

CleanRip was one of the first DOLs I tried. It seems to work great and is backing up my Zelda collection game with no issues thus far. Though it wanted me to insert a FAT32 formatted SD card. I suppose CleanRip just doesn't support FAT16. :P

So I swapped in my 16GB MicroSD card for that one. I guess I can always transfer the files over afterwards. :P

Oh and yes the full 3.7GB shows up. ;)
ImageImage
julius

Post by julius » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:20 pm

Crongrats!! You are one of the lucky ones that still own one of these. Mine, a rare v1.07 or 1.08 I do not remember exactly, was stolen with my gamecube, nintendo ds and so a couple of years before when I did know it was not compatible with DOL-101 gamecubes though I did know I could run homebrew with it. The worst part is that I know thiefs do not know what they stealed and maybe they would throw it to the trash if they tested it in a DOL-101 gamecube.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:48 pm

Thanks. Yeah I was lucky to have chosen to buy the AR way back in '07 when I did. If I try to look for one now i bet it would be much more expensive. The shipping prices on the Datel website are atrocious...

When I found that I can use it to run homebrew with the addition of the SD adapter, I was like..."WHY HAVEN'T I FOUND THIS SOONER!" :P
Glad I found out before I made the mistake of buying the SD Media Launcher. :P

Also, I got Swiss to work as the SDLoader.bin file. I just tweaked some settings and it seems to work. Even got a game to boot and run. But currently trying to get my memory card saves to work with Swiss.

I created a thread about it here:

Does Swiss support GCI save files?

Other then that everything seems to be working. :D
ImageImage
reprep

Post by reprep » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 am

i too have been using this setup (action replay and a sd gecko) for some time. it works great.

though it would be great if the AR code could be rewritten to support SDHC cards and an option to boot the sd gecko from slot B instead of slot A. this way we can just leave a normal memory card in slot A and a high capacity sd card with sd gecko in slot B. perfect setup for me.

still i really enjoy swiss and the AR loading the way it is now.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Thu Oct 10, 2013 1:21 am

Booting from slot B would be impossible. Action Replay is hard coded to load it's special save file from slot B and thus a SD adapter can't be used on that slot. Perhaps you could double boot Action Replay by using AR codes to trick AR into using slot A instead and then boot AR again to then load the SD Load exploit. You could also burn a custom disc with the Action Replay pre-modified, but that would defeat the purpose of doing this since then you need a mod chipped GC to do that.

The double booting of AR would take about the same amount of time or more then simply swapping the cards after booting into Swiss. The newer versions of AR that don't use a memory card don't allow adding new codes/games from what I hear, so that wouldn't work either. :(

So loading code from Slot B instead would be impractical until someone creates an SD adapter that can somehow be used as a normal memory card. SD Gecko and the others currently out can not be used as a normal memory card.
ImageImage
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:12 am

SDHC would be the only thing I'd like to add but who would realistically type a ~50 line code? :p
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Thu Oct 10, 2013 2:19 am

Back before I had my XenoGC...I would have been willing to. :P
ImageImage
reprep

Post by reprep » Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:39 pm

Apache Thunder wrote:Booting from slot B would be impossible. Action Replay is hard coded to load it's special save file from slot B and thus a SD adapter can't be used on that slot. Perhaps you could double boot Action Replay by using AR codes to trick AR into using slot A instead and then boot AR again to then load the SD Load exploit. You could also burn a custom disc with the Action Replay pre-modified, but that would defeat the purpose of doing this since then you need a mod chipped GC to do that.

The double booting of AR would take about the same amount of time or more then simply swapping the cards after booting into Swiss. The newer versions of AR that don't use a memory card don't allow adding new codes/games from what I hear, so that wouldn't work either. :(

So loading code from Slot B instead would be impractical until someone creates an SD adapter that can somehow be used as a normal memory card. SD Gecko and the others currently out can not be used as a normal memory card.
i totally forgot AR loads its save from slot B. yup, you are right, it is meaningless.

still, SDHC support combined with swiss virtual memory card emulation would be great too.