Wii64 discussion?

All Wii64 related discussions here
LaidCUE

Re: Wii64 discussion?

Post by LaidCUE » Fri Nov 01, 2013 3:22 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Did I say it would be a cycle accurate N64 emulator like cen64? I said "we put some effort into Cube64 this time", which means it won't be a Wii emulator that "happens" to work on GameCube too, there are GameCube specific optimisations this time around that have gone into it.

Wii64 is based on mupen64, so only expect it to be as good as that was and possibly some small improvements. The N64 is a complex beast, HLE emulation can never do it complete justice, but it's all we have to go by for the purpose of this since the Wii isn't exactly a super computer.
whatever progress you make with wii64, im happy, and im going to be patient and wait for the next release. btw is the next release going to be called solitare or something like that?
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Fri Nov 01, 2013 4:48 pm

If ya'll can get Mario 64 (the multiplayer hacked version :D) to run without lag. That would be great. (talking about the GameCube version) :D

There's a multiplayer hack for SM64 that lets a second player play as Luigi (this shares the same camera, so it's not network play or anything special like that). The rom hasn't been extended or hacked for more memory, so I don't see why the emulator struggles on it currently. :(

It seems to run fine in the Zelda retail emulator thingy. Though without a HUD... :P
ImageImage
Vague Rant

Post by Vague Rant » Sat Nov 02, 2013 4:44 am

Apache Thunder wrote:The rom hasn't been extended or hacked for more memory, so I don't see why the emulator struggles on it currently. :(
I think you're fundamentally not understanding how a computer (in this case, the Nintendo 64) works. It's not operating at 100% of its capacity at all times--in fact, this tends to be when performance suffers most, because you're throwing more at the system than it can handle at a solid frame rate.

Mario 64 is well known to be a game which doesn't heavily tax the Nintendo 64, but if you change the game to add more polygons on screen (Luigi), handle the Mario physics, collisions, etc. twice (Mario and Luigi), hopefully some kind of adjustment to allow all the AI (enemies) to react to two potential targets and whatever else this hack adds, what you're really doing is making the N64 work harder at running the game. The hardware is the same, but what it's doing is more complex, and in the case of emulation, this means you're making the parent hardware work harder, too.

Assuming this hack runs full-speed on hardware (which is a big assumption; it's also entirely plausible that it doesn't and you're seeing an accurately emulated struggling N64), the simple answer here is that the emulator can't keep up with the increased load being placed on the emulated CPU, so full speed can't be maintained. It might get better with an update if the overall performance of the emulator is improved, but who knows. Hacks like this are certainly edge cases.
nakata

Post by nakata » Sat Nov 02, 2013 1:31 pm

The best way to run this great hack is the inject wad (Wii Channel WAD [1.2]) , which runs perfect from what i can tell.
chuck

Post by chuck » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:03 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Did I say it would be a cycle accurate N64 emulator like cen64? I said "we put some effort into Cube64 this time", which means it won't be a Wii emulator that "happens" to work on GameCube too, there are GameCube specific optimisations this time around that have gone into it.

Wii64 is based on mupen64, so only expect it to be as good as that was and possibly some small improvements. The N64 is a complex beast, HLE emulation can never do it complete justice, but it's all we have to go by for the purpose of this since the Wii isn't exactly a super computer.
So, this time we won't have wii64 on the Wii, just on gamecube?
By the way will come soon? or only in 2014?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:13 pm

No, it'll be for Wii/GC of course.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:52 am

Nukatha wrote:Just out of curiosity, why would you run Majora's through Wii64, instead of using Zelda Collector's edition?
The version of Majora's Mask that's on The Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition has issues, particularly in Clock Town, where the framerate takes a serious hit in some spots

At least, that's what I've heard, as I haven't played it yet (waiting for Swiss to let me run it *wink*).
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
nakata

Post by nakata » Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Hey guys!
Two recend findings: Turok 1 blackscreens when loading level 4. It plays every other level and boss. Also, Shadowman 64 blackscreens during the intro (when Legion meets Jack the Ripper), however the intro is skippable and the game is playable otherwise. Finally, Starfox64 via Not64 blows away Lylatwars via VC. 60hz, wiimote controls and richer colors, cleaner picture :)

P.S. dum question: What ''video plugin'' does Wii64/not64 use? Would optionable video plugins be possible in a future release?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:14 am

Current releases use glN64, next will have glN64/Rice.
Vague Rant

Post by Vague Rant » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:42 am

How does Wii/Not64 fare on the slowdown in Star Fox 64? I know that game is kind of a weird case, as it uses slowdown for that dramatic slowdown "effect" when you kill a boss and to make Aquas playable. The original VC release of Star Fox 64 ran so "well" that much of the slowdown was obliterated, giving the game a very different feel. Nintendo then put out an update to the channel that ran much closer to the N64 version; of course, this resulted in a chorus of people whining about the game being made "worse" via update.
nakata

Post by nakata » Sun Nov 17, 2013 3:09 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Current releases use glN64, next will have glN64/Rice.
Nice, thanks.
Vague Rant wrote:How does Wii/Not64 fare on the slowdown in Star Fox 64? I know that game is kind of a weird case, as it uses slowdown for that dramatic slowdown "effect" when you kill a boss and to make Aquas playable. The original VC release of Star Fox 64 ran so "well" that much of the slowdown was obliterated, giving the game a very different feel. Nintendo then put out an update to the channel that ran much closer to the N64 version; of course, this resulted in a chorus of people whining about the game being made "worse" via update.
Well i played both sequentially and as i already said above, Not64 playing Starfox 64 is MUCH better than the Lylatwars PAL VC wad. Why? First off 60hz makes a world of difference, game is arcadey, so faster is better. This is especially obvious in levels like Aquas or Macbeth (i specifically tried 3 times to get the medal on Aquas on the VC wad due to the rampant slowdown and the dithering, where as i breezed through Aquas on Not64). Secondly, picture quality on Not64 is better, less dithering, cleaner image and the exhaust effect of the arwing looks brighter, just as i remember it, not darker as it does on the VC wad. Thirdly, control options (from different setups to inverting axes etc) are much richer in Not64. Finally, savestates are VERY welcome if you want to replay a specific level (say, the epic Area 6 one) at anytime you like.

Btw, i never knew of that ''update''. Hilarious. Requesting slowdowns is ridiculous.
Anyways, i will hunt down that older version of the wad, thanks for the heads up.
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:16 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Current releases use glN64, next will have glN64/Rice.
SO rice is basically 5 times fastter than glN64?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:26 pm

I wouldn't say 5 times faster, but with the changes to the core as well, this combination has made single player Goldeneye for example full speed and multi-player is good enough to enjoy with 4 people.
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:51 am

What Games can run at lease 95% on Wii64?

I want to download my N64 collection on my SD Card

Mortal Kombat 4
Mortal Kombat Trilogy
Mario Kart 64
Crusin USA, World,

or is there a list of what Games work?
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:23 am

Check here
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=842&start=108

Almost perfect (95-100%):
Super Mario 64
Mario Kart 64
Banjo Kazooie
Automobili-Lamborghini
Rally Challenge 2000
Starfox 64
Waverace 64
nakata

Post by nakata » Mon Nov 18, 2013 7:21 pm

Sorry for the double post folks. :oops:
Recently i experimented with video plugins on pc n64 emus, hence my question above (please forgive my smattering on the subject, i am not very familiar with pc emus). But i forgot to also add this part: Will video plugins (Rice, gln64) be selectable for specific games, or will it be a ''one fits all'' situation?
Again, thanks for your time.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:34 pm

it will be a wii64-glN64.dol vs wii64-Rice.dol. everything internally will be the same apart from the plugin.
starwarsfan541

Post by starwarsfan541 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:17 am

First, thanks for the great emulator on the wii.

Is DK64 playable in the upcoming release and is there any timeframe for release?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:34 pm

Yes, DK64 should be playable (without that annoying camera issue).
starwarsfan541

Post by starwarsfan541 » Wed Nov 20, 2013 12:07 am

emu_kidid wrote:Yes, DK64 should be playable (without that annoying camera issue).
Great, cant wait.

Thanks for answering btw.
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Wed Nov 20, 2013 1:58 am

I just wait til the Next Update for Cube64, I want to play Mario Kart 64 without lag

Also what about a Emulator on the Zelda Collection on the Cube
LaidCUE

Post by LaidCUE » Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:53 am

awesome stuff. thanx emukidid! if this update is able to run NBA Hangtime/Showtime my life is complete. lol
NewFang

Post by NewFang » Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:14 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I wouldn't say 5 times faster, but with the changes to the core as well, this combination has made single player Goldeneye for example full speed and multi-player is good enough to enjoy with 4 people.

Goldeneye full speed and some old school 4 player death match is all I need. Thank you emukid! Looking forward to it! :D
univa

Post by univa » Fri Nov 22, 2013 12:19 am

We are going to see how true that is, if will be launched a really good review that can run Conquer Bad fur day, approximately how many months or years for their release? I do not believe in nothing and no one, not even in my own shadow.

emu_kidid if it is true i'd be very happy Companion.
Nintendero of heart until death i snatched from them.

tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:03 am

univa wrote:I do not believe in nothing and no one, not even in my own shadow.
Let's practice our double negatives: please do not never ban this troll.