Game on SD Media launcher SD card won't load

All your console related questions and answers :)
FC360

Game on SD Media launcher SD card won't load

Post by FC360 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:08 am

Just got a SD media launcher today and was messing around with it to make sure it works and does what I'm after, run gameboy player start up disc from the SD card. So I decided to download some roms to test it, unfortunately none of them seem to work, I have tried pikmin and harvest moon a wonderful life both of them load then shows a black screen and nothing happens. I have tried ripping my disc copy of pikmin but that seemed to freeze part way through. I have tried 2 different SD cards, the 1 supplied and 1 I have spare, but they both have the same black screen. Am I doing something wrong?

Here is what I did:

Download GCOS 1.5 ran that and it worked fine so downloaded swiss 0.3 r147 and put that on SD card and that runs fine too. Unpacked the rar of pikmin and copied the extracted ISO to the SD card. Ran swiss, select SDGecko, fast, slot B then select pikmin.iso and hit A to load. I then say no to the question to use a DVD disc for higher compatibility and left all other settings as is, it loads to 100% then I get a black screen. Tried changing the video settings to pal and then to 576p but both didn't work.

Am I missing a step or something? Can someone suggest anything to get this to work?

Also I did try a gameboy disc rom I have and that loaded upto the message saying please install the gameboy hardware or something along those lines. Does that mean it actually works and it's just the iso for pikmin isn't working?
_ich_

Re: Game on SD Media launcher SD card won't load

Post by _ich_ » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:57 am

You can try it with the newest Revision of Swiss (r251).
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375&hilit=nightly

And try to start full .iso`s, not shrinked one.
FC360

Post by FC360 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:56 pm

_ich_ wrote:You can try it with the newest Revision of Swiss (r251).
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1375&hilit=nightly

And try to start full .iso`s, not shrinked one.
I will try that later thanks. Also I don't use shrinked ISO's as I don't know how to do that :)

Edit:
Tried as suggested but getting the same black screen, Are there specific settings which should be set?

Update:
I just tried SD Boot and that loaded the game perfectly fine so I'm going to guess swiss just doesn't like this Pikmin iso :(
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:27 am

Don't use SD-Boot, it's horribly old :) If no games are working in Swiss, perhaps try something that is known to work (Animal Crossing).

I recommend you rip discs with CleanRip for GameCube. The SD Adapter might be hit-or-miss if it's the one that came with SDML, try not to touch it whilst in use.
FC360

Post by FC360 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 1:26 pm

I have a feeling it's the SD card, SD boot is able to run the game with not problems but swiss keeps freezing when I select to land somewhere but at least I got it to load now so I'm getting there. I'll try to rip my copy of animal crossing and try that to see if that works better :)

Yeah the SD card that came with the SDML is kinda odd, I've never seen 1 like it before lol
ratster

Post by ratster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:05 am

I had the same issue as you. I was able to get Swiss working by selecting "compatible" for speed when loading my SD card.
ratster

Post by ratster » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:25 am

Just a follow-up to my last. It appears that I actually have to go into settings and set 16 MHz instead of 32. I also noticed that Mario Sunshine works much better with SD load than Swiss, specifically the cutscenes. What could the reason be for that?
FC360

Post by FC360 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:05 pm

ratster wrote:Just a follow-up to my last. It appears that I actually have to go into settings and set 16 MHz instead of 32. I also noticed that Mario Sunshine works much better with SD load than Swiss, specifically the cutscenes. What could the reason be for that?
Yeah I'm able to get it to work with 16Mhz, not sure I've tried that compatible setting so will try that too. I haven't had time to what Emukidid suggested yet so have a few suggestions to try now thanks :)