Media Player CE

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
SouLSLayeR

Re: Media Player CE

Post by SouLSLayeR » Fri May 11, 2012 12:59 am

Not worth it, since SDs and micro SDs are dirt cheap now.
Also, the GC can't output HD o_o (without even mentioning the decode part).
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Thu May 17, 2012 10:00 pm

at a minimum...considering the greatest resolution capable on a GC DOL-001 is 480p....

480p looks a lot better than 480i
this has to account as a benefit....
also, a 480p video is hella smaller than a 1080i/p format

then again it all depends on display...
if looking at 480p on...lets say a 32" crt....it will look fantastic compared to a 60" LCD
of course all these points can be argued to either side...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Wed May 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Oh I see...
Last edited by ttbb2 on Fri Jul 11, 2014 11:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
alzen

Post by alzen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:17 pm

Does anyone had problems with blank screen after starting MPlayer CE? It happens to me sometimes, I see only the background and no menu - buttons work like there is a movie loaded but nothing happens. Need to restart GC in that situation - sometimes not only once.

Any solution maybe?
Take a look at my YouTube channel - totally dedicated to retro shooters
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Mon Feb 18, 2013 2:07 pm

question: on the gc, how do i setup mplayer CE to work?
i put the my player folder in SDHC's root and in it i have the Videos and music subfolders with my .mp4 and .mp3. but when i load up mplyaer it brings ups a text saying: "something... Valid folders:
sd:/apps/myplayerce
sd:/ ..../
DVD:/apps..

um, how do i setup myplayer on my sdhc card to work and load up so i can play .mp4/.mp3 files like SS did in his SLGC video?
julius

Post by julius » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:04 pm

Just unzip the latest build in the root of your card and place the media files wherever you desire, at least for gamecube.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:35 pm

julius wrote:Just unzip the latest build in the root of your card and place the media files wherever you desire, at least for gamecube.
nah, kinda already tired this
he latest ver r653 no works, black screen with the above stuff i mentioned. i'll see if i can get a video up of my issue to show you guys. if that helps.
alzen

Post by alzen » Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 pm

Yeah, that's what I have, sometimes I just see background and nothing more.

It's still very buggy that's why I would really like this project is not over for GC but guess it is.
julius

Post by julius » Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:08 pm

Gamerlolwind wrote:
julius wrote:Just unzip the latest build in the root of your card and place the media files wherever you desire, at least for gamecube.
he latest ver r653 no works, black screen with the above stuff i mentioned. i'll see if i can get a video up of my issue to show you guys. if that helps.
He he, I´ve used this homebrew from the very first time they released it, so I consider myself as an ´´expert´´ using it, because I alreadey don´t have a dvd player/pc to see my weekly animes, so consider this sugestions in order to make it work:

-Format and defragment your sd/micro sd
-Unzip the latest build in the root of your card, in this case r658, not r653
-This is VERY important: insert the sd card with the sd card adapter in the slot of your preference, but take in mind you will have to load the Mplayer ALWAYS with that same configuration from now on until you reformat your sd or something like that, i.e.: if you load it from slot A, you have to load it always from slot A, if you load it from slot B and have another adapter with a sd card, you have to load it the same way, etc.
-Remember that because of the lack of ram, you cannot not load most of mp4 larger from 50-60 mb, and in the case that they load, the sound and video will not be syncronized most of the times, so if you can get your files in mpg, avi and others, choose those formats instead.

I know that it seems the author has abandoned this project, but he told me one of these days that he is still working in it. I think that not64 is consuming the most of time he could use for coding, so when the next official wii/cube 64 build is released I think we can see news about Mplayer ce for gamecube.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 pm

julius wrote:
Gamerlolwind wrote:
He he, I´ve used this homebrew from the very first time they released it, so I consider myself as an ´´expert´´ using it, because I alreadey don´t have a dvd player/pc to see my weekly animes, so consider this sugestions in order to make it work:

-Format and defragment your sd/micro sd
-Unzip the latest build in the root of your card, in this case r658, not r653
-This is VERY important: insert the sd card with the sd card adapter in the slot of your preference, but take in mind you will have to load the Mplayer ALWAYS with that same configuration from now on until you reformat your sd or something like that, i.e.: if you load it from slot A, you have to load it always from slot A, if you load it from slot B and have another adapter with a sd card, you have to load it the same way, etc.
-Remember that because of the lack of ram, you cannot not load most of mp4 larger from 50-60 mb, and in the case that they load, the sound and video will not be syncronized most of the times, so if you can get your files in mpg, avi and others, choose those formats instead.

I know that it seems the author has abandoned this project, but he told me one of these days that he is still working in it. I think that not64 is consuming the most of time he could use for coding, so when the next official wii/cube 64 build is released I think we can see news about Mplayer ce for gamecube.
you were right, i fixed the issue,
it was that mplayer CE has an issue with FAT32 formatted cards and won't load on them at all.
but on FAT formatted ones (SD 2gb) it loaded up fine and such like on wii :)

so, the issue was a FAT formatting one, um easy fix.
thanx for the tip, julius
alzen

Post by alzen » Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:33 pm

I'm glad he is still working on it, great news!
larbysniper

Post by larbysniper » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:54 am

I can't seem to get this to work. I'm using a SDML with card formatted to FAT, when I boot the dol from swiss it loads, however there is no menu. the background comes up and the input on the controller works, like it seeks it in the top left, and I can change that stuff, and move the screen around, but no menu at all. I'm using a gamecube btw. I've tried different revisions of mplayer and no success. Can mplayer not load files from the same sdcard mplayer is on, the files are mp4 which I looked up and seem like they should work with mplayer.
alzen

Post by alzen » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:00 am

No, it works. But it's tricky.

Didn't try it with SDML but try to format SD card, put it on and always put it in the same slot. In my case, I also need to start it with another sd cart in slot B as I probably did the first run of MPlayer like that - it remembers it somehow.

This program is great, but it's terribly buggy! It's overloaded with uncomfortable behaviours. And that's the problems.

I still hope someone will update it or at least prepare the sources for it's to be possible to build it on GC and not only Wii. I tried some time ago but guess building for GC is not actual for a long time now.

Didn't know, I have my base content for Mplayer SD Card backed up so if you want it I can mail it to you, send me PM. Than I just add "media" folder and I keep all my media there.

Dunno about mp4, didn't try it. But watch out for HD - GC won't handle them.

EDIT:

Here you have my file:
http://www19.zippyshare.com/v/33508104/file.html

It was too big for forums. Probably some files are not necessary there, but it works for me so I keep using it.
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Thu Sep 19, 2013 12:50 am

Any plans to add disc drive support? It would be cool to be able to play media files that are burned to a mini DVD. This app seems to only support using devices on slot A/B. :(

I happen to have some old mini dvds that I had burned video files to. Swiss was able to read them and navigate the folders, so it looks like my gamecube is able to read the discs. But I can't play any of the AVI files so I don't know how readable they actually are. :P

I would think using the disc drive would be a performance boost and would allow streaming larger files on the fly instead of loading the entire file into ram like it currently does. (I assume it does this because the memory card slots are too slow to stream the video files on demand)

The disc drive is on a faster bus and supports DMA so video playback would work much better from a disc instead of a SD card in the memory card slots. Not to mention folks using drive emulators like the WiiKey Fusion would get even better performance. ;)

Something to think about. ;)
ImageImage
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Tue Nov 26, 2013 6:06 am

Yeah, DVD support would be Plus

Is this the only MP for the Gamecube?
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:10 am

As far as I can tell yeah. Only one out there for the GC.
ImageImage
julius

Post by julius » Wed Dec 25, 2013 2:54 pm

MarioMania wrote:Yeah, DVD support would be Plus

Is this the only MP for the Gamecube?
Well, I am afraid that you guys will have to try out another choice, mfe mortimer edition, if you want to play files through dvd. Unfortunately this version of MPlayer (and the others if he can even release them) wont have dvd support.
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:26 am

Is it possible to load media files from the sd slot on the WKF?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Dec 31, 2013 8:58 pm

It's possible, just needs WKF support added...and maybe updated to latest libOGC too
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:08 am

Aww, I wanted to put some a Movie on a Mini DVD disc

Like Transformers the Movie
julius

Post by julius » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:45 pm

megalomaniac wrote:It's possible, just needs WKF support added...and maybe updated to latest libOGC too
He he, it reminds me this thread viewtopic.php?t=1393&f=15 .
Apache Thunder

Post by Apache Thunder » Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:18 pm

Yeah when I mentioned DVD support, I was saying more to the ability to load media files from the DVD drive. Not sure if the GC has enough power to decode DVDs that are in the DVD movie spec. So that's not something I would expect from the GC. Plus you can't fit a whole lot in DVD movie format on a 1.4GB disc. Even if you had a modded case that accepted full size DVDs, the disc drive's laser module doesn't have the reach to actually read the full disc.
ImageImage
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:34 am

I actually have been having the same problems as larbysniper. I boot mplayer.dol (latest version) from Swiss (Wasp SD port) and it boots "normally" but there is no menu whatsoever. I have an internally wired gc memory card in slot A and an sd gecko in slot B. I've also tried booting mplayer.dol through the gecko (selecting it as the device in swiss) but then I get a error saying that I need to check to make sure mplayer is installed in the correct place. Any ideas? I've already tried reformatting the cards.
alzen

Post by alzen » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:52 pm

Yeah, there were always problems with Mplayer CE - wish someone can fix at least disappearing menu bug.

Although I used it for about a year, just need not to mess things up after it the first good start of the appllication(like keeping SD card always in the same slot etc.).
ttbb2

Post by ttbb2 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 2:13 pm

Is there any chance of this getting any update? (the gamecube version, I mean)