Led voltage question - how many?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
aandrew

Led voltage question - how many?

Post by aandrew » Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:54 pm

Working on a mod which I'm quite excited about and will feature on here once I get the prototype running, it's nearly finished now but I have a question.

I'm putting in 5 x 3.3v 30ma LEDs into the case, one of which replaces the orange power light.
Will it be be ok to run all 5 from that point on the controller board or should I pick the voltage for the other 4 from somewhere else...if so where?
Hoping to get this up and running tonight.

Thanks
iamdablasta

Re: Led voltage question - how many?

Post by iamdablasta » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:35 pm

I am probably doing the same as you.
I am going to add 4 led's (5mm blue led, works at 3.2-3.4volts) to the controller ports, and swap the one that's already in the power light for a blue one.

Remember, voltage is consistent. If you use one thing on a 3.3v circuit, it is 3.3v. If you use 1000x different things on a 3.3v circuit, it is STILL 3.3v. It is only the ampere which is increasing (this can cause a higher heat, and possibly too much power draw for the gc power, I haven't calculated this as I don't think I'll ever run into a problem with this on my gc doing just led mods and case mods.

Also, make sure the led can handle the voltage, some only work within certain ranges.

I personally am going to connect to the fan, and add 4 led's from there to the controller board.
I have a french guide which should explain it simply (I am not french, but it was easy to follow with translation).
Check this one out: http://www.xavboxtuning.com/fr-tuning/g ... ad-gc.php3

Bye post virginity. :(
the game
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:56 am

@ aandrew
use the 3.3v supply from GC..
5 typical LEDs will only draw about 150mA
This is easily safe for the power board to handle..

@ iamdablasta
No need to tap into the 12v at the fan.
this will create the need to add higher value resistors which will have to dissipate more heat to minimize current levels safe for the LED..find a 3v or 5v source on the mainboard or controller board

On a side note, make sure not to tap into the 3v backup battery else it will wear it down faster
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sun Feb 16, 2014 12:48 am

As my post got deleted due to server change, I'll post a short version.

The guide is wrong, and I am sorry. Please, use the controller board for led's. I have tested it and it works great.
Why the guide is wrong, and why his led's haven't burnt out, I don't know.
the game
zigaboo

Post by zigaboo » Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:15 pm

iamdablasta wrote:As my post got deleted due to server change, I'll post a short version.

The guide is wrong, and I am sorry. Please, use the controller board for led's. I have tested it and it works great.
Sorry for the 2 year bump.

what is the best way to power the LEDs after all? Fan or controller board?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:03 am

zigaboo wrote:
iamdablasta wrote:As my post got deleted due to server change, I'll post a short version.

Sorry for the 2 year bump.

what is the best way to power the LEDs after all? Fan or controller board?
Neither power them from the power rail on the motherboard. You have access to 5 volts also for brighter LEDs