Black Label vs. Greatest Hits /Players Choice /Platinum Hits

Talk about games you've played, new games coming out, console hardware, etc..
jlo138

Black Label vs. Greatest Hits /Players Choice /Platinum Hits

Post by jlo138 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:33 pm

Black Label is the Original Release, but in order to get a GH /PC /PH you have to sell so many copies in a certain period of time (doesn't always apply). Now with that said the GH /PC /PH is re released with different artwork (or the same but altered) and a price change. Also bug fixes sometimes happen and additional content is included (sometimes). Now wouldn't the print run on the GH /PC /PH be lower which should make it more sought after (if using that as a reason)? It's not like they sold as many GH /PC /PH as the original releases.

There are diffent variables that apply to each collector which may be artwork, bonus content, bug fixes, music disc and special addition packaging that makes one more collectable over the other... Even "not for resale" or multiple games on one disc editions may be sought after.

I'm starting to collect sealed copies of my favorites and I generally look for what's the cheapest. Except PH on the 360, those are ugly looking.

So what do you prefer and why?
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Black Label vs. Greatest Hits /Players Choice /Platinum

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:41 pm

I prefer original editions of my games, mostly because I've only ever bought or wanted to buy games when they were first released.
Benji_Black

Post by Benji_Black » Tue Apr 22, 2014 3:38 am

The "Greatest Hits" style cases really mess up a good perfect looking row of games.. especially the bright yellow gamecube ones. I always go with originals if possible for that reason.
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:55 pm

What's nice is when you pay for a "Factory Sealed" game and get this... images below...
Seller didn't add a picture and isn't required to since it was listed as "Brand New".
Attachments
image.jpg
No factory packaging.
(608.95 KiB) Not downloaded yet
image.jpg
It has new contents inside...
(628.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:29 pm

Sorry I didn't get what you meant. :/
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:54 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Sorry I didn't get what you meant. :/
The game packaging is opened but still has the security stickers. Notice the game store label. The contents inside the case are sealed new but the case is out of the plastic wrap and is all scratched up. It can't be listed as Brand New since the case which is part of the purchasing content is Used condition. All is there except the plastic wrapping.
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:16 pm

Hmmm yeah indeed. I don't really get the point of collecting sealed games though. :P All games should be ripped and stored in a reliable datacenter but collecting sealed ones... :roll:
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:43 pm

I like when I buy a bunch of games and one turns out to be factory sealed :P
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:12 pm

Yeah it's nice that the game is sealed but I'd open it up to play it instead of leaving it sealed on the shelf. :P
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:43 pm

I collect black labels only, however I am after Starfox Adventures Player's Choice as it is a higher version than the original. They must've patched something
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:50 pm

AC_Orange wrote:I collect black labels only, however I am after Starfox Adventures Player's Choice as it is a higher version than the original. They must've patched something
Actually, the Player's Choice bundles are usually new revisions of the game, which might include some translation fix, bug fixes, glitches, etc.
Sometimes it is a more enhanced version of the game, but the box doesn't help. XD
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:07 am

Metroid Prime NTSC had a 1.1 or 1.01 to fix the infinite door opening issues.
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Apr 26, 2014 4:00 am

ShadowOne333 wrote:
AC_Orange wrote:I collect black labels only, however I am after Starfox Adventures Player's Choice as it is a higher version than the original. They must've patched something
Actually, the Player's Choice bundles are usually new revisions of the game, which might include some translation fix, bug fixes, glitches, etc.
Sometimes it is a more enhanced version of the game, but the box doesn't help. XD
I haven't really seen any others that are different other than Starfox Adventures (I am talking about PAL only here)
Super Smash Bros had 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 while PAL is still only 1.0
MarioMania

Post by MarioMania » Sat May 17, 2014 7:12 pm

Black Label for me
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Sat May 17, 2014 10:29 pm

AC_Orange wrote:
ShadowOne333 wrote:
I haven't really seen any others that are different other than Starfox Adventures (I am talking about PAL only here)
Super Smash Bros had 1.00, 1.01 and 1.02 while PAL is still only 1.0
What? Pal had most updates ever and was beyond 1.02 (it said 1.02, but had more fixes).
http://supersmashbros.wikia.com/wiki/Li ... ces_(SSBM)
All pal releases are 1.02+ if I am not mistaken.
the game
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun May 18, 2014 9:35 pm

Check redump only 1.00 exists in PAL
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun May 18, 2014 9:38 pm

But is redump actually complete ?
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun May 18, 2014 9:50 pm

When it comes to Super Smash Bros Melee it is complete, people including myself have reported that the Player's Choice is indeed identical to Black Label. If there was another version surely someone would've dumped it by now
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Mon May 19, 2014 1:02 pm

Oh god, I don't remember what version I have and I can't check either, we're moving and it's packed far far away. Unreachable.
I was pretty sure PAL was 1.02 only, but maybe the pal 1.02 is marked 1.0 being the one and only pal release?
the game