Want to buy Wii - what I need to know?

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
szczuru

Want to buy Wii - what I need to know?

Post by szczuru » Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:29 pm

As in title. I want to buy Wii. What I need to know? Which model? How to softmod/hardmod?
jlo138

Re: Want to buy Wii - what I need to know?

Post by jlo138 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:35 pm

All of them are able to be modded. I believe the newest update for the Wii is 4.3. There are a few ways to mod different software versions. But most require a game. 4.3 can be done without a game and using banner bomb (or letter bomb) if I remember correctly, or use SSBM, Lego Indiana Jones, or Lego Batman. Not sure what parts though.
So it depends if you want to run DVD backups or not.

Newer Wii models can't run DVD backups but can still use HDD loading. You can play DVD backups from a compatible (has to be able to read Wii game format such as LG) USB DVD burner using uLoader but this doesn't work with GC titles. There are very few brands and specific model numbers that are compatible btw. You can use any USB DVD Burner to watch movies with WiiMC on your Wii though. Here's and example of what I mean: http://youtube.com/watch?v=w6Ut7rgPZfo

If you are completely new to this then you have a lot to learn/read.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:17 pm

I recommend looking into which dvd drives can be used with the different wiikeys. Some newer drives are more picky, and I actually recommend you to buy a good conditioned used wii (they are fucking not worth buying new) as they usually look good as new even if used for a year or two. WODE might be the best modchip in my opinion, but it is very expensive. The wiikey fusion (or wasp fusion) is a lot cheaper and is insanely easy to install.

If you like softmodding you can do it on any wii really.
I personally used the zelda twilight hack back in the days, and once homebrew channel was installed everything just went so smoothly. Softmodding is now extremely easy, you just put the files on the sd card, put it in and it pretty much installs itself.

I recommend this, it is VERY simple. You need to update the wii to 4.3 first (the newest release, which came in 2012...)
http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/LetterBomb
better guide: http://www.wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_setup#Letterbomb

I don't know if you prefer playing games of dvd, sd card or external harddisk (I prefer a harddisk, fastest loading and no issues so far). You should after installing letterbomb on 4.3 google how to play backups from dvd/sd/harddisk on 4.3 using the homebrew channel. I am sure you'll find a guide helping you just fine. I hacked my wii on my own to play dvd's when I was 12, so I think you got this haha.
the game
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:29 am

I don't think you really need a modchip for a Wii, I stopped using wode when devolution was released.
My preference is to get a Wii that can install bootmii to boot2 and can play dvd backups but in all honesty I think I tried a dvd backup like once just to see if it really works.

I would definitely get one that is backwards compatible with gamecube. Read on how to install the homebrew channel and something like wiiflow. Devolution for gamecube games and that's about it. The rest and not the least emulators are very easy to install, you just copy them to the sd card in the right folders
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:15 am

.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT
szczuru

Post by szczuru » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:40 pm

Ok, I've bought Wii for about 60$. It's RVL-001, 4.1X FW (I don't remember and can't check it right now) It have HB Channel already installed :)
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:05 pm

Reset the Wii, update it to 4.3 and reinstall HBC/HackMii.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:26 pm

You may also want to run something to determine the state of all the IOS and to potentially remove any garbage versions (ask here before attempting this)
szczuru

Post by szczuru » Thu May 01, 2014 12:29 am

Ok, what I've done so far:

-Reset Wii to default settings
-Updated to 4.3E
-HB Channel installed (LetterBomb)
-BootMii Installed (as IOS 'cause I can't install it as boot2)
-NAND backup created
-Multi-Mod Manager installed (with wads and patches)
-PriiLoader Installed

What else can I do?/I need to do?

Btw is there any way to boot GC backups? (burned on DVD-R) - I think my Wii can read DVD-R 'cause after inserting DVD-R with GC game I see GC logo in Disc channel.
How to obtain Opera? (WiiShop doesn't work for me :/ ).
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu May 01, 2014 1:24 am

Don't bother with Opera. Why did you install PriiLoader btw?

If it boots DVD-R from the Wii channel, just use that to boot GC Homebrew/backups.
szczuru

Post by szczuru » Thu May 01, 2014 2:23 am

emu_kidid wrote:Don't bother with Opera. Why did you install PriiLoader btw?

If it boots DVD-R from the Wii channel, just use that to boot GC Homebrew/backups.

I've followed a guide about softmod and there was a step with PriiLoader (in short words explained as necessary for restoring semi bricks etc with ability to boot eg Homebrew channel before System menu loads [if eg system menu is bricked]).

I can't boot GC DVD-R backup through Disc channel. After inserting DVD I see GC logo in disc channel but after selecting it cosnole reboots. I've tried NeoGamma but after selecting "LaunchDVD" I'm getting error "Bad burn/DVD+R/Bad ISO".
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Thu May 01, 2014 6:02 am

In order to boot burned Wii discs through the disc channel you need to install Dark Corps. In order to boot GC through the disc channel you need a custom wad for that. I don't believe I'm allowed to link to any of those files here... Installing that might break official gc disc compatibility as many have reported including myself. It is easily fixable. Or install DIOS MIOS and load gc from a HDD.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu May 01, 2014 7:18 am

Or if you have the originals in a working state, use Devolution.
szczuru

Post by szczuru » Thu May 01, 2014 2:30 pm

emu_kidid wrote:You may also want to run something to determine the state of all the IOS and to potentially remove any garbage versions (ask here before attempting this)
I've checked using SysCheck. Results are in attachment.

//Edit

GC games works from DVD-R :D I've tried Swiss r256 burned on DVD-R and... works :D
Attachments
syscheck.zip
(2.41 KiB) Downloaded 375 times
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu May 01, 2014 10:36 pm

Glad to hear it worked out. Also, isn't $60 a bit much for a Wii? they're $30 a pop here at used stores.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri May 02, 2014 4:59 am

Here Wii's sell for >€50. :?
szczuru

Post by szczuru » Fri May 02, 2014 6:25 am

szczuru wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:You may also want to run something to determine the state of all the IOS and to potentially remove any garbage versions (ask here before attempting this)
I've checked using SysCheck. Results are in attachment.

//Edit

GC games works from DVD-R :D I've tried Swiss r256 burned on DVD-R and... works :D

In my country used Wii cost ~80$ so it was good price for me ;) (~60$ usd with shipping).
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Fri May 02, 2014 9:20 pm

PriiLoader is useful for at least one thing: automatically skipping the health warning screen. Whether the rest is useful depends on your usage patterns.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
MarSAttK

Post by MarSAttK » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:23 pm

Advantages/disadvantages of WKF/Wasp vs softmod ?