Nintendont hits version 2: now has working audio streaming!

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
noobcube

Nintendont hits version 2: now has working audio streaming!

Post by noobcube » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:45 am

Hey Everyone,

Good news for those who would like to play their old Gamecube favorites on a Wii or Wii U. Nintendont has recently hit an important milestone. Thanks to the hard work of FIX94, it now has working audio streaming for games like Star Fox Adventures and Eternal Darkness.

https://code.google.com/p/nintendon-t/
BenoitRen

Re: Nintendont hits version 2: now has working audio streami

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 am

No retail disc support? No memory card support? What the hell?
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
badsector

Post by badsector » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:43 pm

Could this audio streaming support be ported over to Swiss somehow? :D
Last edited by badsector on Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tueidj

It's all in the name

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:56 pm

BenoitRen wrote:No retail disc support? No memory card support? What the hell?
Nintendon't doesn't do what Nintendo does.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:54 pm

Emulated Memory Card for sure, which is in no way a hassle, and retail disc?
I have to remind you that the main purpose this app exists is for those that have either a Family Wii, Mini Wii or Wii U which doesn't allow GC discs at all...
Which might also answer your "no real memory card" comment.
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:59 pm

Does it support converting Memory Card to the emulated kind? Because this looks promising to me. What is the highest resolution Nintendont can reach? I know Wii can reach 1080p with hdmikey.
the game
badsector

Post by badsector » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:01 pm

iamdablasta wrote:What is the highest resolution Nintendont can reach? I know Wii can reach 1080p with hdmikey.
But just upscaled, right?
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:07 pm

iamdablasta wrote:Does it support converting Memory Card to the emulated kind? Because this looks promising to me. What is the highest resolution Nintendont can reach? I know Wii can reach 1080p with hdmikey.
Yeah it supports emulated Memory Cards.

As for the highest resolution, for Gamecube games I am not sure, perhaps 480p if Progressive scan is enabled or forced.
I am not sure though, you might want to read the specs and options that Nintendont supports first
iamdablasta

Post by iamdablasta » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:23 pm

badsector wrote:
iamdablasta wrote:What is the highest resolution Nintendont can reach? I know Wii can reach 1080p with hdmikey.
But just upscaled, right?
It claims to be internal, and if it was just upscaling It would be more logical to just use an upscaler instead of something that goes from usb to hdmi. At least for me.

Have no experience with it though, but it seems promising.
the game
badsector

Post by badsector » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:08 pm

I don't think, that a cable or adapter could get 1080p out of this console. It is too weak and I could not think of a technical possibility to do it this way ^^
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Afaik Nintendont was created primary as a GC games solution for the Wii U (the Wii already had DIOS MIOS). Seeing that the Wii U lacks memory card slots and its drive lacking compatibility with GC discs, it's no wonder that Nintendont doesn't support memory cards and retail discs.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:06 pm

Cubelover wrote:
Afaik Nintendont was created primary as a GC games solution for the Wii U (the Wii already had DIOS MIOS). Seeing that the Wii U lacks memory card slots and its drive lacking compatibility with GC discs, it's no wonder that Nintendont doesn't support memory cards and retail discs.
www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=26817#p26817
M tha MaN

Post by M tha MaN » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:14 pm

Cool. Thx 4 the information.

If Fix94 could get the Wii U Pro Controller to work with Nintendon't it would be awesome.

I'd use devolution, but I sold my Wii before buying a Wii U so I have no opportunity to confirm my backups to my originals. And since the f****** WiiU drives is not compatible with GC-Discs I have no chance -.-

Who knows, perhaps the Wii U GC Controller Adapter will be supported when it comes out when SSB releases :)
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:42 pm

M tha MaN wrote:Cool. Thx 4 the information.

If Fix94 could get the Wii U Pro Controller to work with Nintendon't it would be awesome.

I'd use devolution, but I sold my Wii before buying a Wii U so I have no opportunity to confirm my backups to my originals. And since the f****** WiiU drives is not compatible with GC-Discs I have no chance -.-

Who knows, perhaps the Wii U GC Controller Adapter will be supported when it comes out when SSB releases :)
Seeing how things are going, the most important feature that might be on the works right now would be Bluetooth support.
Fix94 said himself that he was working on getting the Wii U Pro Controller to connect with the app, but that was a long time ago and he didn't got that far.

Here:
http://gbatemp.net/threads/nintendont.3 ... st-5074241

That was his last reply about that, which was like 2 days ago I think.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:07 am

iamdablasta wrote:Does it support converting Memory Card to the emulated kind?
Only if you're lucky and have third-party memory cards that use all zeroes for their unique serial. Direct dumps of first-party cards won't work.

It's funny how people are asking how audio streaming was implemented and FIX94 isn't answering... is there some reason he doesn't want to admit following the directions given in https://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/sour ... +notes.txt ? Possibly because he knows that was meant to be confidential information that I passed to emu_kidid?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:32 am

tueidj wrote: It's funny how people are asking how audio streaming was implemented and FIX94 isn't answering... is there some reason he doesn't want to admit following the directions given in https://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/sour ... +notes.txt ? Possibly because he knows that was meant to be confidential information that I passed to emu_kidid?
I guess I'm solely to blame that I left that file up there, but it was the last thing on my mind at the time that someone else would use it in anything other than Swiss (I'd hoped someone would've perhaps had a stab at implementing it in Swiss before anything else), oh well.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:25 am

tueidj wrote:It's funny how people are asking how audio streaming was implemented and FIX94 isn't answering... is there some reason he doesn't want to admit following the directions given in https://code.google.com/p/swiss-gc/sour ... +notes.txt ? Possibly because he knows that was meant to be confidential information that I passed to emu_kidid?
The file was posted on April 30, 2012. Three months later crediar claimed via twitter that streaming audio for DIOS MIOS has been in the works for some time, but gave up because there was not enough memory left. Nintendont became open source on April 27, 2014. 4 months later audio streaming has been implemented. :mrgreen:
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:59 am

He never actually worked on streaming for DIOS MIOS, that was just a knee jerk response to it being implemented in Devolution (so people would keep donating money...).
Nintendont was open-sourced in December 2013, it's taken over 8 months for it to achieve what Devolution already had in its very first public release and it only managed to do it by following the audio streaming secret sauce recipe posted by emu_kidid.
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:09 am

Oh my mistake then. I thought Nintendont became open source on April 27 because the google code page was created at that date. Anyway, your sauce seemed to be very tasty :P
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:12 am

That was just when the "new" project was created because the older two (the original one and then the usb branch) were closed for copyright violations.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:42 am

Viper GC had working audio streaming on Gamecube backups in 2004. Wiinja had working audio streaming on Wii drives in early 2007. What evidence is there that Nintendont does not have its own solution or perhaps borrowed from an earlier approach?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:49 am

The evidence is that the source code implements the method described in the document, and that emu_kidid told me FIX94 was using it as a guide to implement audio streaming several days before the code was public.
Audio streaming from discs is trivial compared to implementing it in software considering the disk drive hardware does all the work.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:54 am

Ok Thanks.

If that's correct, is there anything wrong with that? Shouldn't programming ideas be shared amongst the homebrew community, so others can build better software based upon previous work?

Edit: For example, perhaps FIX94's solution could be adapted for Swiss?
Last edited by noobcube on Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:57 am

Sure. But when someone asks point blank "How was this done?" perhaps an honest answer should be given instead of just letting people praise it as some miracle breakthrough.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:04 am

I know from testing a variety of Wii modchips that most failed to implement proper audio streaming from disc, so I'm guessing it must not be that easy to figure out. From the sound it if, it still took FIX94 a solid week of work even if he used the document as a template; I haven't seen any direct response one way or another from anyone working on Nintendont. Perhaps I just don't understand why homebrew coders don't just work together on these things and share their ideas instead of wasting time trying to solve problems someone else has already figured out.... :?