Devolution - Gamecube loader for Wii/Wii U updated to r234

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
tueidj

Re: Devolution - Gamecube loader for Wii/Wii U updated to r2

Post by tueidj » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:45 am

Even if you get it to latch and read the disc, it won't identify it (same as putting in a regular DVD).
wii_HD

Post by wii_HD » Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:13 am

noobcube wrote:Have you actually tried this? Seem to recall that others have used an adapter and the Wii U still rejected the disc.
I do not have a wiiU unit.
Playing - Super Mario Sunshine - DariusBurst CS - Hotline Miami 2 - Rpi2 Lakka - X360 BurnOut Paradise City
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:13 pm

When I get a Wii U around the time that Smash Bros. comes out, I think I look into it (that adapter).

Actually, I'm trying to find one somewhere online now and am having some trouble in my search. Any ideas?

Wii / Gamecube disks are so similar that I think you're on to something.

And tueidj, correct me if I'm wrong, but we wouldn't need the Wii U to accept the disk in 'normal operation', just when Devolution or a homebrew loader is open, the same as the DVD playing applications that exist for Wii, or how the Gamecube only recognizes an SD card in the memory slot when running Swiss/SDload.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:48 pm

The drive will not recognize a gamecube disc, whether it's in wiiU mode, wii mode, or running homebrew. Buying one of those adapters would be a waste of money.
Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:35 pm

Listen to tueidj. He is right.

On the newer "family" Wii's it was possible to modify the drive so that GC games could still be read by the DVD drive. On the WiiU there is a chip that has been removed from the drive board that is used to read GC games.

The images are gone now. but here is the thread/post discussing it: http://gbatemp.net/threads/gamecube-iso ... st-4652406
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:17 am

Here's a somewhat random question - when the controller is unactive (that is, the player lights are flashing), is there a particular reason (technical, preferential, etc) why one couldn't alternatively just press the A button on their controller or wiimote or the like in order to activate the controller?

I mean, currently it kind of feels like how the title screens for older games work where "Press Start" literally means you have to press "Start" and nothing else will work; by comparison since the N64 many games have allowed you to just press A at their title screens, in fact I don't know a single GameCube game that doesn't let you press A instead of Start at the title screen.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:42 am

Think of it like an on/off switch - how are you going to turn it off?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:48 am

Well, optimally with the home button like usual. The idea was to retain the current home button functionality, both in activating and deactivating controllers, but also just allowing the A button alone to activate controllers.

EDIT: To clarify, the A button would not deactivate a controller.

However, you're saying that it's like an on-off switch - that makes it sound like it's not possible (at least without massive amounts of recoding) to implement an "activate controller" function for a button without said button also functioning as a "deactivate controller" button as well. Is this accurate?
SuperrSonic

Post by SuperrSonic » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:36 pm

Great update, too bad cIOS never added any neat options like screenshots or force vi stretching for 4:3 mode.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Sep 01, 2014 5:55 pm

It's not really something that a cIOS could do, IOS doesn't handle video or any of the other legacy GC hardware (except the disk drive for security reasons).
Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:53 am

Hi guys, just registered on this site. Devo's readme says that the NAND can be used to store savegames. How can we use that function?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:38 am

You have to create the memcard file on the NAND and expand it to the required size, like so: http://pastie.org/pastes/9552501/text?k ... nj7pq4gwua
Alternatively instead of just filling the file with zeroes you could copy data from a physical memory card or an existing emulated memory card file.
Then set memcard_cluster to 1 in Devo's global config before launching it.
Shiranui

Post by Shiranui » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:35 pm

Thanks for answering, tueidj. What do you mean by "filling the file with zeroes"? How can I edit "Devo's global config" before launching it? Yes, as you see, I have no much idea about these things. Anyways, thanks for sharing this great app.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:27 pm

Whenever I use the standalone Devo app (no usb loaders), the list of the games is not displayed at all.
I have all my games inside folders in /games/
Is it normal that Devo doesn't recognize games inside any folders?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:38 pm

Yes, because it's silly to require folders for each individual .iso file.
ShadowOne333

Post by ShadowOne333 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:49 am

tueidj wrote:Yes, because it's silly to require folders for each individual .iso file.
What about multi-disc games?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:53 am

ShadowOne333 wrote:
tueidj wrote:Yes, because it's silly to require folders for each individual .iso file.
What about multi-disc games?
Devolution is all knowing and will scan your entire games dir.
noobcube

Post by noobcube » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:35 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Devolution is all knowing and will scan your entire games dir.
In that case, can Devolution finally put to rest speculation about the ultimate origin of everything and whether we live in a multiverse?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:57 pm

that code is probably in there somewhere...
türme

Post by türme » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:14 pm

hi,

Pardon my English I'm using a translator. I just want to ask how can I play F Zero AX in Devolution R234, I have a (mod) where I play but older version. How to play F Zero AX in R234?
gunner007

Post by gunner007 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 5:25 pm

Stupid question tueidj.

I'm currently using 234 and it's working great. In the future I'm looking to get a WiiU Pro and see you have support. Right now my WiiMote has all my games authenticated on it and works. When using a WiiU Pro controller, do you just activate it like you would a 2nd wiimote on devolution?

(Wasn't sure if had to reauthenticate games on it) - though I may be just retarded and realizing that you can't use the WiiU controller to get into Wii mode anyways.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:39 am

Using a wiiu pro controller has nothing to do with authentication.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 10:22 pm

I noticed r239 is out, and I never even tried r234, so I thought I'd catch up and test r239 right away.

However, I'm running into a pretty big problem problem. When playing Nintendo Puzzle Collection (Japanese), it wants me to format my memory card (real or emulated). Then when I play any of my other games (all are US), it wants me to format my memory card again. If I then play a different US game, it will not ask me to format my memory card, but as soon as a play Nintendo Puzzle Collection again, it wants to yet again format my memory card.

To clarify, this issue occurs with both a real and emulated memory card.

For now I've gone back to r200 so that I can play my games without losing the save data, especially those on a real memory card since I do still play games from disc from time to time, and my actual GameCube still works great. However, I unfortunately I can't confirm whether r234 had the same issue.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Sep 26, 2014 12:59 am

That's how a real gamecube works, you can't mix saves for EUR/PAL games with JAP games on the same card.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 1:41 am

tueidj wrote:That's how a real gamecube works, you can't mix saves for EUR/PAL games with JAP games on the same card.
Oh, really? That's interesting because when running Nintendo Puzzle Collection from the actual disc via GeckoOS, I was able to use my US-formatted memory card without re-formatting...

I hope I'm not being blasphemous in making a suggestion, but perhaps Devolution could use separate memcard.bin files for each region, one for USA, one for JAP, and one for PAL? (say, memcardU.bin, memcardJ.bin, and memcardP.bin)

As it is, it's pretty much impossible to save a game from a different region unless one uses r200, uses multiple physical memory cards (which obviously wouldn't work on a Family Wii or a Wii U), or manually switches out the memcard.bin file via a file browser or by using a seperate storage device (which kind of defeats the purpose of a USB loader in the first place).