converting .THP video files to other formats?

Gamerlolwind

converting .THP video files to other formats?

Post by Gamerlolwind » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:45 pm

Hi guys,
i've been recently fooling around with the Zelda Coolector's Editon game on my pc,
using the GC tool and GC rebulider to see the files of the game,

i found out that the .tgc files can be converted to .gcm and then opened in these tools to take the .thp files from them.

the DOS cmd commands for the "tgctogcm" tool and "gcmtotgc" is really easy to use.
so i got the .thp video files and played them using the play 1.5 and these files also play using FFmpeg play too.

but i got thinking, can these gc .thp video files be somehow converted to .avi or .mp4 formats?

i saw a post on gbatemp that a youtuber had uploaded a .thp video file of SSBB Lucias video on youtube just like that and youtube got it to work?

how?

also i checked my zelda ocarina multi pack to see if i can find the preview videos of the games like zelda, wario, metroid etc, but the videos aren't in .thp but in "S_Zelda_snd.h4m"

why no .thp?
Last edited by Gamerlolwind on Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: converting .THP video files to other formats?

Post by emu_kidid » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:57 am

THP isn't some kind of "standard" for GameCube and Wii, some games use THP, some use H4M, others use BIK (Bink).

I don't know of any converter though.
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Sun Jan 18, 2015 3:02 pm

If ffmpeg can play it, it can convert it. Good luck finding a good GUI tool if you don't use a Mac, though. Use Handbrake if you use a Mac.

Personally I use it from the command line.
Hardware: Wii (PAL)
Hardware configuration: System Menu 4.1E, Priiloader
Swiss boot method: Modified Wii Swiss Booter provided by Extrems
Software medium: Retail discs
AC_Orange

Post by AC_Orange » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:50 pm

I only ever converted the movies on Sonic Mega Collection, they were in Sofdec format.
Handbrake is available for Linux and Windows too

What sort of quality would we get if we feed the component video and analogue audio into an amplifier and just record the movies on a hdd recorder?

I got the equipment but not the time anymore to pursue something like this
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:57 pm

AC_Orange wrote:I only ever converted the movies on Sonic Mega Collection, they were in Sofdec format.
Handbrake is available for Linux and Windows too
The Windows version is not a native application. It requires the .NET Framework.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Tue Jan 20, 2015 4:07 pm

emu_kidid wrote:THP isn't some kind of "standard" for GameCube and Wii, some games use THP, some use H4M, others use BIK (Bink).

I don't know of any converter though.
humm, thanx for the info, emu_kidid :)
yeah the .h4m format for video seemed weird to me, maybe cause i never saw that kind of format before.
.BIK, i wonder which games use IBK for video files?
BenoitRen wrote:If ffmpeg can play it, it can convert it. Good luck finding a good GUI tool if you don't use a Mac, though. Use Handbrake if you use a Mac.

Personally I use it from the command line.
yeah, ffmpeg player is cool that it can play these files, um it can convert them? i didn't know that, um with which tool?

i have a mac aswell so i can use handbrake, oh sweet, i didn't know handbrake can convert gc video files to .avi or mp4 or whatever video format?
i'll give handbrake a shot too.

thanx for the very helpful info, BenoitRen :lol:
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Tue Jan 20, 2015 5:24 pm

@BenoitRen

I tried using Handbrake the newest version on my mac to convert the navi.thp file or the retrospec movie.thp to something but when i put these in handbrake they show up on the select open file for handbrake, but the sources show: (00h00s00m)

why? why do they show up as no duration but can be read by handbrake? :?: :(

while their file sizes are correct and such.

any help?
BenoitRen

Post by BenoitRen » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:11 am

I've never installed Handbrake myself, but did you install or point to your ffmpeg installation? That'd explain it. Otherwise I have no idea.
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:00 pm

BenoitRen wrote:I've never installed Handbrake myself, but did you install or point to your ffmpeg installation? That'd explain it. Otherwise I have no idea.
success!!! i was able to easily convert the retrospect.thp and navi.thp to .mp4 very easy using the windows GUI program: WinFF.

but only the .thp files, the .h4m files winff can't play in it's FFmpeg player :(

in any case it worked :)

The converted .thp video files in .mp4!

PokemonAcer

Post by PokemonAcer » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:55 pm

VLC can play it, and it has a convert function. The Bink videos are convertable using their studio (I used it a while back for MJ video conversion because I was bored), and they convert into MP4.