Cleanrip - Split files on NTFS even when I told it not to

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
Cyber Akuma

Cleanrip - Split files on NTFS even when I told it not to

Post by Cyber Akuma » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:24 am

So, I am trying to use the Project M ISO builder to mod my copy of Smash Bros Brawl into Project M 3.5.

The version of the ISO I had ripped with USB Loader GX tossed me several invalid partition errors, I figured this might be because USB Loader GX doesn't do a clean rip of the game.

So I installed Cleanrip to my Wii, and plugged in a NTFS USB drive.

I set Dual Layer to Yes, Chunk Size to MAX, and New Device Per Chunk to No. I wanted it to rip the game into a single ISO.

After about 30 minutes, it was finished, and said that the file was even redump verified.

So I plugged the USB drive into my PC and..... was surprised to find TWO iso files. RSBE01.iso and RSBE01.part0.iso, being 8 gigs and 8 megs respectively....

I tried to join them, but the joined version didn't have a matching CRC/MD5/SHA-1. The single RSBE01.iso file however, did.

I am confused here, what is the RSBE01.part0.iso file? Why did it still split it when I told it not to? Why does the CRC only match for the RSBE01.iso file? How can I tell if I need to join the RSBE01.part0.iso file with RSBE01.iso or if it's just junk data?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Cleanrip - Split files on NTFS even when I told it not t

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:33 am

How big in bytes is the RSBE01.iso file? If it matches the MD5/SHA-1 on PC you should be fine.

Did you accidentally run it before in CleanRip with a split option set?
Cyber Akuma

Post by Cyber Akuma » Wed Feb 11, 2015 7:28 am

It's 8,511,160,320 bytes, the other file is 8,192,000 bytes.

Now that you mention it I did cancel a previous rip, maybe that's what this is, odd that it is exactly 8MB though, and the timestamp on the file is just a minute earlier than the other 8gig file, the process took about 20-30 min to rip the disk so if it's a junk file from the previous canceled rip it should have more than a minute in-between.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:52 am

The wii filesystem libraries don't have great timestamp handling, it's probably the creation time rather than the last-modified time.
q8v08

Post by q8v08 » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:19 pm

Honestly your better off using cfg usb loader to rip Wii games, it allows you to select individual partitions, granted it does wbfs rips instead of iso though. One extra thing I think I like about it is, it's the only software that doesn't crap out half way through when transfering gc games from usb to sd like wiiexplorer always does.
Cleanrip won't even work on my ntfs, ext4 partitioned usb stick, it dumps about 2-30mb on the nttfs partition then fails.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Feb 11, 2015 10:14 pm

Did you misread the part where cleanrip worked exactly as expected and dumped a valid file for the OP? Why would they be "better off" using a different dumper that creates an image that isn't even compatible with the program they're trying to use?
q8v08

Post by q8v08 » Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:35 am

The .wbfs format doesn't dump the extra padded dummy data so it dumps games quicker and they take up less space on smaller sized usb portable hdd / usb sticks, wbfs can easily be converted back to an .iso on a computer.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:59 am

Then OP would be back where they started, getting errors about invalid partitions because they're not properly compatible with WBFS due to only being used by SSBB (plus the game has already been dumped correctly, saying it should be done again with a different program because it's faster makes absolutely no sense...)