Cloning the GameCube component cable

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Carb0

Re: Cloning the GameCube component cable

Post by Carb0 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:38 pm

Is it possible to use a LCMXO2-640HC-4TG100I instead of a LCMXO2-640HC-4TG100C? The I version has a lower operating frequency. Unfortunately, RS-Online doesn't carry the C version. Mouser and Digikey have it but the shipping costs are ridiculous in my country.
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:11 pm

Carb0 wrote:Is it possible to use a LCMXO2-640HC-4TG100I instead of a LCMXO2-640HC-4TG100C? The I version has a lower operating frequency.
Yes, that should be no problem.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
Carb0

Post by Carb0 » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:47 pm

Unseen wrote:
Carb0 wrote:Is it possible to use a LCMXO2-640HC-4TG100I instead of a LCMXO2-640HC-4TG100C? The I version has a lower operating frequency.
Yes, that should be no problem.
Great. Thank you.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:42 am

Ok I returned all the useless adapter crap and got a 21.5 Samsung led monitor and everything is great. I'm getting proper resolution now input 660x448p60 output 720x480p60. Now some games have different resolution then others a good example of this is legend of Zelda collectors edition. This is the only game (so far) that will fit the whole screen area and looks the best in my opinion. I will make a video after I arrange my setup around and get rid of all these TVs in my house.
happy_bunny

Post by happy_bunny » Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:11 am

The vhdl code works fine on my LG tv I do have an older cut down verion of gc lite running though before you put your tvs in the bin can you try disabling the line doubler and scanline stuff. This is how i have it setup here and it works.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:04 pm

happy_bunny wrote:The vhdl code works fine on my LG tv I do have an older cut down verion of gc lite running though before you put your tvs in the bin can you try disabling the line doubler and scanline stuff. This is how i have it setup here and it works.
Don't worry there going back in storage. I just can't be tripping all over the place just walking around the house
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:03 pm

I might be the only one here with gcvideo-dvi and qoob together. But if anyone is willing to try this project and have a qoob pro/SX and your used to using 480p forcing from the qoob menu with gcvideo-dvi think again. I'm in the process of making a video showing features and overall performance. While doing this video I ran into some unknown bugs and issues especially while using the qoob.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:37 pm

andre104623 wrote:I might be the only one here with gcvideo-dvi and qoob together. But if anyone is willing to try this project and have a qoob pro/SX and your used to using 480p forcing from the qoob menu with gcvideo-dvi think again. I'm in the process of making a video showing features and overall performance. While doing this video I ran into some unknown bugs and issues especially while using the qoob.
There's not enough interest in forcing 480p with qoob, at least for NTSC games. I ended up starting my own list of test results.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/qoob-us-jpn ... st.358717/
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:59 pm

theclaw wrote:
andre104623 wrote:I might be the only one here with gcvideo-dvi and qoob together. But if anyone is willing to try this project and have a qoob pro/SX and your used to using 480p forcing from the qoob menu with gcvideo-dvi think again. I'm in the process of making a video showing features and overall performance. While doing this video I ran into some unknown bugs and issues especially while using the qoob.
There's not enough interest in forcing 480p with qoob, at least for NTSC games. I ended up starting my own list of test results.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/qoob-us-jpn ... st.358717/
I know there isn't that's why I said I was probably the only one. I just comparing between Nintendo's component cable and the gcvideo-dvi. Swiss is what I use for forcing some games for 480p with ether two I just want to see what happens if you would use qoob or homebrew. Some games act a little funny with the gcvideo-dvi and the same games work fine with the original cable thats why I'm playing a lot of games and I still need to try some homebrew.
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:42 am

Hmm sounds strange. Game shouldn't have any awareness gcvideo-dvi is present.
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 5:51 am

theclaw wrote:Game shouldn't have any awareness gcvideo-dvi is present.
The only thing it can tell is that the "component cable connected" signal is active, but that is also activated by the official component cable. Other than that, the data flow is strictly from the Cube to GCVideo and not back.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:34 am

By the way, I've begun testing wiki-izing the compatibility list.

http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... ility_List
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:43 am

Unseen wrote:
theclaw wrote:Game shouldn't have any awareness gcvideo-dvi is present.
The only thing it can tell is that the "component cable connected" signal is active, but that is also activated by the official component cable. Other than that, the data flow is strictly from the Cube to GCVideo and not back.
Ok for example super Mario sunshine will be fine if I use gcvideo-dvi and the component cable by themselves and with swiss. Now if I force 480p with qoob instead the gcvideo-dvi will show a green bar at the bottom then if I turn off the cube then turn it back on to the qoob screen which is at 480i the picture will cut in and out and there will be flickering pixles on the left side of the screen. If I turn off the forcing and boot normally this never happens. This happens with both monitors and other games never with the component cable so it must be gcvideo related. It also seems related to games that don't support 480p and need to be forced. I can't see if its caused by linedoubling ether since my display won't work with 480i without being enabled. I mean you can solve everything by just using swiss but you never know someone might want to try this project and has been living under a rock for 3 years and still uses a qoob for everything.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:47 am

theclaw wrote:By the way, I've begun testing wiki-izing the compatibility list.

http://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.ph ... ility_List
Oh that's cool I haven't seen that.
Xesxen

Post by Xesxen » Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:20 pm

I guess this isn't what you're looking for? http://www.microprocessor.org/HDMISpecification13a.pdf

Edit: I was somehow on page 1, so that was re: HDMI implementation... this probably has popped up before... :oops:
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:39 pm

andre104623 wrote:Oh that's cool I haven't seen that.
Yeah it'll be nicer. The original excluded PAL, I should also try sorting and/or color coding features.
But don't want to get too far off topic.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed May 06, 2015 2:50 am

I made a short video showing basic usage of the gcvideo-dvi.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDk3sW5i3XQ
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon May 11, 2015 5:16 pm

@Unseen If you have any beta firmware's that you think would get the gcvideo-dvi working on a TV or just improvment I ordered a TXDI programmer and fixed a old desktop computer so I should be able to flash the pluto a lot better then getting to the JTAG points. Overall its been working just fine I have a total of 23 hours playing Zelda with video and sound just coming from the pluto.
JohnSmith1882

Post by JohnSmith1882 » Fri May 15, 2015 2:19 am

As a complete noob in this area, I only somewhat understand what a lot of the github stuff means (and somewhat is being generous to my ability). Not to be unthankful or anything (because that's completely not the case), but how can someone like me use this information to get component video? Could someone give a step-by-step of how to make this, or should I just wait until someone is willing to make and sell this mod because it'll be way beyond my ability?

And from what I've read on here (if I understood it properly), the component/dvi cable itself would have to be soldered directly to the gamecube. If that's the case, would it be possible to use the source files and pcbs to mod the cube with component out ports. So something on the back of a gamecube. Just figured that would be slightly more appealing than always having a cable attached to the cube.

This is super cool by the way.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri May 15, 2015 3:19 am

JohnSmith1882 wrote:As a complete noob in this area, I only somewhat understand what a lot of the github stuff means (and somewhat is being generous to my ability). Not to be unthankful or anything (because that's completely not the case), but how can someone like me use this information to get component video? Could someone give a step-by-step of how to make this, or should I just wait until someone is willing to make and sell this mod because it'll be way beyond my ability?

And from what I've read on here (if I understood it properly), the component/dvi cable itself would have to be soldered directly to the gamecube. If that's the case, would it be possible to use the source files and pcbs to mod the cube with component out ports. So something on the back of a gamecube. Just figured that would be slightly more appealing than always having a cable attached to the cube.

This is super cool by the way.
Yes, looking at your pic it is possible to do that on the cube but would have to be done by yourself or pay someone to do it for you. GCvideo-lite you need some advanced soldering skills. GCvideo-DVI you just need a pluto 2x HDMI, Wire, solder, luck maybe. KNJN will program the board for you I have confirmed this by asking them by email you just have to tell them to program it with the correct .bit (that you need to send to them) before you order the board. Just remember I think that there will never be a plug-and-play version so your going to have to solder something.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri May 15, 2015 4:02 am

andre104623 wrote:Just remember I think that there will never be a plug-and-play version so your going to have to solder something.

....pfffft
you underestimate the power of the MEGA
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri May 15, 2015 4:14 am

megalomaniac wrote:
andre104623 wrote:Just remember I think that there will never be a plug-and-play version so your going to have to solder something.

....pfffft
:shock: oh I have been corrected again.
MockyLock

Post by MockyLock » Fri May 15, 2015 5:02 am

A new cat from the bag...?
JohnSmith1882

Post by JohnSmith1882 » Fri May 15, 2015 5:06 am

megalomaniac wrote:

....pfffft
Wink wink nudge nudge ;) , right
.........RIGHT? :P
lev11

Post by lev11 » Fri May 15, 2015 1:14 pm

Blimey @andre104623 looks like you have been unlucky!
My GC-video DVI on my standard PAL gamecube has worked on all the following:

Samsung TV
Panasonic TV
LG TV
Benq monitor (via HDMI -> DVI cable)
Marantz AV amp
2 x different unbranded cheapo PC monitors

Basically everything I can access with a HDMI input has worked, though some don't like 240p just adding linedouble + with or without scanlines sorts that.