Devolution - Gamecube loader for Wii/Wii U updated to r234

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
deshayzilla

Re: Devolution - Gamecube loader for Wii/Wii U updated to r234

Post by deshayzilla » Sat Jul 11, 2015 9:38 pm

So running the game through dolphin I can get it to recognize the two Wii systems however the Wiis won't recognize each other. On dolphin the game says there are 3 gamecubes that could connect, however on both Wiis they only say two cubes are connected. So its like the two actual consoles won't recognize each other. I tried changing my upnp settings and multicast settings. Oh well atleast I can get it to connect to my PC.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jul 12, 2015 9:29 am

Check your AP isolation settings, the router might be blocking communication between devices on wifi, what's odd is that they can see a wired device which shouldn't be the case if ap isolation is enabled.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sun Jul 12, 2015 11:49 am

It's more likely to not be forwarding multicast traffic on the wifi segment (even if that's where it originates) or assigning it minimum QoS. I thought router manufacturers stepped up their game when UPnP actually started being used by stuff though.
Cisz.

Post by Cisz. » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:28 pm

Hi tueidj! Since the Wii Classic Controllers (non-Pro) support analog input on their triggers, could you disable the ZL-button's "switch right stick to analog trigger emulation"-function for them? Or if you can't detect that, could you add an optional flag to the launcher to disable the function completely?
The analog trigger inputs aren't used in most games and personally I only have non-Pro Wii Classic Controllers. When we play 4-player games, people get really confused when they press the ZL-button and the game suddenly controls weird.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Jul 29, 2015 4:24 pm

No, because using the stick is still preferable for some games (especially driving games).
You can't accidentally press ZL on a classic controller. Just tell them to stop button mashing.
Flak Beard

Re: Devolution - Gamecube loader for Wii/Wii U updated to r2

Post by Flak Beard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:51 pm

tueidj wrote:
ShadowOne333 wrote:I have one problem with RE4 on Devo.
No matter what settings I use, the vertcal lenght of the game doesn't cover my entire screen, while the horizontal one does.
I tried using different video settings, widescreen, everything and is still the same.

It looks as if I were watching a cutscene with two black borders on the top and bottom of the game while in core gameplay.
Not sure why you're saying that's a problem with Devolution, haven't you played the game normally and seen that it does the same thing?

Also you obviously haven't tried the latest build with widescreen patching on...
So does the RE4 widescreen patch in r253 still letterbox like the original game (black bars at top and bottom) or does it fill the entire screen like the PS2/360 version?

Thanks! :)
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 pm

It's meant to just remove the letterboxing, making the image take up the full screen.
Flak Beard

Post by Flak Beard » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:09 pm

tueidj wrote:It's meant to just remove the letterboxing, making the image take up the full screen.
So this will allow the Gamecube version to run in true 16:9?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:58 pm

That's the general idea of widescreen patches, yes.
Cisz.

Post by Cisz. » Thu Aug 06, 2015 6:59 pm

tueidj wrote:No, because using the stick is still preferable for some games (especially driving games).
You can't accidentally press ZL on a classic controller. Just tell them to stop button mashing.
Ah, yes I have third-party CC-controllers that look more like GC-controllers with LZ-button like a regular LR-button. But if the analogue inputs are detected from the triggers, would you consider adding launcher flags to turn the LZ-button off?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:26 am

I already told you, using the stick is still preferable to using the triggers for some games (regardless of analog triggers being available or not).
Adding a flag to do something you can already do yourself (not press the button) is stupid. So are controllers that have analog triggers for digital buttons.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:11 am

So uh, I have recent wiimote (refurbished and only 8 months old) that Devolution seems to be unable to see at all. Luckily it's not much of an issue since I have 3 other wiimotes and I only have 3 classic controllers, but I just wanted to check if this is a known issue.

I figure it's related to the issue where newer wiimotes wouldn't connect on a Windows PC since this same problematic wiimote also doesn't like to connect to a Windows PC, but I figured for something like homebrew this was a solved issue seeing how there's even third party hardware (the Dolphin Bar) for PC that supports these newer wiimotes, and Devolution has the benefit of running on 1st party hardware that normally seems to natively support these wiimotes.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:38 am

Sounds like it's fake/third-party. Devolution has no issues with the new wiimotes (the wiiu pro controller works the same way).
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:41 am

Uhhh, it was ordered directly via Nintendo of America's online shop - other than ordering from Nintendo of Japan's online shop, you can't really get much more officially 1st party than that.

It is a refurbished wiimote FYI, and if it makes any difference it has a "pass through" button-pusher for the wiimote's sync button through the battery cover that none of my older wiimotes have (even my wii remote plus from 2010 lacks this).

EDIT: checked what I believe to be the revision code - my 2010 wiimote says F-CD while the new one says Z-C4.

EDIT 2: It's a known thing:
http://www.wiihacks.com/general-homebre ... rking.html
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:59 am

That thread is from 2011. As I told you, the wiiu pro controller communicates the same way as the newer wiimotes so they wouldn't work at all if it was a problem.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:03 am

Well then what do you want me to do?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:09 am

Gee I dunno. If only there were some process to gather information about what the program is doing...
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:12 am

Well for one thing, I didn't think that would tell you anything about a wiimote that isn't even connecting to the console while Devolution is running.

So how do you want me to do it? Launch Devolution with said problematic wiimote? Launch Devolution with a working wiimote and then try to connect the problematic wiimote?
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 3:21 am

Have you actually tried to synch it (using the red buttons on both devices) while Devolution is running?
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:07 am

tueidj wrote:Have you actually tried to synch it (using the red buttons on both devices) while Devolution is running?
Yes I have done so, and it does sync and connect the wiimote to the point that, even if I shut off the system it'll be able to re-connect.

However, I just did I bunch more testing on this issue because I remember doing that in the past, so something must have happened that made it desync, and I had such a desync occur during my testing...

Simply put, if I take even just a single battery out of the Z-C4 wiimote for at least 15 seconds (I timed it) and then put it back in, the next time I launch Devolution, the Z-C4 wiimote will not automatically connect and I have to re-sync it using the red sync buttons. This only occurs in Devolution; the Z-C4 wiimote works perfectly fine on the Wii Menu, Homebrew Channel, USB Loader GX, and WiiXplorer even after said temporary battery removal.

It also does not matter when or where I remove this battery - the Wii can be running Devolution, be on the Wii Menu, be turned off, or even be unplugged and it'll still happen.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:30 am

The wiimote is faulty, it's forgetting the security key used for authenticated/encrypted communication (which is meant to be stored in non-volatile internal memory). Regular homebrew doesn't use authenticated/encrypted mode and official software will automatically re-roll a new key if a wiimote tries to use an incorrect one.
tl;dr - it's a dud, they probably tested it as working for 5 seconds and didn't bother doing any "refurbishing".
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:36 am

tueidj wrote:tl;dr - it's a dud, they probably tested it as working for 5 seconds and didn't bother doing any "refurbishing".
Well it is still in warranty (will be for another 4 months), but presumably that wouldn't get me anywhere considering that it works fine even on official software, correct?

EDIT: Wait, you said the keys are stored in the non-volatile memory. This wouldn't happen to be the same memory used for storing Miis and SSBB profiles on a wiimote, would it? Hmmm....I think I'll go test that right now.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 4:42 am

Do you have SSBB? Try saving a custom nickname and button configuration to that particular wiimote, turn the wii off and take the batteries out of the wiimote for a while, then restart SSBB and see if the nickname/button setup is still there. If not then you have an "official" failure of the wiimote's eeprom.
You could also try storing a mii on the wiimote and seeing if it survives battery removal.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:10 am

I did both - I stored a Mii and a SSBB profile onto the wiimote, turned the Wii off, removed the batteries for a full minute, put everything back together...and the Mii and SSBB profile were still there on said wiimote.

I'm going to leave the batteries out of that wiimote over-night and see if it makes a difference (it's 1am here).

In the meantime, would you happen to know if this re-rolling of a new security would make auto-connecting to a DolphinBar problematic as well for PC use? (I do not own a DolphinBar nor do I know anyone that does; currently I can connect my 3 older wiimotes just fine without it but I was interested in said DolphinBar for being able to connect that 4th and other newer wiimotes)
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Mon Aug 17, 2015 5:28 am

I seriously doubt that the dolphin bar uses authentication/encryption, they didn't even know how to talk to the new wiimotes until the Dolphin devs told them.