Autoboot every time with every SD card (Confirmed!)

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
andre104623

Autoboot every time with every SD card (Confirmed!)

Post by andre104623 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:21 pm

I discovered this by accident and needs testing from other members here. What I found out was if one side or one wire of the Lid switch is always connected to common ground of the gamecube it always autoboots no matter what even if no SD card is in the Wasp/Wiikey SD slot. What I did was I have a megadrive V5 and connected the Lid connections to the real Lid switch of the gamecube. Where I fucked up was I used one of the many drive screws to hold down the wires going to the Megadrive that exposed bare wire on one of the wires going to the lid switch to common ground thus autobooted every time I powered the system. I didn't even notice this till trying to go into the IPL to access my memory card. When disconnecting this short to ground the Wasp acted normally.

Mega has confirmed my findings so wasp/wiikey users rejoice autoboot for everyone!
20150911_172019.jpg
(1.31 MiB) Not downloaded yet
20150911_172011.jpg
(756.16 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Took a pic of my console showing how simple it is to make your console autoboot everytime

EDIT 10/15/15: It seems that autobooting of swiss without a sd card in the slot is kind of rare. Out of 20 times only 4 times did it boot into swiss without SD card in the Wasp slot
Last edited by andre104623 on Thu Oct 15, 2015 5:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
novenary

Re: Autoboot every time even without SD card

Post by novenary » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:36 pm

Sounds interesting. You can get into the IPL by holding A during boot by the way.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:58 am

confirmed on my end....

my setup is V3 with a NC switch on LID pads....
it appears GND must be connected to the GC side of the LID pads
if i connect GND to the WKF/WASP side of the pads and press the switch to open the connection, then it will not autoboot with my SD card type..
...as long as i maintain GND to the GC side of LID pads then my "autoload" SD card will now indeed "autoboot"....

here is the technical explanation of events:

at bootup with no SD card
3v is always present at bootup on LID pins
insert SD card and press pin29 to load the SD card and 0v is present on LID pins

at bootup with autoboot SD card
3v is present on LID pins for a slight delay then will drop to 0v when initial iso is read and loaded into memory

at bootup with autoload SD card
same behavior as autoboot sd card type. so why does this card not autoboot? it must still come down to SD card timing differences.

why does GND to LID allow autoboot of "any" SD card?
there is no timing involved. GC will already receive the signal it needs to satisfy the condition of an iso being present. since this condition is met, the startup animation is now killing time to allow WKF/WASP to finish loading the initial iso into memory. The animation allows just enough time for WKF/WASP to complete its loading so when GC is ready to boot the initial iso from memory it will find the file is present and ready.

great accident!!!
great find...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 2:30 am

megalomaniac wrote:confirmed on my end....

my setup is V3 with a NC switch on LID pads....
it appears GND must be connected to the GC side of the LID pads
if i connect GND to the WKF/WASP side of the pads and press the switch to open the connection, then it will not autoboot with my SD card type..
...as long as i maintain GND to the GC side of LID pads then my "autoload" SD card will now indeed "autoboot"....

here is the technical explanation of events:

at bootup with no SD card
3v is always present at bootup on LID pins
insert SD card and press pin29 to load the SD card and 0v is present on LID pins

at bootup with autoboot SD card
3v is present on LID pins for a slight delay then will drop to 0v when initial iso is read and loaded into memory

at bootup with autoload SD card
same behavior as autoboot sd card type. so why does this card not autoboot? it must still come down to SD card timing differences.

why does GND to LID allow autoboot of "any" SD card?
there is no timing involved. GC will already receive the signal it needs to satisfy the condition of an iso being present. since this condition is met, the startup animation is now killing time to allow WKF/WASP to finish loading the initial iso into memory. The animation allows just enough time for WKF/WASP to complete its loading so when GC is ready to boot the initial iso from memory it will find the file is present and ready.

great accident!!!
great find...
Thank you. Indeed great solution to pesky autoload sd cards maybe a final solution to autoboot instead of hunting down a autoboot sd card which is hit and miss most of the time. Just when i thought the lid connection on megadrive boards were pointless when using swiss.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 1:58 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Sounds interesting. You can get into the IPL by holding A during boot by the way.
Thanks for the tip it indeed works with lid jumped to gound.
novenary

Re: Autoboot every time even without SD card (Confirmed!)

Post by novenary » Sun Sep 13, 2015 2:37 pm

I "autoboot" to swiss by keeping the DVD in my cube (I have a xeno) and I use that feature all the time instead of opening the lid.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:52 pm

So.... you connect the GC lid switch to ground rather than having the Fusion and GC lid switches bridged? In that case, where does the Fusion side of the lid switch go?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:16 pm

Xaranar wrote:So.... you connect the GC lid switch to ground rather than having the Fusion and GC lid switches bridged? In that case, where does the Fusion side of the lid switch go?
If you look at my pics as long as ground is connected to the GC side of the lid pads it always autoboots. What kind of setup are you running? Megadrive or generic adapter or soldered right to FFC it doesnt matter as long as ground is maintained at GC side lid
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:38 pm

andre104623 wrote:
Xaranar wrote:So.... you connect the GC lid switch to ground rather than having the Fusion and GC lid switches bridged? In that case, where does the Fusion side of the lid switch go?
If you look at my pics as long as ground is connected to the GC side of the lid pads it always autoboots. What kind of setup are you running? Megadrive or generic adapter or soldered right to FFC it doesnt matter as long as ground is maintained at GC side lid
If you have a megadrive v5 like I do you can just use a normally closed switch from ratshack and strip the wire mid way and connect to any ground of the gamecube. In my case its the lid pad on the left side of the V5 I don't know of any other megadrive or generic adapter but your just sending ground and there are only 2 wires so try each one to see which one works for you. Your not going to damage anything by connecting ground to the Wasp/Wiikey side of the lid so...
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:53 am

Fair enough. I'm waiting for my Megadrive V5 to arrive, heh, a lot of rhyming there. I will give it a go once it turns up. BTW, as a side note, could I possibly have damaged my wiikey fusion by accidentally wiring 3.3v instead of 1.9v to pin 29?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:15 pm

Xaranar wrote:Fair enough. I'm waiting for my Megadrive V5 to arrive, heh, a lot of rhyming there. I will give it a go once it turns up. BTW, as a side note, could I possibly have damaged my wiikey fusion by accidentally wiring 3.3v instead of 1.9v to pin 29?
pin29 goes to ground never to 3.3 or 1.9 volts
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:35 pm

andre104623 wrote:
Xaranar wrote:Fair enough. I'm waiting for my Megadrive V5 to arrive, heh, a lot of rhyming there. I will give it a go once it turns up. BTW, as a side note, could I possibly have damaged my wiikey fusion by accidentally wiring 3.3v instead of 1.9v to pin 29?
Really? According to the installation guide, pin 29 goes to a momentary switch that is normally closed to ground, but when you push it, it goes to 1.9V to simulate the Wii eject button.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 12:47 pm

Xaranar wrote:
andre104623 wrote:
Really? According to the installation guide, pin 29 goes to a momentary switch that is normally closed to ground, but when you push it, it goes to 1.9V to simulate the Wii eject button.
No only when using a wii DVD drive and in that case you use a switch with C,NO,NC and 1.9 goes to NO which is normally open. C and NC are just ground lines you might have fried it with 3.3 your just going to have to test it to see if its ok
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:10 pm

He hasn't got them yet, I assume they are still in transit? Altho I am sure that he appreciates the info.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:18 pm

ive never stress tested 3.3v on pin29 to determine if any damage can occur..the pin can handle 1.2v just fine as that was its original intended use, to sense a 1.9v signal when the wii eject button was pressed....
early GC "how to" instructions also indicate use of a 1.9v signal to trigger initial iso loading but that was before the discovery of swiss autoboot...

even if pin29 is blown, that would only limit use of a switch to trigger loading official WKF firmware greater than 1.0 autoboot since all other versions do not autoboot. With swiss autoboot flashed onto WASP you wouldnt need pin29 at all. I have always recommended in the past that if for any event you feel like you might need to perform a restore using the recovery iso that it would be good to have pin29 installed because the recovery process removes autoboot and the switch will be required to load the initial iso...

well all that is changed now....and recently...
now included in the nightly builds is a recovery swiss iso. when this is written onto your SD card and booted, it will allow immediate boot into swiss...
from here you can then update the flash with any version swiss autoboot for recovery or general testing....with this new iso there is no more need for pin29...i still do include the pads on all MEGAdrive versions only to ensure a complete availability of pads are there for the user to access for any "unknown" future requirement.

if your pin is blown, then its blown....it "should" not have any effect on the behavior of WASP. If you currently do not have swiss autoboot on that WASP, then a blown pin29 will complicate things slightly but there are still other ways to flash autoboot (swiss recovery iso or wasp hot swap)

once you have everything connected then we can troubleshoot any symptoms but with a WASP that has an unknown condition, it may be tricky to determine any solutions for troubleshooting....lets see what happens when the time comes...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
Aurelio

Post by Aurelio » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:24 am

Xaranar wrote:
andre104623 wrote:
This is needed only if the WASP/Wiikey Fusion has the official Wiikey firmware installed. With Swiss the switch is not needed :)
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Thu Sep 24, 2015 11:29 am

Aurelio wrote: This is needed only if the WASP/Wiikey Fusion has the official Wiikey firmware installed. With Swiss the switch is not needed :)
One would assume, then, that this is needed when initially installing the Wiikey as it doesn't ship with Swiss installed, but you can remove it after Swiss has been flashed.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Sep 25, 2015 1:07 am

NOTE: swiss is always installed when you purchase from BadAss Consoles....
anywhere else will only have original firmware and require pin29 switch before you can update to swiss on flash

Image Image Image
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Fri Sep 25, 2015 10:18 am

megalomaniac wrote:NOTE: swiss is always installed when you purchase from BadAss Consoles....
anywhere else will only have original firmware and require pin29 switch before you can update to swiss on flash
Ah well that's where I went wrong :) I ordered my Wasp from eurasia.nu
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Wed Sep 30, 2015 9:48 pm

So my megadrive arrived today, and I've installed it and hooked up the WiiKey, and it works like a charm. It seems that pin 29 can withstand 3.3V just fine, I was able to wire up the momentary switch for 1.9V/GND to get it to spring to life, and then flash Swiss to it. I am a happy man.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Sep 30, 2015 11:15 pm

Not surprising, the IO pins on the fpga run at 3.3V.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 6:11 am

Streetwalker wrote:Not surprising, the IO pins on the fpga run at 3.3V.
Really? That seems unusually high for data lines.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:26 am

That's what all the IO in the GC runs at. It's not high at all, just TTL level.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 12:31 pm

By the way, the autoboot with no SD card in the Wasp slot doesn't work for me. It needs to have an SD card in there, even if it has nothing on it, in order to boot up.

EDIT: I should clarify, with the lid switch jumpered to ground, and no SD card in the Wasp slot, it just shows a black screen for a few seconds, before showing the GameCube BIOS overlayed with "An error has occured. Turn the power OFF and check the NINTENDO GAMECUBE Instruction Booklet for further instructions."

As I said, I can have any other SD card in there and it will boot to Swiss just fine.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:00 pm

Xaranar wrote:By the way, the autoboot with no SD card in the Wasp slot doesn't work for me. It needs to have an SD card in there, even if it has nothing on it, in order to boot up.

EDIT: I should clarify, with the lid switch jumpered to ground, and no SD card in the Wasp slot, it just shows a black screen for a few seconds, before showing the GameCube BIOS overlayed with "An error has occured. Turn the power OFF and check the NINTENDO GAMECUBE Instruction Booklet for further instructions."

As I said, I can have any other SD card in there and it will boot to Swiss just fine.
Do you know the difference between autoload and autoboot?