WiiKey/Wasp Fusion SD card Slot Schematic and Wiring

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
bentomo

WiiKey/Wasp Fusion SD card Slot Schematic and Wiring

Post by bentomo » Fri Jun 19, 2015 3:07 pm

Hello everybody, today I have a little write up for reverse engineering the SD card slot on a wiikey fusion or a wasp fusion.

Just a couple things to note is that the wiikey and wasp are true clones. I tore down both a wasp and wiikey sd card slot just to be safe but turns out that they are exactly the same as far as the sd card slots are concerned. I am also using this image for referencing pins: (while confirming with several other sources for naming consistency)

Important note pointed out by megalomaniac
megalomaniac wrote:lets clear this up right now so there is no confusion about this project...
The SD card slots for WASP and WKF are fully interchangeable only if the FFC cable of the host modchip is utilized.

translation: The SD card slots can be mixed and matched but the FFC cable cannot.....
for example:

Code: Select all

WASP + WASP FFC = WASP SD or WKF SD
WKF  + WKF FFC  = WKF SD or WASP SD

The purpose of this project is purely for portables. The original SD card slot on the wiikey is a little big and the wasp fusion SD card slot is even bigger so it's not exactly ideal for a portable, so the best option is to replace it with a micro SD card slot.

Here are my findings: (pics are a bit big)

Here are the front of the wasp and wiikey fusion SD card slots, obviously nothing interesting here to see.
Wasp WiiKey

Here is the back, even more boring:
Wasp Back Wiikey Back

Here are the boards without any components:
Bare Wasp Bare Wiikey

And here's the wiikey SD card slot after removing the white solder mask:
Wiikey Sanded

So now after some tracing and double checking, both circuits are exactly the same. Even the FFC connector has the same footprint size. Please note that the schematic that I have here has different names for each resistor due to the software that I used to create it, the values of the resistors, however, are clearly labeled on the schematic.

The board consists of 15 components:
Part_________________Package
SD card slot____________Non-Standard
12-pin FFC connector____TBD
10uF capacitor__________SMD 0805
1uf capacitor___________SMD 0603
6x 22.1Ώ resistor________SMD 0603
3x 68.1kΏ resistor_______SMD 0603
470kΏ resistor__________SMD 0603
15kΏ resistor___________SMD 0603

As it turns out the wiikey/wasp does not use the SD card sense lines at all, they're completely disconnected, so any SD card presence sensing for the wiikey/wasp appears to be completely software based.

At the top of the schematic we see two capacitors, a 10uf and a 1uf capacitor between power and gnd, this is just some simple decouple and noise filtering.

Now if you do a little math you can see that most of the voltage is dropping of the 68.1k resistors and going straight to the data line. Your guess is as good as mine for the reason for this but the most probably reason is signal mirror filtering. When high speed signals are sent over long wires (in our case the FFC cable) there tends to be some mirroring forming after long periods of time, so these resistors are there to filter and dampen the ringing. Any comments you guys have would be appreciated. As for the 15k resistor on the clock line this is mostly likely a damping resistor for any ringing that would occur.

So overall the extra components are for filtering and protection. I did discover that if there is no cable plugged into the wiikey it will error out so at least some of the parts or the FFC cable is necessary for proper operation. It could also cause issues on the data lines with long game times so I'd recommend leaving them on.

The cool part
And finally the reason for all this. Here's the front and back of the board that I'm currently having fabricated at OSHpark:

On the right hand side of the board you can see a second adapter for mounting and soldering a micro SD gecko board.

The footprint for the micro sd card slot uses this part from digikey:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... ND/2187102

I don't have a part for the FFC connector as I just copied the footprint from the SD card boards. (As I mentioned earlier both FFC connectors share the same footprint)

All the other components are using the standard package sizes from the original board so if you have an original SD card adapter you can transfer the parts over. If you don't or lack any desoldering skills the parts can easily be found on digikey.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE *07/11/15*
Here's the updated board, it works great except I missed a disconnected ground trace on the connector. :wtf:

I've updated the pcb files and you can download them here if you're interested here.
http://www.filedropper.com/microsdcard

Or you can just order them straight from the shared PCB way project. It costs $6.60 for 3 with free shipping.
https://oshpark.com/shared_projects/FhOnpaqE

Remember a link to the SD card slot on digikey is hosted above.

Here it is in action, you can see the repaired ground trace with the air wire.

Please leave any questions or comments below.

Cheers! :D
Last edited by bentomo on Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage
Xesxen

Re: WiiKey/Wasp Fusion SD card Slot Schematic and Wiring

Post by Xesxen » Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:25 pm

Oooh, that looks perfect for mounting on the back of the cube. :)
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:03 pm

UPDoooooooooot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE *07/11/15*
Here's the updated board, it works great except I missed a disconnected ground trace on the connector. :wtf:

I've updated the pcb files and you can download them here if you're interested here.
http://www.filedropper.com/microsdcard

Or you can just order them straight from the shared PCB way project. It costs $6.60 for 3 with free shipping.

Remember a link to the SD card slot on digikey is hosted above.

Here it is in action, you can see the repaired ground trace with the air wire.

andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Mon Jul 13, 2015 8:31 pm

Very cool thank you for making your gerbers pubic. I might try this for my project and 7.00usd price is really good as well
ZephaniahNoah

Post by ZephaniahNoah » Tue Jul 14, 2015 3:54 am

Nice portable, bentomo.
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:11 pm

That's actually an old portable, I'm working on another one right now but I need to finish a certain relevant "project" before I continue working on that one.
Voltz

Post by Voltz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 6:24 pm

Is it that one in the GB case? If so then I've been dying waiting for that to finish.
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Wed Jul 15, 2015 5:49 pm

Heh, funny story about that one, :?

it's basically on hold, it has been for almost 3 years now. I'm going to be 3D printing the case for a new one and it's going to have some new features from another circuit board I'm developing.
Voltz

Post by Voltz » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:15 pm

Sounds great! Can't wait to see the thing finished after all these years.
GamecubeNick

Post by GamecubeNick » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:43 pm

So I'm looking to buy the micro sd gecko but where would I get the FFC conector or does the PCB already have one? If not how hard is it to connect to the PCB and are there any instructions?
Xesxen

Post by Xesxen » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:04 pm

I forgot to download the files from filedropper, and it looks like the links have expired. Would you mind to re-upload them (or maybe add them as an attachment)?
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:26 pm

GamecubeNick wrote:So I'm looking to buy the micro sd gecko but where would I get the FFC conector or does the PCB already have one? If not how hard is it to connect to the PCB and are there any instructions?
You understand that this is a bare PCB that you must ether buy new components to solder to the PCB or used random junk to rip apart to make the MicroSD wasp slot or MicroSD gecko. These don't come built they are DIY, I myself ordered 3 of these from Oshpark but haven't got around to building them. I really like this design I might use one of these on a new home console I will be building so I won't take up the B slot. Mad prop's to the OP thank you very much for these
Last edited by andre104623 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:28 pm

Xesxen wrote:I forgot to download the files from filedropper, and it looks like the links have expired. Would you mind to re-upload them (or maybe add them as an attachment)?
Just order them from here it will be the cheapest place to get them made anyway. You can download the design PCB files from there as well
GamecubeNick

Post by GamecubeNick » Mon Sep 28, 2015 7:51 pm

Ya I know they are blank PCB. I was just wondering how hard it is to solder the components needed such as micro Sd card slots and where to get the FFC component to solder to the board
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Sep 29, 2015 12:05 am

GamecubeNick wrote:Ya I know they are blank PCB. I was just wondering how hard it is to solder the components needed such as micro Sd card slots and where to get the FFC component to solder to the board
Do you have any experience? Digikey is my go to place for everything that has to do with PCBs or components.

Components are 0603 size so there not the easiest to solder. Do not use a ratshack soldering iron it will just piss you off. It hard to say if you have to ask then I'm guess you dont have much background in soldering.
GamecubeNick

Post by GamecubeNick » Tue Sep 29, 2015 2:15 am

I've soldered alittle but not a crazy amount, I'm no pro by any means that's for sure. I'm willing to give it a shot anyways though. Do I just search FFC connector from there website? I found the the micro sd card slots
bentomo

Post by bentomo » Thu Oct 01, 2015 4:12 am

Thanks for the complements andre.

And yea I figured those links would expire. But I don't really have my own file host for public sharing. I could probably use git but I haven't gotten around to it.

If you want some boards though you can order a trio from oshpark via the link. Remember you do have to build them yourself.