Autoboot every time with every SD card (Confirmed!)

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Xaranar

Re: Autoboot every time even without SD card (Confirmed!)

Post by Xaranar » Thu Oct 01, 2015 11:06 pm

I do, yes, why?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Fri Oct 02, 2015 12:40 am

@Xaranar
interesting test results...
does your card normally allow autoboot or is it the autoloading type?
can you "break" the lid switch connection so that only GND it going to the mainboard side of the lid switch, also leave the WKF side of the lid switch empty...

do you get the same results?

also you posted about your siring setup here in the first post of this thread
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=3082
you have a normally closed lid switch to GND....
is this setup causing blackscreen or did you apply GND to some other switch?
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Fri Oct 02, 2015 6:06 am

megalomaniac wrote:@Xaranar
can you "break" the lid switch connection so that only GND it going to the mainboard side of the lid switch, also leave the WKF side of the lid switch empty...

I have the Wasp side of the lid switch also jumpered to ground, that might be the issue. I'll try severing that connection and leaving the Wasp lid switch not connected and see what happens.

Also, it doesn't matter what SD card I have in the Wasp slot, any SD card will allow booting to Swiss.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:14 pm

Xaranar wrote:
megalomaniac wrote:@Xaranar

I have the Wasp side of the lid switch also jumpered to ground, that might be the issue. I'll try severing that connection and leaving the Wasp lid switch not connected and see what happens.

Also, it doesn't matter what SD card I have in the Wasp slot, any SD card will allow booting to Swiss.
So I've tried leaving the WKF side of the lid switch disconnected, 3 different Wasps, jumpering the GC and WKF lid switches together and connecting them both to ground via a momentary switch, reflashing Swiss, and still, the WKF will not load the initial iso with no SD card present. Strange. It seems like the Wasp checks to see if there is one inserted on startup before it loads the initial iso, because you can even have an SD card in there with no formatting, it just serves the purpose of letting the Wasp know that there is one present before it loads the initial iso. I wonder if there's a way of bluffing that signal to always be present to the Wasp so that it will boot with no SD card in the slot.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:00 am

what mainboard are you using?
NTSC PAL ?
DOL-CPU-XX ??
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:42 am

Xaranar wrote:I do, yes, why?
I was just asking if you knew i didnt know if it was your first experience with wasp/wiikey.

Can you post some pics of your install
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Sun Oct 04, 2015 1:20 pm

megalomaniac wrote:what mainboard are you using?
NTSC PAL ?
DOL-CPU-XX ??
It's an NTSC DOL-001, motherboard revision C/DOL-CPU-30
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Mon Oct 05, 2015 1:44 pm

Apologies for the blurriness, but you can see that the right hand lid pad is connected to ground (albeit on the other side of the board), the left side is disconnected as that connects to the WKF, P29 connects to ground and I'm grabbing 3.3V from a nearby cap.
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Tue Oct 06, 2015 9:29 am

Alrighty, so I tried this out for the first time today, because I have an 32gb micro SD card that wouldn't autoboot, but would autoload.

I installed a switch because it happened to be there already, and just in case connecting to pin 29 ever becomes necessary:

It worked, but the first 2-3 times, I managed to get this message from swiss:

Code: Select all

SD card detected but failed to initialize
Please try again
After a few boots it went away, so I guess it's no big deal. Figured I'd post it anyways though, just in case I'm doing something wrong.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:04 am

ShockSlayer wrote:Alrighty, so I tried this out for the first time today, because I have an 32gb micro SD card that wouldn't autoboot, but would autoload.

I installed a switch because it happened to be there already, and just in case connecting to pin 29 ever becomes necessary:

It worked, but the first 2-3 times, I managed to get this message from swiss:

Please try again
After a few boots it went away, so I guess it's no big deal. Figured I'd post it anyways though, just in case I'm doing something wrong.
Never got any errors from this method. Been using it for a while now almost all summer. I didnt post this method till I was sure I had something. I only have 5 sdcards to test and it autoboots all of them
Last edited by andre104623 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:06 am

Xaranar wrote:Image

Apologies for the blurriness, but you can see that the right hand lid pad is connected to ground (albeit on the other side of the board), the left side is disconnected as that connects to the WKF, P29 connects to ground and I'm grabbing 3.3V from a nearby cap.
Nice install. But I would also connect the other side of the lid as well maybe use some thicker gauge wire for 3.3v and ground
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Oct 07, 2015 12:34 am

ShockSlayer wrote:

Please try again
SS, this is a new feature / workaround in swiss to allow reinitialization of the card read function to prevent the frozen "WKF INIT" message that was previously displayed....

Image Image Image
ShockSlayer

Post by ShockSlayer » Wed Oct 07, 2015 2:23 am

Ah okay, cool. So I guess that means if the SD card is slow to init and you're using an older version of Swiss, then this trick wouldn't work? Worth noting I guess.
andre104623

Re: Autoboot every time with every SD card (Confirmed!)

Post by andre104623 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 2:17 pm

This topic seems to have died. So I want to ask everyone if this method has worked for them? I haven't had any problems with this trick it has worked flawlessly for months so has anyone had any problems with getting this to work?
tesla246

Post by tesla246 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:36 pm

Tested this method just now and it worked flawlessly; both SD cards which autoloaded before now autoboot straight into swiss :). It is nice indeed to finally hear that GC startup sound again. Nice find Andre!
Dream mod: HI-speed port device utilizing 4:4:4 RGB 32 bit colour, 720p video and variable refresh rate. :shock:
Favourite mod: GC Loader flashed with latest swiss.
Eagerly awaiting a normal, form-factor wise, wireless controller with rumble. :)
Doomkeks

Post by Doomkeks » Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:30 pm

The autoboot trick works with my cube.
DOL 001 PAL
WASP as a drive replacement

I was wondering how multidisc swapping would work with a grounded pin23 connection.
I'm guessing I'd have to install the NC switch so that for an open lid pin23 on the motherboard gets disconnected from GND and pin23 on the WASP?
Like shown here:
Multidisc swapping autoboot trick.png
(8.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Or would I have to move the switch above the GND connection to keep disc (SD Card) swapping working?
Thank you!
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 am

It’s been almost 4 years and my setup with wasp mega drive v5 and gc-video dvi and autoboot sd card still works. Nice to see people are still here
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:51 am

andre104623 wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:10 am
It’s been almost 4 years and my setup with wasp mega drive v5 and gc-video dvi and autoboot sd card still works. Nice to see people are still here
I actually redid my install the other day, due to it being years later and my experience having grown and I can do a better job of it. I believe this is largely defunct now, though, due to the rise of Wii softmodding and use of Nintendont, not to mention the cessation of the sale of drive replacement chips, with the only ones available now are from Mega and sold at a premium. Which is understandable, scarcity pushes price up. Wiis are dirt cheap, cheaper than GameCubes, are easier to modify into portables, use less power and run cooler, can be modified entirely in software, and run GameCube games exactly as an actual GameCube does. The only thing a GameCube can do that a Wii can't is use the Game Boy Player. That's one reason I keep my cube around, the other is I just think there is something magical about how a cube with a Wasp and Swiss functions. It makes me feel fuzzy that something designed for the Wii originally was cleverly hacked into working with a GameCube, and every time I turn my GameCube on, and can see the blue glow through the fan grille of the Wasp's LED letting you know it has initialised, I smile a little.
rey_1178

Post by rey_1178 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:48 pm

andre104623 wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2015 3:21 pm
I discovered this by accident and needs testing from other members here. What I found out was if one side or one wire of the Lid switch is always connected to common ground of the gamecube it always autoboots no matter what even if no SD card is in the Wasp/Wiikey SD slot. What I did was I have a megadrive V5 and connected the Lid connections to the real Lid switch of the gamecube. Where I fucked up was I used one of the many drive screws to hold down the wires going to the Megadrive that exposed bare wire on one of the wires going to the lid switch to common ground thus autobooted every time I powered the system. I didn't even notice this till trying to go into the IPL to access my memory card. When disconnecting this short to ground the Wasp acted normally.

Mega has confirmed my findings so wasp/wiikey users rejoice autoboot for everyone!

20150911_172019.jpg
20150911_172011.jpg
Took a pic of my console showing how simple it is to make your console autoboot everytime

EDIT 10/15/15: It seems that autobooting of swiss without a sd card in the slot is kind of rare. Out of 20 times only 4 times did it boot into swiss without SD card in the Wasp slot
Just came across this and am damn happy I did. Had replaced my SD card and no matter what the new one would not autoboot. Now it does :)
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Sun Jun 05, 2022 8:10 pm

I don’t want to bump a dead topic but I was playing code Veronica and got to the part where it wants you to switch to disc 2 and it did this automatically! I saw the screen to switch the disc for about a second maybe 2 then boom off playing again did nothing just sit there trying to figure out what just happened

Played resident evil 4 today got to the switch disc screen boom playing again this was my best fuck up ever
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Jun 09, 2022 12:13 pm

Swiss has supported this for a while now (assuming you updated)