Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN (2 Wii's) HELP!!

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
OverTonesOfLevi

Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN (2 Wii's) HELP!!

Post by OverTonesOfLevi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:26 am

So I just got a second Wii and installed Homebrew so I could use an app called Devolution to be able to play Gamecube games with the broadband adapter capabilities using the Wii's wi-fi.
But when I tried LAN mode on Mario Kart through the two wii's (which both are using Devo through Homebrew) it won't find each other! I tried emulating Mario Kart: DD through Dolphin and my Wii and it works just fine, both of the Wii's can recognize the Dolphin emulator! But the Wii's can't recognize each other, it only recognizes Dolphin & Wii.

What do I do? This is all very confusing to me. I hope someone can help explain this in laymans terms.
tueidj

Re: Mario Kart: Double Dash LAN (2 Wii's) HELP!!

Post by tueidj » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:47 am

Post a log.
OverTonesOfLevi

Post by OverTonesOfLevi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:50 am

tueidj wrote:Post a log.
How do I do that? In LAN mode for Mario Kart, it just counts down from 200 until it finds a gamecube, but it never finds each other and it just gets a 'didn't find' message and exits out.
OverTonesOfLevi

Post by OverTonesOfLevi » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:28 pm

Here is my setup. I got two Wii's hooked up next to each other and they both have an SD card and a USB that has the ISO file for Mario Kart Double Dash to run the game, not from a disc (but I do own the game legally) and I launch the game through Devolution for both of them the same way so I can launch up LAN mode. Both of them are connected to my internet Wi-Fi and I tested both of their connections a few times with success. But whenever I look for a LAN game on both of the consoles at the same time, it won't find each other (image shows the error message)

Do I need a LAN adapter for my Wii so it can recognize its LAN? Do I need a LAN adapter for both of the Wii's or will just one suffice? Is there another way without having to pay money just to get a LAN connection?
Please help, I know someone out there must know the solution. Please :cry:

tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:31 am

If you can figure out how to get a game running with Devolution, surely you can figure out how to post a log.
OverTonesOfLevi

Post by OverTonesOfLevi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:04 am

tueidj wrote:If you can figure out how to get a game running with Devolution, surely you can figure out how to post a log.
I clearly don't know what you mean by this so can't you explain how to do this?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:26 am

I feel like this was just a ploy to show off your TV :P
OverTonesOfLevi

Post by OverTonesOfLevi » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:04 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I feel like this was just a ploy to show off your TV :P
heh, it was just the easiest tv to hook up near me. But in total honesty it's frustrating since this setup should work.
Yohanov

Post by Yohanov » Sat Sep 05, 2015 2:53 pm

Several people on the devolution thread reported the same problem, I think it has to do with your wi-fi having multicasting issues or w/e.

I'm not sure but the emulated bba feature also work with ethernet adapters, not only wi-fi right ? So you could try to go that route with a crossover cable or a little router. Ethernet is more stable than wi-fi anyways for LAN.
OverTonesOfLevi

Post by OverTonesOfLevi » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:12 am

Yohanov wrote:Several people on the devolution thread reported the same problem, I think it has to do with your wi-fi having multicasting issues or w/e.

I'm not sure but the emulated bba feature also work with ethernet adapters, not only wi-fi right ? So you could try to go that route with a crossover cable or a little router. Ethernet is more stable than wi-fi anyways for LAN.
so then I have no choice but to use a lan ethernet cable for the wii? is there any other solution that I can make the wi fi work for the two Wii's?
Duhasst0

Post by Duhasst0 » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:35 am

He needs a log from devolution, there should be a text file called log where ever devolution rests.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Sep 18, 2015 11:53 pm

That's not how logging works.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Sun Oct 18, 2015 8:49 pm

OverTonesOfLevi wrote:
tueidj wrote:Post a log.
How do I do that?
Without a log is impossible to anyone have the faintest idea of what is going on,
try to follow this tutorial may help you (it did help me) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORQlZEVZJ3k
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:03 pm

I can't streess how glad I am that a developer like tueidj made possible to use BBA all my gratitude to you

I tried to link this game in different ways
from one pc to other using dolphin (did work)
from one pc [dolphin] to other wii [devolution] (did somehow work, see each other connected went to the menus but as soon as the game starts the connection stops)
from one wii [devolution] to another wii [devolution] (did not work) they didn't see each other
when i tried pc [dolphin] + wii [devolution] + wii [devolution] pc would see the 2 wii, one wii would link and the other would freeze in the counting (pressing B would exit, so no crashing the game)

I tried all day, i learn to make logs, but i assume that wifi multicast (something i learn today) probably is too much too handle when you have a shitty router that your ISP give you. I would now order another wii network adapter and give it a go.

i have hopes of using the router to play in 2 different rooms, I understand that being the wii 2 wired would help, But I have the feeling that only the crossover cable would work.

here are my logs (the 2 wii had a reserved ip beforehand)

http://pastebin.com/VvcBTp7P

http://pastebin.com/MVi0jzHg
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Sat Oct 31, 2015 11:22 am

My new cheapass wii network adapter arrived time to start new testing

2 wii modded with a sd card with devolution and the iso
using 2 network adapters to a switch
I know the a switch i have work (because i use them for connect my pcs)
also the cables are tested and i know they are working
The adapters are working since i tested the connection

some findings
if the switch have the uplink (connected to the router) they would ignore each other like they did via WIFI
if the switch have only the 2 cables to the adapter i would get the screen of LINK ERROR (that's something new)

Now some things to consider for further testing
* my switch may work with my pcs but maybe goes nuts with the wiis
- Need to buy crossover cable ALSO try with a HUB rather than switch

*devolution "somehow" see the im a cheapass that im using the same disc for the 2 wii
-need to buy another MK DD and rip and install in my SD

*wiis have different ios |CIOs and so on (since one was softmoded like 2009 and the other like 1 week ago)
need to try to softmode again my old wii

Since my ignorance is strong in this one, I may need to try the cable 1st
would be the less problematic and cost effective of all
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Sat Oct 31, 2015 8:22 pm

You will need to assign static IPs if there's no router/DHCP server.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:57 am

Crossover cable arrived today
testing at the moment and I can't connect I got the LAN error msg screen
Im using version 266 of Devolution

when you say assign static IP's there is a configuration file that i need to edit for assigning IPs?
many thanks
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:46 am

Use the internet setup from the system menu's options. You'll have to do the setup with them connected to the router at first (to get the connection test to pass) then connect them directly with the crossover cable.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:28 pm

OK, just to confirm what I did.. (also i made a video of testing good thing is youtube let you speed up videos lol)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEhjwsFqNdI

Wii - A & B connected to the router internet etc [wired connection + test works]
go to Devolution fire up the game go to lan counting nothing happens(just what we expected)
disconnected the Ethernet cable and plug the crossover cable.
go to lan LINK ERROR screen.
disconnected the crossover cable and plug the Ethernet cable counting start and nothing happens.

The crossover cable is brand new there is a small chance that is not working, i mean how you can test that cable ?
The point is without internet i never got to the counting.. so strange
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:27 pm

So... you just ignored what I said about configuring them to use static IPs?
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:38 am

loool, thanks for your patience sorry is just me that i could not manage to see where to set up the IP manually.

Ok in case someone is an idiot like me here is a good guide how to setup the IP manually from the wii system menu
http://portforward.com/networking/staticip-wii.htm

Ok I manually setup the IP to
192.168.0.100 & 192.168.0.101 to each wii, subnet 255.255.255.0 router 192.168.0.1 (my router IP) Primary dns 192.168.0.1
saved tested connection working etc etc.

disconnected the ethernet cable and connected the crossover and start the LAN mode and they would start the counting and ignore each other. SO there is a progress before they would just give me the LINK ERROR.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:19 pm

Ok since I was an idiot testing with the switch before I wanted to give a second chance

I installed the same CIOS to both of them
cIOS 249 base 56 v10 beta53-alt (56) (249)
cIOS 250 base 57 v10 beta52 (57) (250)

plugged the two of them to the switch and with uplink I did a log of each one
http://pastebin.com/ViU6jqJg Wii A (the one recent softmoded)
http://pastebin.com/FQbqyaQP Wii B (my old one)

after that i tried without uplink and I had the same situation, they would go on to the counter and ignore each other.

Went to my local second hand game shop but no MKDD i would give a try on the weekend somewhere else
Im running out of things to try...
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Fri Nov 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Don't install that CIOS crap, it would make no difference since it's not used and you're just risking messing something else up.
chorgox

Post by chorgox » Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:37 am

Too late I did, but nothing bad happened.
I didn't buy the second copy of MKDD yet for further testing but again I feel like the guy blindfolded with the stick trying to hit the pinata. What I did was to manage to get a BBA for my old cube to a price that is not ridiculous, seller from japan would take some time to send it....
Im sure GC BBA + Wii Devolution would work. (that's how you tested right? )

Also what I did was to move the wii's to my room next to my pc's, and download the last version of dolphin and test how they see each other. I found out that using the bridge + VPN would link each other and i tried every possible combination.
All the secret was to start the lan in a PC and when the counting starts just after that you can select lan mode on wii, as if PC need to be "hosting" and the wii need to link to it.

PC A + Wii A = Success
PC A + Wii B = Success
PC B + Wii A = Success
PC B + Wii B = Success

PC A + PC B = Success

PC A + PC B + Wii A = Success
PC A + PC B + Wii B = Success

PC A + Wii A + Wii B = FAIL
PC B + Wii A + Wii B = FAIL

Every time there is 2 wii's in the same link the counting would freeze and would be not possible to start the link.
ALso one of the last test was to have 2 machines linked (each other in different games)

PC A + Wii A = Success and PC B + Wii B = Success

So i was able to have in the same network 2 different games with each 8 players and the connection would not drop would just work on both sessions.

I would test further when my BBA arrives and share my findings.. Im very happy to manage to link wii + crappy pc and with a gamecube adapter i can organize a 8 players MKDD game session, so all my gratitude to everyone involved in this project.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:45 pm

chorgox wrote:(that's how you tested right? )
I tested with 2 wiis, 2 wiis + 1 wiiu, 2 wiis + wiiu + 2 PCs... all worked, regardless of wifi or wired connections.