Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
enigmaxtreme

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by enigmaxtreme » Mon Nov 02, 2015 5:43 am

If I want to capture Gameplay footage I would Zoom the image so it fits the screen, but when I do that with GBA games the sides get cut off. Any way for a "Fill Screen" option
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:50 am

Set aspect ratio to 3:2 and zoom to 3x, adjust vertical offset as needed.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:36 pm

Hi Extrems,

I can only see the video options such as 16:9 in Swiss for the standard version. Not the ULL or LL version. I have all versions on my SD card.

Is 16:9 an option on the ULL version? Also is 16:9 running at 426×240 or 320x240 anamorphic?
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Nov 06, 2015 4:57 pm

paulness15 wrote:I can only see the video options such as 16:9 in Swiss for the standard version. Not the ULL or LL version.
They don't have any options other than progressive scan mode and screen position from SRAM.
paulness15 wrote:Also is 16:9 running at 426×240 or 320x240 anamorphic?
720x486 anamorphic (720x243 in double-strike mode), as shown on the on-screen display.
paulness15

Post by paulness15 » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:05 pm

Extrems wrote:
paulness15 wrote:I can only see the video options such as 16:9 in Swiss for the standard version. Not the ULL or LL version.
They don't have any options other than progressive scan mode and screen position from SRAM.

That iss OK I am able to work around this with the zooming modes on my TV. ULL mode works great!
paulness15 wrote:Also is 16:9 running at 426×240 or 320x240 anamorphic?
720x486 anamorphic (720x243 in double-strike mode), as shown on the on-screen display.
Perfect thanks!
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:33 am

Smashbro29 wrote:If we're on adapters this exists: http://www.raphnet-tech.com/products/sn ... /index.php

My issue is really that he won't reply to my email about button configurations. Because I'm not crazy about A=A and B=B.
Ive got this adapter too and Im not in love with the button config. Would give left leg for remapped layout.
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Sat Nov 07, 2015 6:53 pm

@donhonk,

What's the issue with it?

Also, does anyone know if a DOL file of the Gameboy Player Startup Disc is available? I do like a lot of it's features vs GBI like different boarders.
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:45 am

XC-3730C wrote:@donhonk,

Also, does anyone know if a DOL file of the Gameboy Player Startup Disc is available? I do like a lot of it's features vs GBI like different boarders.
Dunno if Im weird but I way prefer having Gameboys "B" on the Snes controllers "Y" and Gameboys "A" on the Snes controllers "B". Feels way comfier IMO. Thats how something like, Super Mario World works. With run on Y, and jump on A. But if I play the Gameboy version of Super Mario World on Gameboy Player / GBI its mapped different. (A = A, B = B)
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:57 am

Yea I thought that mapping on that adapter was confusing. I am actually looking into a controller adapter that either converts Classic Controller Pro to GC, or one that converts PSX to GC.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:03 am

donhonk wrote:

Dunno if Im weird but I way prefer having Gameboys "B" on the Snes controllers "Y" and Gameboys "A" on the Snes controllers "B". Feels way comfier IMO. Thats how something like, Super Mario World works. With run on Y, and jump on A. But if I play the Gameboy version of Super Mario World on Gameboy Player / GBI its mapped different. (A = A, B = B)
As I recall from his website, there's a button combination you can hold that will switch between 3 different button configs including the default one. I'm pretty sure at least one of them maps B to Y and A to B.
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:51 am

bobrocks95 wrote:
donhonk wrote:

As I recall from his website, there's a button combination you can hold that will switch between 3 different button configs including the default one. I'm pretty sure at least one of them maps B to Y and A to B.
I guess youre right! I could have sworn the NES mode wasnt what I wanted, but looks like it is! Im dumb lol
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:14 am

Donhonk,

What is the button mappings for NES mode? I didn't know in that mode that other buttons other than A,B, Select, and Start worked.
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:21 am

XC-3730C wrote:Donhonk,

What is the button mappings for NES mode? I didn't know in that mode that other buttons other than A,B, Select, and Start worked.
Oh yep, youre right. Thats why I wrote off NES mode. Lame.
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:46 am

ive been wanting to build one of these for a while raphnet adapters for a while...
i have not looked at the source in a few years so i dont know what changes have been made but if i get around to it ill check the button mapping...
just need to redefine and recompile...then it would be up to you to flash it...
if you cant flash your board then nothing can help you...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:21 pm

megalomaniac wrote:ive been wanting to build one of these for a while raphnet adapters for a while...
i have not looked at the source in a few years so i dont know what changes have been made but if i get around to it ill check the button mapping...
just need to redefine and recompile...then it would be up to you to flash it...
if you cant flash your board then nothing can help you...
Its not something Im experienced with really, but Im sure I could figure it out. Would need to rip open the heatshrink hes got on it, which shouldnt be too hard. Any hardware suggestions for flashing?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:27 pm

If you have a parallel port you can build a cheap flasher...look on the wiki pages for Xeno clone...
The raphnet adapter uses the same atmega8...or at least he use to use that...
Flashing would then be the same process as flashing Xeno...

I'll move this discussion to a new thread when I have access to a PC so we can build on this project
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Sun Nov 08, 2015 7:30 pm

I would love a DIY raphnet adapter...I have a PC with a parallel port. Any links to tutorials?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:47 pm

he posts the schematics on his page....look for em and build it...
parallel port flasher schematic posted in wiki pages for xeno clone

Image Image Image
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:54 am

That would be excellent, thanks for the info. Sorry for clogging up this thread with this haha
enigmaxtreme

Post by enigmaxtreme » Sat Nov 14, 2015 9:33 am

Extrems wrote:Set aspect ratio to 3:2 and zoom to 3x, adjust vertical offset as needed.
How do I do that exactly?
Spawn

Post by Spawn » Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:08 pm

Is the download broken? I get a zip file with no files in it.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:13 pm

• Added (GZipped) TPL overlay.
  • Added all 20 borders from the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Nov 24, 2015 11:40 pm

Extrems wrote:
  • Added (GZipped) TPL overlay.
  • Added all 20 borders from the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
Damn that is really good news!
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:24 pm

I just discovered this amazing piece of software. When I set 4:3 and 3x zoom it 100% vertically fills the screen without horizontal stretching. I'm running this on a pal gamecube into a ntsc crt hacked to input rgb and the sharpness / image quality is amazing. All three versions work fine on my setup. This is the most amazing piece of software! Finally a gameboy software that fills my screen properly with perfect sharpness.

What I hope to see in the future:

I hope to be able to change the palette of original gameboy games. The attempt at colorizing them looks terrible, I just want a normal greyscale.

I hope to be able to eject the cart and insert a new cart while it's running the way you can with the gameboy player. Currently if I want to change games I have to reset the whole system and go through all of swiss to start a new game.

Other than that, this is perfect!
Last edited by Drakon on Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:33 pm

Drakon wrote:I hope to be able to change the palette of original gameboy games. The attempt at colorizing them looks terrible, I just want a normal greyscale.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_ ... _Boy_games
Drakon wrote:I hope to be able to eject the cart and insert a new cart while it's running the way you can with the gameboy player.
Press reset.