Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
sindrik

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by sindrik » Sat Jan 09, 2016 2:35 am

Saxorus wrote:Is source code available for this? I want to add a feature where one can use their GBA as a controller. This is one thing I wish the Gameboy Player would've supported.
Official Game Boy Player Startup disc supports GBA for a controller already. For GBI, as it was said, it is a planned feature 8-)

We have a new build dated 20160103! Is there a changelog, extrems? Thanks for your work.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jan 09, 2016 3:15 am

They're behind-the-scenes changes. Return to Qoob IPL was added and the DOL sections were aligned to satisfy the GC-Linux apploader.
stainomo

Post by stainomo » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:33 pm

Any chance someone can make ISO's of the awesome GBI? Or could point me to a how to? I tried the how to I found on these forums but no luck :(
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:44 pm

stainomo wrote:Any chance someone can make ISO's of the awesome GBI? Or could point me to a how to? I tried the how to I found on these forums but no luck :(
With all the updates coming out as often as they do, it makes more sense to burn Swiss to a disc (assuming you have a mod chip installed), and get a Memory Card SD adapter, so you can put new versions on the SD card instead of burning them to discs. Just a suggestion...
paulness15

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by paulness15 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:12 pm

XC-3730C wrote:
stainomo wrote:Any chance someone can make ISO's of the awesome GBI? Or could point me to a how to? I tried the how to I found on these forums but no luck :(
With all the updates coming out as often as they do, it makes more sense to burn Swiss to a disc (assuming you have a mod chip installed), and get a Memory Card SD adapter, so you can put new versions on the SD card instead of burning them to discs. Just a suggestion...
Use this tool and job done!
Attachments
GC Bootable Disc GUI.zip
(410.68 KiB) Downloaded 476 times
--
NTSC Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss)
PAL Gamecube with GBA Player (Xeno-GC with Swiss and SD Loader)
PSP (CFW)
PAL Xbox 360
NTSC PS4
stainomo

Post by stainomo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:43 am

Thanks!

Made myself a disk booting Swiss + all the GBI versions. Now to start another playthrough of Pokémon :)
jayare

Post by jayare » Mon Jan 18, 2016 9:40 pm

I just realized that the LL version has no options. Why is this?
I wish to use the borders of the standard version, and the option it has that stretches the screen a bit horizontally (5:4)

But then when I use the standard version with 240p, it will have this blurry movement similar to the Pokémon picture on the first post.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:16 pm

You either get fancy framebuffer features and some lag (probably still less than the regular GBP boot disc), or you get a minimally-sized framebuffer, less lag, and no fancy features.

The blurry movement in the regular version is the framerate conversion, i.e. converting the GBA's output to the display standard 59.96Hz
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:49 am

The low latency version is planned to receive additional features, such as overlay and 3D LUT.
However, scaling options will remain limited.
EDlTOR

Post by EDlTOR » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:09 pm

Is there a way to edit the Frame.tpl file? I'd like to add some custom borders.
polog64

Post by polog64 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 5:54 am

I used the HomeBros method to get access to this software and it is very impressive! However, I've got two issues that I feel need fixing. First, there is a slight screen distortion that occasionally pops up. The screen distortion appears and it takes about a few minutes for it to go away. But around 30 minutes or so it reappears. It's this constant cycle that makes it tedious to play. I am using the ULL version of the GBI. Even though you recommend the Standard version for LCD displays, I use the ULL version (in 480p mode. I have the component cables not a scaler. My TV won't pick up 240p signals.) I have a 50 inch LED TV, and the lag is very playable. However, with the GameBoy Player Software, the lag is very intolerable. This is why I decided to use GBI, and now my GBA games are very playable. But, I wasn't pleased with the performance of the standard version of GBI because the results of lag (at least to me) were very similar to the GameBoy Player software. After Switching to the ULL version, I was more happy with the performance, it looks and plays better than the standard version. The lag issue was practically gone when using the ULL version. The only issue with the ULL version that I have now in terms of display performance is the screen distortion. I do not believe that it's my display that causes it, but if there is no way of fixing it, then I will just deal with it.

Another gripe that I have with the GBI is the trigger function on the gamecube controller. I am a gamer who is okay with using the standard GC controller to play GBA games, I don't mind it at all. But the thing that the GameBoy Player software does right is that I don't have to press on the triggers all the way down in order to get the LR input to work. With the gameboy player, the triggers function on mid-press and pressing all the way down. But with the GBI, I am forced to press the triggers all the way down in order to get the L and R functions to work. This causes strain on my fingers and this wasn't a problem for me with the GameBoy player software. Of course I can use the X and Y buttons, but I am already used to using the L and R triggers. The purpose is to get me to use your software, not the GameBoy Player software. If you can fix these issues I will be heavily satisfied. All in all (with my complaints aside) the GBI software is a major improvement over the GameBoy Player software. I am heavily impressed with the performance and experience. Fantastic Job, but I still expect these issues to be fixed. This'll make the GBI more perfect (at least the ULL version)

(Just to make myself clear the screen distortion issue was only on the ULL version of GBI. And the trigger issue is throughout all GBI versions.) These issues are presented on the following software version of the GBI: 20160103
XC-3730C

Post by XC-3730C » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:56 am

@polog64,

I am out of town, so I can't test my Gamecube/GB Player setup, which is attached to my XC-2950C RGB (15khz)/ VGA (31khz) CRT (via HDMI mod, and active HDMI to VGA converter) monitor.

I am wondering what other people with CRT setups have experienced as far as your issues with lag and tearing. If they don't experience your same issues, it could be your TV, or that it isn't a CRT. I am no expert, but that's just my educated guess...
Greenalink

Post by Greenalink » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:36 pm

gbi.dol - Targeted at LCD TVs and PC live capture.
gbi-ll.dol - Targeted at CRT TVs and SDA speedrunning.
gbi-ull.dol - Targeted at enthusiasts.
*.dcp - DOL Config Parameters
*.gci - dol2gci boot.dol
Hello, I have been following this thread for nearly 6 months and I am impressed with the quality with this software, especially when the system I am using is HDMI modded.
I got to show it off a quite a bit in one of the gaming rooms at AGDQ this year to show how crisp the visuals are. There is one glaring flaw and it applies to all of the versions. Gameboy Interface can do untested directional inputs by using Left Stick, C-Stick and/or D-pad which is great for casual play but really bad for speed running, Game Boy Player did not have this feature and I am curious if there are plans for future releases to disable all of the possible combinations of untested inputs. The GBA version of Super Mario Advance 4 for example allows supersonic dash speeds.

Although not related to untested inputs, here is a short video of me playing Chessmaster B&W running gbi-ull.dol with HDMI output, for those curious about quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JqxL4vbTQ
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Fri Jan 22, 2016 6:51 pm

polog64 wrote:I used the HomeBros method to get access to this software and it is very impressive! However, I've got two issues that I feel need fixing. First, there is a slight screen distortion that occasionally pops up. The screen distortion appears and it takes about a few minutes for it to go away. But around 30 minutes or so it reappears. It's this constant cycle that makes it tedious to play. I am using the ULL version of the GBI. Even though you recommend the Standard version for LCD displays, I use the ULL version (in 480p mode. I have the component cables not a scaler. My TV won't pick up 240p signals.) I have a 50 inch LED TV, and the lag is very playable. However, with the GameBoy Player Software, the lag is very intolerable. This is why I decided to use GBI, and now my GBA games are very playable. But, I wasn't pleased with the performance of the standard version of GBI because the results of lag (at least to me) were very similar to the GameBoy Player software. After Switching to the ULL version, I was more happy with the performance, it looks and plays better than the standard version. The lag issue was practically gone when using the ULL version. The only issue with the ULL version that I have now in terms of display performance is the screen distortion. I do not believe that it's my display that causes it, but if there is no way of fixing it, then I will just deal with it.

Another gripe that I have with the GBI is the trigger function on the gamecube controller. I am a gamer who is okay with using the standard GC controller to play GBA games, I don't mind it at all. But the thing that the GameBoy Player software does right is that I don't have to press on the triggers all the way down in order to get the LR input to work. With the gameboy player, the triggers function on mid-press and pressing all the way down. But with the GBI, I am forced to press the triggers all the way down in order to get the L and R functions to work. This causes strain on my fingers and this wasn't a problem for me with the GameBoy player software. Of course I can use the X and Y buttons, but I am already used to using the L and R triggers. The purpose is to get me to use your software, not the GameBoy Player software. If you can fix these issues I will be heavily satisfied. All in all (with my complaints aside) the GBI software is a major improvement over the GameBoy Player software. I am heavily impressed with the performance and experience. Fantastic Job, but I still expect these issues to be fixed. This'll make the GBI more perfect (at least the ULL version)

(Just to make myself clear the screen distortion issue was only on the ULL version of GBI. And the trigger issue is throughout all GBI versions.) These issues are presented on the following software version of the GBI: 20160103
Test on another LCD to see if it happens, and even then you can't really rule out that it's GBI's fault- the refresh rate is off-spec and consumer LCDs aren't likely to play nicely with it. Try the LL version as well for a potential in-between on compatibility and lag.
Greenalink wrote:
gbi.dol - Targeted at LCD TVs and PC live capture.
gbi-ll.dol - Targeted at CRT TVs and SDA speedrunning.
gbi-ull.dol - Targeted at enthusiasts.
*.dcp - DOL Config Parameters
*.gci - dol2gci boot.dol
Hello, I have been following this thread for nearly 6 months and I am impressed with the quality with this software, especially when the system I am using is HDMI modded.
I got to show it off a quite a bit in one of the gaming rooms at AGDQ this year to show how crisp the visuals are. There is one glaring flaw and it applies to all of the versions. Gameboy Interface can do untested directional inputs by using Left Stick, C-Stick and/or D-pad which is great for casual play but really bad for speed running, Game Boy Player did not have this feature and I am curious if there are plans for future releases to disable all of the possible combinations of untested inputs. The GBA version of Super Mario Advance 4 for example allows supersonic dash speeds.

Although not related to untested inputs, here is a short video of me playing Chessmaster B&W running gbi-ull.dol with HDMI output, for those curious about quality.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z_JqxL4vbTQ
Untested as in you can do stuff like pressing left and right at the same time? So games that aren't programmed to anticipate that do weird things?
Greenalink

Post by Greenalink » Fri Jan 22, 2016 7:01 pm

bobrocks95 wrote: Untested as in you can do stuff like pressing left and right at the same time? So games that aren't programmed to anticipate that do weird things?
Yes, that is correct.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jan 23, 2016 8:14 am

Greenalink wrote:Gameboy Interface can do untested directional inputs by using Left Stick, C-Stick and/or D-pad which is great for casual play but really bad for speed running, Game Boy Player did not have this feature and I am curious if there are plans for future releases to disable all of the possible combinations of untested inputs.
Wait, it didn't? This is definitely getting patched then.
MechPala

Post by MechPala » Thu Feb 11, 2016 7:39 am

Firstly, thank you so much for your hard work! This program is awesome!
I wanted to ask you if you could add 10:9 aspect ratio support?
Original Game Boy/Color uses resolution of 160 x 144 px. and that converts to 10:9 aspect ratio, but GBI always stretches the image of Game Boy/Color games no matter what settings I use.
Keep up the awesome work!

PS: eta of the Game Boy Advance as controller feature?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Feb 11, 2016 8:05 am

You can always add it to gbi.dcp, but I'm pretty sure you don't have a 10:9 display.
MechPala wrote:eta of the Game Boy Advance as controller feature?
Hopefully before ESA or SGDQ.
MechPala

Post by MechPala » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:21 am

Extrems wrote:You can always add it to gbi.dcp, but I'm pretty sure you don't have a 10:9 display.
Can't wait! Thanks for the quick reply :)
deckard

Post by deckard » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:26 am

Extrems wrote:You can always add it to gbi.dcp, but I'm pretty sure you don't have a 10:9 display.
Hell yeah! That's an awesome feature, can't wait to try it out.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:40 am

Just because this reminded me, will the GBA controller feature work on either of the low-lag versions as well? I know speedrunners would enjoy the best of both worlds, but considering that (I think) it has to send some sort of software to the GBA, it may not be possible to get inputs in time without a framebuffer. What do I know though?
polog64

Post by polog64 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:19 am

Hello. I'm back after a few more tests. Also before I begin. I must apologize to Extrems, sorry for sounding a little too demanding. I get very picky, and I develop the tendency to be a harsh critic. I was expecting a reply from you, and since I didn't receive a reply from you I looked at my post over and over to see what the problem was. So if I was bothersome or rude I apologize. If you are very busy, I understand.

Moving on...
After testing the ULL version of the gbi on multiple displays (sadly not a CRT, so can anyone test this on a CRT). I still get the same bothersome issue of the distortion lines on screen. To make myself clear, the lines do not affect the gameplay. I just get annoyed looking at them. Also, I will still refrain using the standard version of the GBI, I feel that it performs similar to the GameBoy Player. Also the lines appear and go away. The distortion lines start at the top of the screen and it works its way down to the bottom of the display and goes away for like 30min. The lines come back, gow away, and come back (it's a cycle of appearing and disappearing). To make sure it wasn't the games that caused the problem, I played up to 35 different GBA games and they all had the same result. And even though I complained about this before, may you PLEASE make the LR triggers work on mid-press with the gamecube controller. I don't want to buy an adapter or a hori digital controller. Any-who, getting back on topic... when running some more tests, I then used a small composite video only lcd display. This test was to see if the 480p mode included in the gbi ull software is causing this phenomenon (On my big TV, I use the 480p mode... I don't like gaming on my very small display. I only have it for testing purposes). So, using the 240p mode in composite video and testing the gbi ull, I still happen to get the same issue. The lines are thinner this time, but still noticeable if you look closely enough. It seems to me that the screen distortion lines appear in both 240p and 480p modes. Like I said earlier these lines do not affect gameplay, but I do get annoyed by noticing them. Some things to note, I do not own a scaler, if you have a scaler can you please test if the issue is present. If nobody else is getting the same display issue as me, then it may be the Homebros method that I used. Sadly, I do not have any other way to boot the software other than Homebros.

GBI LL

I was told by a user to test this software, for the most part it is fine. Not as good as ULL, but still preferable than the standard version. The lag is definitely playable, and there seems to be a slight glitch on this as well. The video glitch is much more subtle on this than the ULL version, there seems to be a slight shaking on the screen and then it goes away. I can't really discuss more about the LL. That is because I only have a small composite LCD dsplay that only works with this software. I tried it on my other displays, and they do not pick up 240p signals. Also, this small lcd is able to properly handle 240p signals, and has little to no lag. But I do not like playing on it because it is too small (yes I repeated myself). The shaking can be bothersome too though.

Alright that is my current info, if I have anymore details to share I will let you guys know. If no one is getting the same issues as me pleas let me know. But if you are please share. Also, if my displays are at fault, I will gladly accept that. Maybe it is not the software or the tv. Maybe it is the Homebros method. If I am misinformed on anything, please let me know. If you need video proof to help describe what I am talking about also let me know.

(The GBI version used in these examinations: 20160103)
polog64

Post by polog64 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Okay. I did some more testing. It is my display's fault. Homebros does not affect anything. I fiddled around with the standard version and got no video glitches. The standard version works okay, I just like the responsiveness on the ull version. I take my comment of , "it performs similar to the GameBoy Player" back. The standard version does seem to be a little less laggy than the gameboy player. So, I do not want to buy a xrgb mini Framemeister. I don't want to carry around a CRT. So could this be solution since both 240p and 480p signals of the ull version perform the same: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00MFLY79 ... X56M45VB35
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:10 pm

LCD's don't like the off-spec refresh rate the low-lag versions output. That's just an unfortunate truth- they're pretty much only meant to be used on a CRT.

What do you think converting to VGA and upscaling will get you?
polog64

Post by polog64 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 7:41 pm

Thank you for responding. I hope to accomplish two things making this purchase. People do not seem to experience the distortion issue when using the xrgb mini Framemeister. So I'm assuming that the upsacle process may correct the problem. Also, the vga theoretically preforms the best in terms of input lag on my tv (I did some research). So if the vga upscaler fails to fix the issue with the ULL version, I will be able to use the standard version with minimal input lag. If all fails I can just return it and save up for an xrgb mini. I'm doing these experiments for a community of gamers who don't want to waste a lot of money on a Framemeister. The whole purpose of my experiments is to help find cheaper alternatives. But... there is no better scaler than the xrgb. This vga converter/upscaler does not pick up signals lower than 480i. So Imma keep looking to see if there are 240p options. But the vga scaler does handle 480p signals, which is what I have.