Wiimc

Find all your Nintendo Wii related topics here
rocker-chick83

Wiimc

Post by rocker-chick83 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 7:51 am

So I'm a little late learning all this, but I decided to see if I could play DVDs on my Wii. I know HBC is old news, but I just learned about it and installed it today. I downloaded wiimc and it won't play dvds. At first I thought it was just not capable, but it's an older model and besides,I checked to see if other video worked, such as you tube, and it doesn't. Wiimc website seems to be down. Is that the reason for my problem, or is it something else?
SuperrSonic

Re: Wiimc

Post by SuperrSonic » Tue Feb 16, 2016 10:05 am

The site is only used for checking updates at startup and YouTube, but the latter hasn't worked for a long time.
WiiMC automatically tells you what you need when you select the DVD section, it will say something like:
-AHB_prot is not disabled
-DVD playback is not supported

If it's the first one make sure you have IOS58 installed, you can do this by selecting the wiimc logo in the top right to display credits. Also make sure hbc is using that IOS, press home button to display it.
If it's the second one you have an unsupported model and there's nothing you can do.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:39 am

The unsupported model check isn't always correct either, it's a best guess. If your wii was made in 2009 or later (even if it's white) there's a good chance it's not compatible.
jlo138

Post by jlo138 » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:52 pm

Also, if you have an incompatible DVD playing Wii, alternatively you can actually backup your DVD movies to an external HDD or use the SD card and WiiMC will play the files. Downside is the file sizes but I've done this and it works. Another method is to connect a USB DVD drive and play your movies from it using WiiMC. I've done both of these methods and it works regardless if your Wii can play DVD or not. Hope this helps.
.timil retcarahc 552 a si erehT .ekam uoy stsop ot dedda eb nac taht txet fo kcolb a si sihT