Wired wavebird?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
torozan

Wired wavebird?

Post by torozan » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:49 am

I want to know if it is possible to mod my wavebird with a regular DOL-003 cable. I've tried this already but I used a third party GC cable and I wasn't sure where to solder each cable and I'm pretty sure I fried the PCB. I am now getting a second wavebird and have a first party GC cable ready, but before I continue, I'd like to actually know if it's possible and in which order to solder the wires (ground, data, etc.). And before anyone asks, I just like the shape and the grey color of the wavebird but dislike that it's wired. That's why I want to mod it. Thanks in advance
megalomaniac

Re: Wired wavebird?

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Mar 05, 2016 11:13 am

since you only like the color and shape of the wavebird and do not need the wireless capabilities, then why not transplant the PCB from a wired controller rather than trying to solder wires
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
Doomkeks

Post by Doomkeks » Fri Mar 11, 2016 10:57 am

torozan wrote:I just like the shape and the grey color of the wavebird but dislike that it's wired.
The good thing is, the Wavebird is not wired.

Why not spraypainting a regular wired controller in grey color? The shape of the Wavebird is identical with a regular controller, except the tranciever stage in the middle which you do not need for gaming. Hacking a cable into the Wavebird is like removing the wings of a plane to make it more road compatible.
I have been trying getting hands on one Wavebird but they are so expensive here :| ended up buying controller extension cords instead
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:01 am

The extra volume on the wavebird is only there to make room for the batteries.
The wavebird can't simply be wired, the easiest way to to it is a PCB swap as mega said.