Dumping GC discs via Swiss, BBA and patch cable???

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
RetroProf

Dumping GC discs via Swiss, BBA and patch cable???

Post by RetroProf » Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:44 pm

Hello all,

Is it possible to rip original GC games, on a GC system, using Datel's SD Launcher software, in conjunction with Swiss, a BBA adapter, and a patch cable? According to various places Swiss should be able to dump discs via BBA, but I have no idea how.

I do not have Phantasy Star Online.

So far I've managed to boot Swiss using Datel's SD Launching software. Swiss is on a 2gb SD card, plugged into Datel's SD adapter. I can't boot much else using it, only Swiss.

I'm using Swiss v0.4, rev 342. The second info page says the BBA is connected, and my IP is 255.255.255.255

I'm using the patch cable I use when FTPing on my Xbox (a much easier system!).

When I boot my GC my PC does recognise some kind of network, but nothing else works.

I tried using Filezilla to tap into the GC, like I would my Xbox, but nothing happens. I tried both the 255 IP and also 192.168.1.20?

How can I dump my original discs?

There was another topic in this forum, where someone suggested changing the Swiss.ini file, which I did:

Code: Select all

# Swiss Configuration File!
# Anything written in here will be lost!

#!!Swiss Settings Start!!
Default Device=No
SD/IDE Speed=32MHz
Swiss Video Mode=Auto
Enable Debug=No
Force No DVD Drive Mode=No
Hide Unknown file types=No
Stop DVD Motor on startup=No
Enable WiiRD debug=No
Enable File Management=No
SMBUserName=admin
SMBPassword=admin
SMBShareName=admin
SMBHostIP=192.168.1.20
#!!Swiss Settings End!!
But... It doesn't help at all.

I'm not even sure what I'm supposed to click on inside Swiss. Am I supposed to select "Samba Via BBA"? Because that just tells me to check my configuration.

Am I supposed to use an FTP client to access my GC?

I've used FTP for my Xbox, so sort of know what I'm doing, but I need step by step instructions for actually getting the data off my disk and through the BBA.

Many thanks all.
RetroProf

Re: Dumping GC discs via Swiss, BBA and patch cable???

Post by RetroProf » Sun Mar 20, 2016 3:56 pm

Small update.

I followed the instructions here:
http://digiex.net/guides-reviews/consol ... s-7-a.html

I used Swiss to boot NGCDEV02a.dol, which loaded fine, and prompted me to press A, then put a game disc in. I did all this and it gave me an http IP address.

Then I went to my computer, connected via the patch cable, and put the IP address first in Windows IE, and then Firefox, and in both instances it didn't work. It said unable to find web page. I disabled all my firewalls, and it didn't help. And yet Swiss is telling me the BBA is connected just fine.

I can't understand it. Should I switch to a normal ethernet cable and run it through my router?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Dumping GC discs via Swiss, BBA and patch cable???

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:42 pm

Run it through your router for Swiss, or if you use GCOM, use DHCP or modify the DOL to set the IP address statically (for a patch setup - which is a lot more work).

In Swiss if you navigate to http://IPShownOnTheInfoScreen/ then you'll see a page where you can grab the disc image from.

Personally I'd just use CleanRip for GameCube and rip to SD card.