GBA Link Cable Dumper

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
FIX94

GBA Link Cable Dumper

Post by FIX94 » Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:27 pm

So I finished up work on a simple gba rom dumper through the gc gba link cable, while it does take quite a while depending on the game you dump (up to 48 minutes for 32mb) it is a usable method. Save and bios dumping is supported as well.
You can use it on both wii and gamecube, download it on github and if you care about the source its on github as well.
If you have any issues such as a wrong rom or save size detection please let me know.
Enjoy this super-slow way of dumping your old gba games through a gamecube or wii :)
Last edited by FIX94 on Mon Apr 11, 2016 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AC_Orange

Re: GBA Link Cable Dumper

Post by AC_Orange » Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:01 pm

Thanks, this is definitely useful
Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:53 pm

Despite taking relatively long, this is a great programm and very useful.
It opens up one question I'd like to ask, though. Would it also be possible to backup and restore savedata from/to GBA cartridges in a similar fashion?
Might be something you'd be interested to look into.
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:45 pm

Ikewise wrote: It opens up one question I'd like to ask, though. Would it also be possible to backup and restore savedata from/to GBA cartridges in a similar fashion?
already done, I made v1.1 and v1.2 already adding in save support ;)
Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:58 am

Oh! Well nevermind then, that's perfect. Will check it out later. GG

Edit: So I quickly tested it and it works fine for most games. For some reason, a few games launch anyways once you insert the cartridge (Fire Emblem TSS for example), but this can easily be prevented by booting up the GBA with the game inserted and holding Start + Select.
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 2:19 pm

Ikewise wrote:For some reason, a few games launch anyways once you insert the cartridge (Fire Emblem TSS for example)
Wait, do you mean that it restarts the GBA even though you are in the dumper already? Never heard of something like that happening.
Also I just added in GBA BIOS dumping in v1.4 because why not ;)
Ikewise

Post by Ikewise » Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:57 pm

FIX94 wrote:Wait, do you mean that it restarts the GBA even though you are in the dumper already? Never heard of something like that happening.
Yes, I assume that is what's happening. You pop in the cartridgde, Game Boy Logo appears and the game starts.
PokemonAcer

Post by PokemonAcer » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:22 pm

Thanks Fix94! :D
FerozElMejor

Post by FerozElMejor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:44 pm

It's possible to transfer/restore GB and GBC saves (or at least in the future).

I don't understand too much how does this work, but I can use it only with a Wii or I need a GameCube?

There's any GC homebrew to backup saves with GameBoyPlayer. I have the GC-GBA cable too.
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:21 pm

FerozElMejor wrote:It's possible to transfer/restore GB and GBC saves (or at least in the future).
no, they are too different.
FerozElMejor wrote: I don't understand too much how does this work, but I can use it only with a Wii or I need a GameCube?
it runs on both wii and gamecube, if you download it you'll see it contains releases for both.
FerozElMejor wrote: There's any GC homebrew to backup saves with GameBoyPlayer. I have the GC-GBA cable too.
the gameboy player is just regular gba hardware so you can just connect the link cable to that directly and it'll work just like with a real gba.
FerozElMejor

Post by FerozElMejor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:51 pm

Then there's no hope to mess with saves from GB/GBC without any mod?
FIX94

Post by FIX94 » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:22 pm

FerozElMejor wrote:Then there's no hope to mess with saves from GB/GBC without any mod?
you would have to probably modify its hardware yea, nothing we can do from software side alone.
FerozElMejor

Post by FerozElMejor » Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:25 pm

Thank you for the answers.
suloku

Post by suloku » Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:11 pm

Wow, this is awesome work, thank you very much!
nutinurmacaroni

Post by nutinurmacaroni » Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:29 pm

Super unfortunate this won't work with regular gb/gbc carts but this is still a really cool development.. thanks!
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:02 pm

Very awesome job. Thanks :mrgreen:
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
GamesXtreme

Post by GamesXtreme » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Thanks FIX94 for this awesome piece of software. Its allways handy to have more than one option to backup GBA games. :D

Sad note: Some games like Contra Advance didn't get recognized. Is there some way to get them to work? :?:

For the GB/GBC games: I tested a few of them and each time I put a cartridge in the slot, the GBA reset. I THINK if you put them in the GBA it resets it to boot into 8-Bit-Z80-Mode cause the GBA part use an ARM processor. :idea:
suloku

Post by suloku » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:06 pm

GamesXtreme wrote:For the GB/GBC games: I tested a few of them and each time I put a cartridge in the slot, the GBA reset. I THINK if you put them in the GBA it resets it to boot into 8-Bit-Z80-Mode cause the GBA part use an ARM processor. :idea:
GBC games use different voltage. Also, there's a phisical switch that gets triggered when inserting a GB(C) cartridge that essentially converts the gba into a gbc.

I'm curious about the technical reason why gba homebrew can't access data in a gbc cartridge though, or might this be only due to voltage difference?
Mechageo

Post by Mechageo » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:51 pm

suloku wrote:
GamesXtreme wrote:might this be only due to voltage difference?
I read somewhere that GB games are tolerant of the lower 3V voltage the GBA uses.
I wonder if it would be as simple as removing the switch.
niuus

Post by niuus » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:27 am

Daum... this is nice. Thanks FIX94.
N7Kopper

Post by N7Kopper » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:13 pm

This is a nice tool.
I did notice that, one time, the screen flickered like crazy. (Using a CRT at PAL60) And I needed to restart the app (and hard power off my Wii) to get it working.

But once I started it up again, it worked like a dream, dumping FireRed, it's save, and the system BIOS. Unfortunately, I can't find the bootleg cart I actually wanted to dump, but I'll get back to you when I find it and dump it.

One really cool feature would be the ability to connect multiple GBAs at once, for dumping multiple games, saves, and what have you. Perhaps you could use the Wiimote, or even each individual GBA itself, to control things.

EDIT: I found two projects with source code - one relating to dumping GBA video, the other to changing the RTC of games that have one. They might be relevant to someone's interests.

https://github.com/endrift/duplo
http://furlocks-forest.net/wiki/?page=P ... ery_Glitch
Brendan McCoy

Post by Brendan McCoy » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:00 am

Sorry to necro, but I'm having troubles.

I got a perfect bios dump, but I can't seem to get bootable game dumps. Are there any steps I should be taking to ensure an accurate dump? I'm using all first-party official hardware (With the exception of my homebrew loading, of course).

Edit:

Don't know what I did, but I got 5 perfect dumps in a row after I made this page. I guess just make sure the contacts are solid, and once it's dumping, don't touch it. Maybe my cable/connectors are sensitive.
R.J.etro

Post by R.J.etro » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:14 pm

I know this is an older post and I'm probably a total noob but, I'm having trouble getting the homebrew channel to read the app so I can use it. I renamed the file marked as the Wii version to "boot.dol" and put the unextracted folder from GitHub in the "apps" folder of my SD card. When I pop my card in my Wii it doesn't recognise it. Other apps usually have more than one file so I'm pretty sure that's the case. All my other apps show in the menu.
N7Kopper

Post by N7Kopper » Thu Dec 28, 2017 1:40 pm

R.J.etro wrote:I know this is an older post and I'm probably a total noob but, I'm having trouble getting the homebrew channel to read the app so I can use it. I renamed the file marked as the Wii version to "boot.dol" and put the unextracted folder from GitHub in the "apps" folder of my SD card. When I pop my card in my Wii it doesn't recognise it. Other apps usually have more than one file so I'm pretty sure that's the case. All my other apps show in the menu.
All you need to do is make an empty folder (Call it GBA Link Cable Dumper or something) in your apps folder and put the boot.dol file in that folder.

No need to muss around with GitHub's stuff unless you plan on modifying the code. And I don't think you do, honestly.
welshwuff

Post by welshwuff » Tue Feb 27, 2018 1:10 am

Have you considered adapting this to work with the "advanced game port"? Unlike the GBP, the AVP is software based emulation, the hardware it comes with seems to dump the rom on some way to the GameCube before booting, it also read and writes the save to the cart. Being able to dump to sd would be great and much faster than using the link cable. Also, GB and GBC could work if software emulation licencing is it's only excuse for incompatibility.

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... _Game_Port