Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:57 am

• Added Xboo Communicator.
  • Added BIOS/ROM dumper.
You can make use of Chishm's SendSave to manage save data.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:48 am

Another cool use for a parallel port... Why did they get rid of those on PCs again?
XC-3730C

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by XC-3730C » Tue Apr 05, 2016 2:59 am

bobrocks95 wrote:Another cool use for a parallel port... Why did they get rid of those on PCs again?
Probably because nobody uses them, besides guys like me that use them for old school game copiers
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:15 am

You don't need a parallel port, or PC. Game Boy Interface is the server.
bobrocks95

Re: RE: Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:40 am

XC-3730C wrote:
bobrocks95 wrote:Another cool use for a parallel port... Why did they get rid of those on PCs again?
Probably because nobody uses them, besides guys like me that use them for old school game copiers
I keep coming across idiosyncratic uses for them in homebrew and all that that I want to use them for...
Extrems wrote:You don't need a parallel port, or PC. Game Boy Interface is the server.
Oh, okay. I'll have to mess with it some then. Does that imply that a Gamecube BBA is needed to use it with SendSave? Or can GBI interface with an SD card?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Apr 05, 2016 3:44 am

Only SD cards are supported at this time.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 5:23 am

Considering the high cost of the BBA, I'd say that's a good thing. Thanks for the clarification Extrems.
FishamanP

Post by FishamanP » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:18 pm

Extrems the GOD
I'll have to learn more about the Xboo functionality. Is it explained when launching the full version DOL?

EDIT: Theoretically, GBI could now be used on a Wii for GBA save dumping/restoring, among other Xboo stuff, correct?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Apr 06, 2016 11:37 pm

It uses the Game Boy Player's internal serial link, it's not made for joybus.
FishamanP

Post by FishamanP » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:32 am

Extrems wrote:It uses the Game Boy Player's internal serial link, it's not made for joybus.
OH, so we just use a standard GBA link cable, with one end in the GBP. Gotcha :)
Though, I thought I remembered you saying the GBP is basically a frameserver. I'm surprised the GC has access that deep.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:36 am

No, you don't use any cable. The link port must be free, as it has precedence over the internal serial link. This is enforced in hardware.

The internal serial link is normally used for rumble.
FishamanP

Post by FishamanP » Thu Apr 07, 2016 12:44 am

Extrems wrote:No, you don't use any cable. The link port must be free, as it has precedence over the internal serial link. This is enforced in hardware.

The internal serial link is normally used for rumble.
SD Card to GBP acting as the GBA. I see now.
I don't suppose the SD Card can be used as a DLDI storage device over serial, can it? Some GBA homebrew is too big to fit into GBA RAM.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Apr 07, 2016 1:19 am

The capabilities are the same as with a link cable.

GBI uploads a program to the GBP using the multiboot protocol, the GBA program then interacts with the GC's filesystem using the Xboo protocol.
deshayzilla

Post by deshayzilla » Thu Apr 07, 2016 9:12 pm

How do I switch the borders? I've got the default purple one but I don't understand how to switch to the other ones.
zantzue

Post by zantzue » Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00 am

Hi, everyone. This is my very first post here and first of all I would like to say: thank you very much for making the GBI! I tried the three versions of the gbi and they seem to work perfectly. The thing is that I would like to use the original GBP texture pack but I don't know what to do with the .tpl archive. Sorry, if this is a dumb question and, by the way, sorry about my English :oops: .

Edit: I got it working. Now it shows the purple GC console border. How can I switch the border?
GCNlover

Post by GCNlover » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:44 pm

Cross posting from Home Bros thread, but maybe someone here has better insight.

Goal: Play my Game Boy Advance carts at 240p, using the Game Boy Player for a JP Gamecube, connected to a PVM via S-video.

Method: Home Bros with JP Melee Disc, used to launch Game Boy Interface (possibly by way of Swiss).

I have the Gamecube Memory Card Manager app running on a Homebrewed Wii right now, so the final step is dragging and dropping the correct save file and apps onto the Gamecube 251 Memory Card.

This is the step where it falls apart for me - I loaded the proper save file (J-0-00) onto the memory card using the Wii, but when I put that memory card into the Gamecube and try to go to Name Entry in Vs. Mode to activate Home Bros, nothing happens.

Even if something did happen there, I'd still need some help massaging the ideal setup of files on my memory card anyway, so I don't know if it matters that I'm screwing up this step.

Can somebody help me create a file to put on an SD card to use with GCMM to transfer to the 251 Memory Card? It needs to contain:

1) Home Bros save file for a JP Melee disc with 0-00 as the number on the shiny side, 2) Game Boy Interface (this is where I need the most help, as I'd like either LL or ULL but with the arguments set to make it run at full screen. Is there a standard zoom setting or will I need to fiddle with the settings and if so I clearly don't know what I'm doing, is it a simple value to adjust?), 3) Optional - Swiss. I'm not sure if Swiss is required, but this might be the only way to force Game Boy Interface to run at 240p.

I don't know how to package that into something to get onto the memory card, but if I understand everything correctly then that should be able to result in: go to name entry in Smash, Swiss boots automatically after into Game Boy Interface running at 240p (LL or ULL mode, "full screen")

Thanks for any guidance, I have a billion devices out right now wired up everywhere and am hoping to complete this once and for all. An old dusty Wii was dragged out for GCMM, Wii U gamepad is being used as its sensor bar, Gamecube and Wii keep hot swapping inputs for testing....any help really appreciated!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:20 am

• Added GBA multiboot support to wiiload server.
  • Replaced GBA-as-controller with GBA-as-GC controller.
saegiru

Post by saegiru » Sat Apr 30, 2016 4:31 am

This is truly an amazing piece of work, but if you could find a way to add control remapping, it would be even greater. I use a raphnet SNES to GC adapter, and it works - but it does 1:1 mapping of the A/B/X/Y/R/L buttons... So B/A feels very awkward to use in all the games. If you could possibly add a feature that would allow remapping of the buttons so that you could remap the Y on the controller to B and B on the controller to A, etc... it would be absolutely amazing. The Y/B, B/A conversion is MUCH more natural for games (at least to me), and it was an option in the Super Gameboy. Best scenario would be full button configuration, but if you could even add a toggle for the swap like the Super Gameboy, that would be fine too. :)

Anyway, you know you rock - Thank you and keep up the good work man. :)
FishamanP

Post by FishamanP » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:37 pm

Extrems wrote:
  • Replaced GBA-as-controller with GBA-as-GC controller.
What's the difference?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:45 pm

The difference is it acts as a proper GameCube Controller, without analog sticks and X/Y.
AndehX

Post by AndehX » Wed May 04, 2016 8:55 pm

Is there any options or anything that you can bring up while its running? Im running the ULL version, but nothing I press brings up any kind of options for anything?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed May 04, 2016 9:08 pm

@Extrems
Does the ULL version not support 240p over component anymore? It always boots in 480p for me, regardless of .cli settings or Swiss settings using the .dcp (do the low lag versions support any command line arguments at all?).

From what I've seen other people had it working in the past.
AndehX wrote:Is there any options or anything that you can bring up while its running? Im running the ULL version, but nothing I press brings up any kind of options for anything?
Switch to the regular version if you want screen stretching, positioning, and other options.

I'm not sure if the LL and ULL versions support command line arguments, given my question above...
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu May 05, 2016 7:06 am

Boot up a game and choose not to display in progressive scan mode.
bobrocks95 wrote:I'm not sure if the LL and ULL versions support command line arguments, given my question above...
They do not at this time.
AndehX

Post by AndehX » Thu May 05, 2016 12:52 pm

Thats fine, as long as its 240p, looks crisp and has no input lag, thats good enough for me.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Thu May 05, 2016 4:31 pm

Extrems wrote:Boot up a game and choose not to display in progressive scan mode.
Ahh, that's it. Makes sense given there's some kind of console-wide flag set when you've held B and done it once.