Complicated Use Case Xeno/WASP/Megadrivev3?

All your console related questions and answers :)
PlaYsiA

Complicated Use Case Xeno/WASP/Megadrivev3?

Post by PlaYsiA » Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:57 pm

hey guys, hoping you can help me out here.

One of my mariokart discs just died, so I decided it's time to make my game collection on my favourite console more resilient. After all I play my GC far more than my DC and I got a GDEmu for the same reason!

This is what I really want out of my cubes, some of this I've already figured out, some of it I'm a bit confused on. I have 2 GCs, one on a CRT TV and one on a CRT Monitor, both with BBAs.
1) BBA support for Mariokart DD LAN (I notice in the latest Swiss build that BBA support was fixed. I assume this means that Mariokart DD LAN will work fine now!?)
2) [CRT Monitor] Boot swiss into 480p to select game: I have a Sony 21" CRT Monitor that I spent hours calibrating (no 480i or 240p can be displayed...). I have a Garo (really soon anyway, is for other consoles too..) to do this http://www.beharbros.com/#!garo/cnwf. When it's released I will get GCvideo...
3) Work with all games (I'm not sure on the compatibility rate for swiss, I found a wiki list but it seemed pretty poor, I don't think it was taking into account booting from a drive replacement?)
4) [CRT Monitor] Force games into 480p for use on my CRT Monitor (Swiss)
5) Load my games from 32 GB SD cards (I am 99% sure this one is fine)
6) [Low priority] Audio streaming (this is why I need the XenoGC for from what I've read, but really not sure on this because I will be loading from the replacement drive which kills audio streaming?)

What I think I need: XenoGC, Drive replacement (WASP) and Megadrive v3 combo. XenoGC I have a source for, Drive Replacement has been coming soon on badassconsoles for... a while :( Hopefully he gets them soon. I've been reading threads and the wiki for hours and I'm not having that "oh I just need to do this" moment.

I think I might need Megadrive v4 instead for audio streaming? I think reverse surface mounting is outside of my soldering skill. If this is the case is there any point to the XenoGC + Megadrive v3/WASP?

Thanks in advance!
RazorX2014

Re: Complicated Use Case Xeno/WASP/Megadrivev3?

Post by RazorX2014 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 10:49 pm

a megadrive v3 replaces the disc drive so there will be no drive to stick the xenogc too :D
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:56 am

dont worry to much about the compatibility list since its not really up to date and compatibility results vary from setup to setup

xeno will not be required since swiss can patch the drive. Any previous posts I wrote about needing a xeno are out of date since there was a bug discovered with swiss that made it not compatible with a particular DVD drive i was using. This has been addressed and all drives should now be supported.

V3 will not allow a GC DVD drive to connect since it inserts into the mainboard dvd port...
a wii DVD drive can be directly connected to v3 or thru a WASP.
the only other alternatives are:
1. remove v3 and plug in a GC DVD drive when you want to play DVD games
or
2. go thru the painful process of wiring up a GC DVD drive to an FFC cable to connect to WASP, then patch audio streaming signal back to the mainboard.
or
3. get a V4...V4 requires no soldering. It is a completely assembled unit. Just remove old DVD drive and replace with new DVD drive...
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
PlaYsiA

Post by PlaYsiA » Sun Jun 26, 2016 1:13 pm

megalomaniac wrote:dont worry to much about the compatibility list since its not really up to date and compatibility results vary from setup to setup

xeno will not be required since swiss can patch the drive. Any previous posts I wrote about needing a xeno are out of date since there was a bug discovered with swiss that made it not compatible with a particular DVD drive i was using. This has been addressed and all drives should now be supported.

V3 will not allow a GC DVD drive to connect since it inserts into the mainboard dvd port...
a wii DVD drive can be directly connected to v3 or thru a WASP.
the only other alternatives are:
1. remove v3 and plug in a GC DVD drive when you want to play DVD games
or
2. go thru the painful process of wiring up a GC DVD drive to an FFC cable to connect to WASP, then patch audio streaming signal back to the mainboard.
or
3. get a V4...V4 requires no soldering. It is a completely assembled unit. Just remove old DVD drive and replace with new DVD drive...
Thanks for that, I'd read a few posts about xeno being required.

I thought v4 required some insane reverse soldering. I assumed the $100 price was because of the flexible design, but it's making more sense that it's the complete drive unit on second look. :oops:

I am leaning towards just playing my games with audio streaming on my wii, it's not like there are particularly many of them.

I should be able to run mariokart LANs with the megav3wasp combo right? Has anyone tried it with the latest fix?
PlaYsiA

Post by PlaYsiA » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:02 am

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to make swiss boot into 480p?
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:24 pm

It does it by default if you have a component cable or gcvideo plugged in.