Program Shuriken Video V3 Please Help!

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
zeldaxpro

Program Shuriken Video V3 Please Help!

Post by zeldaxpro » Mon Jul 18, 2016 4:23 pm

Hello everyone, I was wondering anyone would be able to help me or point me in the right direction on how to program the Shuriken Video V3? I have finally built one, I have a programmer, but was just wondering how to program it.
Last edited by zeldaxpro on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeldaxpro
novenary

Re: Program Shuriken Video V3 Please Help!

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:20 pm

You will need to supply power to the board as the programmer does not do that. I'm not sure what voltages are required for it, but the easiest way would be to hook the board up to your gamecube and turn it on.
For actual programming, you can either use Xilinx Impact, with the MCS and CFI files, or any (X)SVF player program that supports the Xilinx cable. The latter solution doesn't require downloading the whole ISE package, but it might be slightly more technical as most of these programs require use of the command line.
Controller data is pin 73 of the FPGA, but as the PCB designer's website is down, I can't tell you where that is on the board. Your best bet is to trace it visually or with a multimeter.
Good luck.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Tue Jul 19, 2016 1:51 am

Here is the diagram
tmp_20863-video - Schematic_v3.pdf-1339222061.7z
Remove the .7z and add .zip don't know why my phone won't upload .zip
(81.73 KiB) Downloaded 800 times
Unseen

Post by Unseen » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:28 am

zeldaxpro wrote:I am assuming I attach TDO, TMS, and TDI (and GND) to the shuriken board and the programmer?
You also need to connect TCK and VCC to the programmer - and as someone else has mentioned, you need to supply power to the board. 3.3V and GND on the pins where they would be on the Gamecube are enough; alternatively you could install the unprogrammed board in the Gamecube, power up the system and program it in there.
What program/software is used to program the board? ( PS: I am on Windows 8.1 but also have access to Windows 7 and 10).
I use Xilinx' Impact for this - unfortunately it's not updated anymore and I've heard that it may not work on Windows 8 or later. You don't need to download the full ISE for this, the Lab tools here (switch to the ISE tab and scroll down, "only" 1 GB download) are enough.
Asking for support by PM is anti-social. Ask in an open forum instead, so other people can benefit from the answers!
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:14 am

Unseen wrote:
zeldaxpro wrote:I am assuming I attach TDO, TMS, and TDI (and GND) to the shuriken board and the programmer?
You also need to connect TCK and VCC to the programmer - and as someone else has mentioned, you need to supply power to the board. 3.3V and GND on the pins where they would be on the Gamecube are enough; alternatively you could install the unprogrammed board in the Gamecube, power up the system and program it in there.
What program/software is used to program the board? ( PS: I am on Windows 8.1 but also have access to Windows 7 and 10).
I use Xilinx' Impact for this - unfortunately it's not updated anymore and I've heard that it may not work on Windows 8 or later. You don't need to download the full ISE for this, the Lab tools here (switch to the ISE tab and scroll down, "only" 1 GB download) are enough.
Thanks everyone for the help so far I greatly appreciate it! I seem to be understanding the whole process a little more.

That is where I am so far in comprehending everything. I have a laptop with Windows XP 32bit and will be downloading the Lab Tools as stated.
Last edited by zeldaxpro on Wed Jul 27, 2016 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zeldaxpro
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Jul 20, 2016 4:42 am

before you solder the board you might want to take some time to find a way to mount it so its not permanently sticking out...
you will be asking for problems in the long run by connecting this board as designed

before you flash try to establish communication with the chip....open up impact which is included in labtools and perform a boundary scan
this will at least tell you if youre off to a good start

then you will need to use the "sureitcant" specific bit and mcs files for flashing....
i dont know which revision you have, might be a V3
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
mautheus

Post by mautheus » Wed Jul 20, 2016 5:36 pm

Someone could make a V3 adapter and tell me how much it costs? I have no knowledge to produce an equal. So I wonder if someone can make me one and I pay
blub123

Post by blub123 » Sun Jul 24, 2016 9:46 am

since the shuriken site is down I'm looking for the *.bom and program files for a shuriken v3, can someone post them here or send me download links, I only have the gerbers (if someone need them)
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Sun Jul 31, 2016 7:30 pm

BUMP UPDATE:

Hello everyone, I have been pretty busy working on the shuriken video v3. I have finally fixed the bridge on the IC, soldered up the shuriken video to the gamecube, and have the programmer.

I am assuming I am in the correct area to get the files needed to flash? If I am, which files do I need to make this work? Also, how do I go about using IMPACT to flash the chip? I plan on powering on the gamecube so the shuriken is powered as it is wired up to the digital av port pins. I also remember reading something about jumping JP1 during the whole programming process or at a specific moment (left of R4)?

If anyone has experience with this and can explain exactly what files I need and how to flash it, I would greatly appreciate it!
zeldaxpro
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:26 pm

zeldaxpro wrote: I have finally fixed the bridge on the IC

:shock:
bridge on the IC????
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:30 pm

Bump would anyone be able to help me?
zeldaxpro
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:09 am

zeldaxpro wrote:Bump would anyone be able to help me?
I'm going to be trying this soon, but check out the web archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20151222125 ... 0video.htm

In there is says this:
Programming the shuriken board

Xilinx ISE IDE software creates a *.bit file which is used to program via JTAG the FPGA, however this board is designed to load it configuration information from a spi serial flash device ( M25P40). So it needs a slightly different file for programming. To create this I used xilinx's command prompt promgen program and run it using the following parameters

promgen -spi -p bin -o spi_flash.bin -s 512 -u 0 toplevel_p2xh.bit

This creates a binary file spi_flash.bin which I used to program the board (see xilinx app951 page 13 for more details). To program the board you simple connect JP1 this pulls prog_b low and forces the FPGA into standby mode allowing a flash programmer direct access to the spi flash chip. Then you connect your programmer to the serial flash port (conn3 on the PCB) and flash down the *.bin file. To flash down the binary file I used my own program here, (note tested using a XP machine using this i/o driver I think (placed in c:\windows\system32\drivers) but this uses a parallel port to bit bang the spi flash commands / data to the chip which most computers do not have anymore.

If you have a JTAG programmer you can follow the instructions on page 13 of xilinx app951 which basically creates a *.mcs file instead of a bin file and uses iMPACT to flash this file into the spi serial flash chip.
Here is the app951 doc http://www.xilinx.com/support/documenta ... app951.pdf

edit, I just read the steps on the pdf and it seems quite simple.
Last edited by citrus3000psi on Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 1:16 am

You want to grab the .bit and .mcs file for programming. Impact should pick up the FPGA and spi if you have everything hooked up correctly and have the GameCube powered on. There is a light on the programmer that should be orange when the cube is off then should turn green when powered on

Oh that jumper must be connected together next to r4
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Wed Aug 03, 2016 4:18 am

Thank you citrus3000psi and andre104623 for the information and help I really appreciate it! I am going to be trying this out tomorrow and will definitely keep this thread updated! Wish me luck :)
zeldaxpro
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:00 pm

Hey everyone just an update it seems like I am getting some kind of error. Gamecube powered on while the shuriken is connected. All the programming wires are correctly installed.

I double click on Boundary Scan, load the correct .bit file:
However when I hit program, I get the 923 error, saying that no cable detected:
I tried reinstalling the drivers, following the guide on installing the drivers

When I plugged in the programmer to the USB port on my laptop, windows detected it, new hardware found, and said it installed correctly. Every time I plug in the programmer I hear the beep from windows letting me know its connected, and the programmer blinks an orange light for a second and goes away.

Does anyone know what the problem could be? Any help would be really appreciated thanks!
zeldaxpro
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:18 pm

I think this is a driver issue. When I plug in my programmer I get a constant red/orange light. Once the GameCube is powered on I get a constant green light. I use Linux though, so it may just be different due to driver implementation.
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:08 am

zeldaxpro wrote:Hey everyone just an update it seems like I am getting some kind of error. Gamecube powered on while the shuriken is connected.
OK your almost there you need to tell impact what spi flash you have so right click on spi and a pop up box will appear. Choose the correct spi that is installed (I forget the number I think m40p80) and then another pop up menu will appear choose FPGA will load programming from spi (it will say something like that) Cross your fingers! If all should go well it will say successfully programmed. Now stop and disconnect the jp1 and solder a 4.7k resistor between the points connect your HDMI cable disconnect the programmer but leave the wires soldered in case you fucked up then turn the TV and cube on hopefully you should be enjoying gcvideo
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:15 am

Also use the 32bit impact if it still gives a error use the 64bit if that still gives a error boot the computer in safe mode
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:24 am

andre104623 wrote:Also use the 32bit impact if it still gives a error use the 64bit if that still gives a error boot the computer in safe mode
Thanks for the info andre104623! I just have a question though I'm not really understanding. Is that error suppose to come up (923) for cable not detected? Because that is what I'm confused about. Am I doing everything right so far minus what you just stated in the last 2 posts?
zeldaxpro
andre104623

Post by andre104623 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:17 am

zeldaxpro wrote:
andre104623 wrote:Also use the 32bit impact if it still gives a error use the 64bit if that still gives a error boot the computer in safe mode
Thanks for the info andre104623! I just have a question though I'm not really understanding. Is that error suppose to come up (923) for cable not detected? Because that is what I'm confused about. Am I doing everything right so far minus what you just stated in the last 2 posts?
Reinstall the drivers, change USB ports, disable driver signature enforcement sometimes I run into problems as well. Can I ask why you have wires soldered together for the JTAG connectons
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 12:56 pm

Reinstall the drivers, change USB ports, disable driver signature enforcement sometimes I run into problems as well. Can I ask why you have wires soldered together for the JTAG connectons
Ok thank you I will try that and see how it goes. You don't think anything is wrong with the programmer itself do you? And for the wires soldered for the JTAG connections because I didn't have any header pins. Could that he potentially an issue? Thanks.
zeldaxpro
citrus3000psi

Post by citrus3000psi » Fri Aug 05, 2016 3:39 pm

zeldaxpro wrote:
Ok thank you I will try that and see how it goes. You don't think anything is wrong with the programmer itself do you? And for the wires soldered for the JTAG connections because I didn't have any header pins. Could that he potentially an issue? Thanks.

soldered wires are fine. Where did you get the programmer? aliexpress? Perhaps change directions and get one of these:Lcsoft CY7C68013A Mini Board

http://www.retro-system.com/shuriken%20video.htm
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:10 pm

soldered wires are fine. Where did you get the programmer? aliexpress? Perhaps change directions and get one of these:Lcsoft CY7C68013A Mini Board
I got the programmer from ebay. And I did see that but I did not really understand how to program it with that. Plus, the people that have successfully got the shuriken to work used the Xilinx Programmer (as far as I've seen). Are you planning to program yours using the Lcosft Mini Board? You should let me know how it works out. Thanks!
zeldaxpro
zeldaxpro

Post by zeldaxpro » Thu Aug 11, 2016 3:51 am

Hey everyone I am back with an update and another problem. If anyone could help me out I would really appreciate it. Here are pictures showing up to the error. Just to note:

1. Gamecube is connected and powered on.
2. Shuriken Video is connected to Gamecube.
3. Programming wires are connected to Programmer

I open up IMPACT, double click on the boundary scan and choose "add Xilinx Device". I think choose the .bit:
It then shows it added it successfully. I think right click and choose add SPI/PROM and select the .mcs file
my programmer shows up Green:
I checked continuity between the board 5 pins and the programmer spots (VCC, GND, TCK, etc) and they all make connection.
It then asks me to select a SPI PROM. I chose M25P40 because I believe that is the correct one (as it is the chip on my board and on the v3 datasheet):
And then when I hit ok I get the error programmed failed:

I tried a couple different things and still programmed failed but with a slight different error

Does anyone know what it could it be? I am so close and I would really appreciate anyones help in trouble shooting this. Does anyone know if I need a new programmer? It does show up as Platform USB at the speed is default 6MHz. Thank you!
zeldaxpro
meneerbeer

Post by meneerbeer » Thu Aug 11, 2016 7:44 am

If you open up impact and right click on the white field where normally your FPGA + flash pops up, what happens if you select 'initialize chain'? That command will detect your FPGA through JTAG and then it should appear in the white field.

I think there may be a problem with the soldering in your circuit somewhere.