Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
bobrocks95

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:43 pm

The reset button on the Gamecube. To make sure I don't lose any save data I'll hold the reset button down while I switch the game out (much like Zelda 1 recommended on the NES)
EDlTOR

Post by EDlTOR » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56 pm

bobrocks95 wrote:The reset button on the Gamecube. To make sure I don't lose any save data I'll hold the reset button down while I switch the game out (much like Zelda 1 recommended on the NES)
I do the exact same thing. Works great!
DanAdamKOF

Post by DanAdamKOF » Fri Jul 08, 2016 7:51 am

Extrems wrote:It's impossible to implement SGB features.
FirebrandX wrote:Would you be willing to change the default argument to a perfect square pixel match of the original graphics?
No, but I'll add an option to set the sample aspect ratio.
Very glad to hear this. I ran into this too (post on page 15).
JohnSmith1882

Post by JohnSmith1882 » Sun Jul 10, 2016 12:01 am

I'm sure this has been asked already (20 pages of text though haha), but how can I changed the default settings? I have a Framemeister and I want it to open at 240P/60FPS and 2X zoom without having to input the setting every single time.

Thanks.
patters

Post by patters » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:37 pm

I bought a Gameboy Player with no disc and have tested out this great piece of software. Since I don't have the official startup disc I can't tell just how much better this is, but it's certainly not blurry. I can see the colour palette adjustments when using the exit function to compare between regular and low latency versions (helps that the Gameboy Player running state does not change).

I connect to a Sony Bravia TV via component cable. As expected, the ultra-low latency doesn't work well for me (I can see tearing on vertical scrolling), but the regular version works very well. It seems that the low latency version works without vertical tearing, but I can't force 480p - it's 480i only. Is that why it's described as only working on CRTs? Is its framebuffer insufficient somehow for progressive?

In the features, Extrems mentions that there is no low pass audio filter. Is that something that ideally should be present, but isn't for latency's sake? Or will it be a forthcoming feature?
Kwyjib0

Post by Kwyjib0 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:56 pm

Ignoring visual and audio quality, if I want the games to feel and play as much like the GBA as possible, should I use the ultra low latency version? I play on a CRT TV using s-video.
DanAdamKOF

Post by DanAdamKOF » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Kwyjib0 wrote:Ignoring visual and audio quality, if I want the games to feel and play as much like the GBA as possible, should I use the ultra low latency version? I play on a CRT TV using s-video.
If I recall, LL and ULL cause colorburst to run out of spec and not be recognized, your video will be black and white with Composite and S-Video.
Kwyjib0

Post by Kwyjib0 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:48 pm

DanAdamKOF wrote:
Kwyjib0 wrote:Ignoring visual and audio quality, if I want the games to feel and play as much like the GBA as possible, should I use the ultra low latency version? I play on a CRT TV using s-video.
If I recall, LL and ULL cause colorburst to run out of spec and not be recognized, your video will be black and white with Composite and S-Video.
So the only option for playing in color is the regular Game Boy Interface? How does that compare to the retail start-up disc in terms of input delay and other things that affect gameplay?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:06 pm

JohnSmith1882 wrote:I'm sure this has been asked already (20 pages of text though haha), but how can I changed the default settings? I have a Framemeister and I want it to open at 240P/60FPS and 2X zoom without having to input the setting every single time.

Thanks.
Make a .cli file with the arguments listed in the first post, that should do it.
patters wrote:I connect to a Sony Bravia TV via component cable. As expected, the ultra-low latency doesn't work well for me (I can see tearing on vertical scrolling), but the regular version works very well. It seems that the low latency version works without vertical tearing, but I can't force 480p - it's 480i only. Is that why it's described as only working on CRTs? Is its framebuffer insufficient somehow for progressive?
Try starting a game that supports 480p and choosing to enable progressive scan. Not 100% sure on that but I can get the ULL version to boot in 480p (maybe they're different and you too can get 480p from the ULL version).
In the features, Extrems mentions that there is no low pass audio filter. Is that something that ideally should be present, but isn't for latency's sake? Or will it be a forthcoming feature?
That's something the regular Gameboy Player disc does and generally makes games sound worse.
DanAdamKOF wrote:
S-Video works for me in color with the LL version, but not the ULL version. YMMV
FirebrandX

Post by FirebrandX » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 am

DanAdamKOF wrote:
FirebrandX wrote:Would you be willing to change the default argument to a perfect square pixel match of the original graphics?
Glad to find out I'm not the only one that noticed. Hopefully there will be LL and ULL versions with the fix. As it stands right now, GBA is good but GB/C always bothers me with that shimmering effect while horizontally scrolling.
DanAdamKOF

Post by DanAdamKOF » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:23 am

FirebrandX wrote:
DanAdamKOF wrote:

Glad to find out I'm not the only one that noticed. Hopefully there will be LL and ULL versions with the fix. As it stands right now, GBA is good but GB/C always bothers me with that shimmering effect while horizontally scrolling.
lol. I actually noticed it right away on GBA. Didn't use GB/C very much yet.
Vasid

Post by Vasid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 5:47 am

emu_kidid wrote:suloku, I've added user configurable parameter support for DOL files into Swiss (via developer defined parameter files).

Example:
Spoiler
Show
Can someone please tell me how to access this? I'm on a later version of Swiss so I know it's there, but nothing I do brings this option up.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:34 pm

How are you launching GBI? You need to place the GBI.dcp file on the same device/directory as the DOL. If your answer is via memory card, you'll need to copy the .dcp there using Swiss and another device.
Vasid

Post by Vasid » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:25 pm

emu_kidid wrote:How are you launching GBI? You need to place the GBI.dcp file on the same device/directory as the DOL. If your answer is via memory card, you'll need to copy the .dcp there using Swiss and another device.
I'm launching via Swiss through flashcard via Memory Slot 2. And yep, I've got the .dcp in the same directory as the gbi.dol. How do I launch the parameter menu?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:00 am

If it's named the same as the .dcp it should automatically come up when you press A on the DOL file. You're not running an ancient version of Swiss per chance? Grab the latest from here.
Vasid

Post by Vasid » Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:22 am

emu_kidid wrote:If it's named the same as the .dcp it should automatically come up when you press A on the DOL file. You're not running an ancient version of Swiss per chance? Grab the latest from here.
Ah, updating to the latest Swiss fixed it. Odd because I was sure I had a newer version, but I also did a bit of tidying in the directory so maybe that did it. Thanks, I had no idea where to start. Working perfectly now. I still have my GameBoyPlayer disc but this is a great rival to it, keep up the good work!
ChopstickSamurai

Post by ChopstickSamurai » Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:30 pm

I just registered here to say thanks a lot for this. I've been playing with GBI this past week and I've been blown away by it. Great work!
SmokeMonster

Post by SmokeMonster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:24 pm

Great work on this! :D

Could someone recommend the optimal settings for s-video on a PVM (zoomed to full-screen at 3.125x)? I've been testing GBI video settings for an hour or so but haven't been able to get the sharpness that I'd like. It looks great at the regular size, but once zoomed it gets blurry and filtered looking. Is this just unavoidable, or is there a good way to get a sharp full-screen picture?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:58 pm

Only other improvement really is getting component cables/doing a component mod, or not zooming/switching to the low-lag version (which doesn't support zoom). I don't believe there are any settings that will affect sharpness.
SmokeMonster

Post by SmokeMonster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Thanks, but surely there must be some way to cleanly upscale the image without blurring/smoothing?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:20 pm

If you're running in 240p, scaling doesn't work properly. This is unavoidable.
SmokeMonster

Post by SmokeMonster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:43 pm

I'm running 480i60. I just found that it's a lot sharper at exactly 3x zoom.

Here is my working CLI:

Code: Select all

--overlay=Frame-sRGB.tpl.gz
--intent=saturation
--scan-mode=interlace
--input-gamma=1.
--output-gamma=1.
--contrast=1.
If anyone has suggestions for improvements, please let me know. Again, I'm running s-video to a CRT (Sony PVM 2030: 240p/480i native)
Last edited by SmokeMonster on Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:52 pm

SmokeMonster wrote:I'm running 480i60.
SmokeMonster wrote:

Code: Select all

--scan-mode=non-interlace
No you're not.
SmokeMonster

Post by SmokeMonster » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:01 pm

My mistake, that was my old CLI. I am in interlaced mode. I get a black screen in non-interlaced mode.

Edit: I'm extremely happy now with the updated CLI that I just posted, and I can get a sharp picture by changing the zoom. GBI is incredible. Thank you to everyone who made it possible :D

Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:32 pm

I'm not sure why you expected a 3.125x zoom to be really sharp. Non-integer scaling requires interpolation so that you don't get uneven pixel sizes.

Does your PVM not have an overscan mode? That would give an even better-looking picture and is something I forgot about.