Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
SmokeMonster

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by SmokeMonster » Sun Aug 28, 2016 12:32 am

Yes, I realized that integer scaling work best after posting. Anyways, it looks as good as it can get with s-video now and I'm very happy with the results.
MoBoRoS

Post by MoBoRoS » Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:06 am

Hi extrems!!
Thank you sooo much for your awesome work!
I am currently using GBI ULL mode on a pal cube hooked via RGB SCART to a sony PVM and the picture has the best quality i have ever seen.
The only problem i am now facing is a distortion after some time of playing while the motion is fast (example: the game character moving fast or changimg screens). By distortion i mean horizontal lines that are blurry/tangled when the GBA screens or characters move.
It doesn't stop once it happens and i don't think it is hardware related. Any info on this? I will try and get some screencaps as soon as i get home.
Thanks again for the awesomeness you brought us. ;)
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Sun Aug 28, 2016 4:35 pm

ULL is pretty far out of spec for most displays. On mine, after around 5 minutes or so shaky horizontal lines slowly start scrolling down the screen until they hit the bottom, then after another 5 minutes the cycle repeats.

Have you tried the LL version? On a CRT I don't think the lag is noticeable at all.
MoBoRoS

Post by MoBoRoS » Mon Aug 29, 2016 8:49 am

PVMs are supposed to accept many signals without problem. Anyway if it is indeed hardware related we could possibly counter the problem if we know the name or the exact cause of this problem. I will try degaussing the monitor once the problem happens.

-------EDIT-----------------
I may or may not have found the culprit. According to the wikia the horizontal tearing i am facing is due to the framerate of the ULL version. Some crt could be damaged because of framerate.
Attachments
Screenshot_20160829-120750.png
(306.27 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Guspaz

Post by Guspaz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:57 pm

The problem you describe is not related to the refresh rate of the display, but because the GameCube and GBA hardware are not running perfectly in sync, and will slowly drift into and out of sync. What you're seeing is the effect of the cube starting to send a frame to the TV when the GBA is already part way through drawing the next frame. AFAIK this can't be fixed without a framebuffer, and the LL version of GBI is specifically intended to address this problem at the expense of one frame of extra lag. It also runs at a slightly higher refresh rate, significantly improving compatibility with display devices.

In other words, the solution to the problem is the LL version, if you want the lowest latency at all costs, put up with the tearing.

You're not going to damage a PVM with any of the refresh rates supported by GBI like the ~59.7 Hz of ULL: the PVM is designed for both PAL (50Hz) and NTSC (59.97Hz), and 59.7 falls within that range. The compatibility issues come with the timing on the colour signal not being quite what is expected of NTSC.
ledgerewskie

Post by ledgerewskie » Sun Sep 04, 2016 12:16 am

I'm having a problem. I'm playing on a CRT; when I force Gameboy Player to 240p, it works fine and there is no blur - and the same is true for GBI LL. However, if I use the regular version, there is blur when things move across the screen. I'm not sure how to disable it. This is my cli right now:

Code: Select all

--scan-mode=non-interlace
--filter=normalnx
--zoom=2.375
--offset=-1:0
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 12:39 am

If I was to use a Raphnet SNES to GC adapter, could I use Y as B and B as A? The only mode available from the adapter does not allow usage of the L and R buttons, as it is the NES mode. This configuration would feel the best for me with these games.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:01 am

The options are to either flash the Raphnet adapter, or for Unseen to add in controller configuration support. I forget if that was being worked on but I feel like it was?
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:22 am

What do you mean by flashing the adapter?
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 2:30 am

Flash the firmware on it with a version that has different mappings. Check Raphnet's website.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 3:09 am

I saw the firmwares but nothing related to what I'm looking for. Could you link me? Also, how do I flash it? Like with my modded Wii somehow? Thanks
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:30 am

I don't have the adapter, so I don't really know on either point. Email him to see if he'll offer an alternative firmware with the config you want (and plenty others from what I've read) if it's not available on his website.

Flashing information should have been on there though. I'd assume there's either a Wii homebrew for it or you just have to solder a USB Blaster up to a JTAG interface on the board. I know the Gamecube to N64 adapter has an N64 homebrew for flashing.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 6:34 am

I have e-mailed him actually. He ignored me lol. I bought 3 of his adapters too like damn.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:52 pm

Ah, that sucks. I would recommend his adapter for GBI if it had a Y-B mapping available. The Gamecube to N64 adapter has fully user-customizable layouts, so I'm not sure why he hasn't put that much into his other products.

Are firmware files available? Maybe they could be manually modified in some way?

EDIT: Doesn't even seem like the SNES adapter if flashable... I assumed feature parity with the N64 adapter, but I guess not. Maybe there's JTAG support, but firmwares aren't available either.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Mon Sep 05, 2016 7:08 pm

That's a real shame. Hopefully mapping will be implemented into the GBI, Y-B just feels so so much better.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Sep 07, 2016 1:50 pm

For low latency version:
  • Added video options.
  • Added control schemes.
  • Added polling rate setting.
Use --poll=0 for compatibility with the raphnet N64 adapter.
Use --format=custom for 59.7276 Hz video.
bobrocks95

Post by bobrocks95 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 4:34 pm

Well speak of the devil! Thanks Extrems!
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:53 pm

Oh wow, that's awesome! Thank you so much. Now here's hoping the disk I ordered from codejunkies uk works when it finally arrives.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:56 am

I'm trying to open either configuration in Swiss and it's telling me the file is an unknown type and to enable file management... but it is. Please help!
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 08, 2016 4:34 am

In Swiss you can't load a .dcp or a .cli file by pressing A on them directly. You can select the DOL and if there's a .dcp or a .cli they will be used, don't put both though because then you'll enter a raffle to see which one will actually apply (or super lucky: crash).
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Thu Sep 08, 2016 5:46 am

emu_kidid wrote:In Swiss you can't load a .dcp or a .cli file by pressing A on them directly. You can select the DOL and if there's a .dcp or a .cli they will be used, don't put both though because then you'll enter a raffle to see which one will actually apply (or super lucky: crash).
Thank you so much!
donhonk

Post by donhonk » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:33 am

Extrems wrote:For low latency version:
[*]Added control schemes.[/b]
God tier!! :D
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:46 am

I have 2 ideas that are kinda far off but just thought I would mention nonetheless. So I always plan on using the settings of controls C and 240p60, is there a way to always default to that? I mean, ideally I would want it like on start up so I could swap games without the menus but like I doubt that would ever be possible. It's really all I use for the SD Media Launcher anyway. Also, and even more far off, would save states for speedrun practice ever be a thing?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:20 am

aterraformer wrote:So I always plan on using the settings of controls C and 240p60, is there a way to always default to that?
A .cli file, the low latency version defaults to 240p60 regardless.
aterraformer wrote:I mean, ideally I would want it like on start up so I could swap games without the menus but like I doubt that would ever be possible.
Press the reset button when changing games.
aterraformer wrote:Also, and even more far off, would save states for speedrun practice ever be a thing?
It might be possible to patch specific games, but it's not really feasible without external hardware.
aterraformer

Post by aterraformer » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:59 pm

Thanks for getting back to me. Ah okay, haven't tried that one. I guess "static" in the description would be a good indicator lol. Ah so I could just eject the game while it's running and swap games without damaging anything? Sounds good. Yeah, I was thinking of like what the Wii does but that more installs onto the Wii I guess so that's different. I suppose I could check with individual communities, see if there are any plans.