Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE to GC tutorial + Compatibility

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
_Alex_

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE to GC tutorial + Compatibilit

Post by _Alex_ » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:26 pm

Ashen wrote: Before using your Wiikey Fusion on your GameCube you must set the region switch correctly! Else the GameCube will give you the standard error that you get when a Disc Drive is not connected to the Cube. Instuctions on how to set the region DIP switches on the Wiikey Fusion can be found here: http://www.wiikey.com/en/support/wiikey ... tallation/
Hello Ashen, i have a question again ;), what ist this standart error? I ask because i soldered everthing well (i think) and want to test if the gc is working before i plug in the wiikeyfusion.

I already fired up the cube, and after 3-5 seconds i get this error: An error is occured.... please turn of...

Is this the error you mean?

Thanks in advance again!
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:16 pm

Check your soldering and confirm you have all those wires going to the correct location.

If you think your soldering is correct, then consider this:
If you are on firmware 1.0 or don't know what firmware you have, then most likely WKF is at firmware 1.0.
This means you MUST connect the WKF SD slot and insert an sd card...

Why?
Because without this the WKF will default to read/load a DVD. With no DVD drive connected, you get the standard error message.
emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving
>>> BadAssConsoles.com <<<

Image Image Image
_Alex_

Post by _Alex_ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:00 pm

megalomaniac wrote:Check your soldering and confirm you have all those wires going to the correct location.

If you think your soldering is correct, then consider this:
If you are on firmware 1.0 or don't know what firmware you have, then most likely WKF is at firmware 1.0.
This means you MUST connect the WKF SD slot and insert an sd card...

Why?
Because without this the WKF will default to read/load a DVD. With no DVD drive connected, you get the standard error message.
Okay thank you! But the question was, what is the standard error message? :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:06 pm

emu_kidid wrote: beer is like WD40 for megalomaniac's brain, gets the gears moving

Image Image Image
_Alex_

Post by _Alex_ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:12 pm

Thx but i got the message "An error has occurred. Turn the Power Off and check the Nintendo GameCube Instruction Booklet for further instructions." is it the same or not?

I hope my wiikey will arrive sone :)

EDIT: Maybe my question is wrong; i simply want to know what failure the gc will show if you don't connect anything, no drive or wiikey or wode or else :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:58 pm

oops...sorry..i posted wrong error message...
i just connected GC without drive or wkf connected and this is what the error message looks like...

Attachments
error.jpg
(80.54 KiB) Not downloaded yet

Image Image Image
_Alex_

Post by _Alex_ » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:16 pm

Thanks, you're my man! Thats exactly the message i see when i turn on my cube, so i think the soldering up to now should be okay, no shorts or anything. When my Fusion arrives i will post results! :)
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:02 pm

Actually, that message does not indicate your wiring is correct...you won't know till you connect the drive replacement.

Image Image Image
_Alex_

Post by _Alex_ » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:14 pm

Yeah, everything works flawlessly! :)

BTW the first Fusion i connected, does not work, i think its DOA :(.
The Second one works from Startup fine!

Any Idee about the first one? Only red light will come up, somtimes the blue light flashes.

Does the Fusion play all regions on my PAL Cube? For Example, can i play Mario Power Tennis NTSC on wiifusion @ PAL Cube?

EDIT: So far i cant get any ntsc game to work on my pal cube, only tested alien hominid (blackscreen, mario power tennis (black screen), animal crossing(sound but no picture) PAL Games works fine

Also i got an error on the Wiikey 1.5 Update @ Verifiy is it normal - BTW Everything Runs Fine after Update?

Thanks in advance

EDIT2: I reflashed the Wiikey with 1.4 Update and then 1.5, no error occurs, so i think everything is fine! :)
Gamerlolwind

Post by Gamerlolwind » Mon May 27, 2013 3:57 pm

hay guys, i have a question on wiikey fusion,

if i use this method for gc games to:

DiscEX > convert gc games, then > GCutilty > to shrink the gc games from 1.35gb > smaller size mb etc, then > WBFS manager 4.0 > to add shrinker gc games to sd card.

and they will work on wkf?

if i use this method, first to shrink the games so i can save space on my 64gb card and fit all my gc games and possibly swiss etc on one card (no multi disk games through, as they need to be on two different same size cards for multi disk ex 8gb game1.iso 8gb game2.iso).

also, wkf takes shrinked games and works fine with them with no issues?
and does wbfs manager accept shrinker games or gives them off as errors?

thanx
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Thu Jun 13, 2013 3:18 am

Fantastic guide. My only complaint is you make difficult stuff look too easy.
Drakon

Post by Drakon » Sat Jun 15, 2013 11:42 am

How do you figure out exactly what ipl your gamecube has? If I remove the heatsink and use that number underneath it can I tell from that?

*edit* Just read this:

viewtopic.php?f=26&t=1004

Okay that's good to know.
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:22 am

Hiya, I have a question about the wkf mod, assuming that one won't have the original drive on the GC (have a console with a dead drive) is it possible to use the original GC drive sensor-switch?
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:43 am

keropi wrote:Hiya, I have a question about the wkf mod, assuming that one won't have the original drive on the GC (have a console with a dead drive) is it possible to use the original GC drive sensor-switch?
yes, just remove the drive and remove the switch..
mount the switch the best way you possibly can to get it near its original location to sense the lid open/close..
one wire will go directly to the mainboard dvd port, the other wire to the WKF...

Image Image Image
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 am

thanks megalomaniac :)
keropi

Post by keropi » Fri Jun 28, 2013 3:28 pm

Right, with almost all parts finally here I started working on the mod. I have completely removed the dvd connector and now wait for an fpc adapter.

I have a question on the pin29 switch the "normally closed momentary tact switch" , can someone point me to a better looking one on eBay? I can easily find locally switches like the one pictured on the tutorial but I was hoping to install something nicer... :)
All I can find are the typical ugly push-button styled ones :lol:
TIA!
kel01

Post by kel01 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 7:20 pm

Not sure if you were aware but since megalomaniac found a way to autoload/autoboot swiss on the WKF, the pin29 switch became obsolete.

viewtopic.php?t=1298&f=15
megalomaniac

Post by megalomaniac » Sat Jun 29, 2013 1:17 am

kel01 wrote:Not sure if you were aware but since megalomaniac found a way to autoload/autoboot swiss on the WKF, the pin29 switch became obsolete.

viewtopic.php?t=1298&f=15
i would not say obsolete...i dont need to use it during initial bootup, but i still use it all the time for other things...

Image Image Image
keropi

Post by keropi » Sat Jun 29, 2013 5:37 pm

I had no idea bout the switch deal... so what's recommended for a gc that has no dvd drive?

edit: is there a place to grab those new swiss builds that I see on the videos? it's not the same as the swiss-0.3-r174 from last year, right?

edit2: found r221 so I guess I'm ok on the software side...

edit3: is it correct to assume that shrinked isos with GCMUtility work fine via swiss?
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 9:45 am

Is there a diagram somewhere of a momentary push button + components to simulate the pin29 switch?
I think megalomaniac uses a circuit in his videos instead of a switch like the one on the tutorial?
DerGali

Post by DerGali » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:55 pm

Thx for this great Guide. I used another cheap alternative FPC Adapter:
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=13236647352
Or for guys like me who can't speak chinese :)
http://www.buychina.com/items/fpc-40p-d ... rurtosppnj
RolleR

Post by RolleR » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:30 am

Hi, can I use a wiikey fusion clone??
Sugurain

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE to GC tutorial + Compatibility

Post by Sugurain » Fri Mar 18, 2016 4:47 am

So, what does i need to do if want to install a Wiikey Fusion AND retain my DVD drive intact?

I wanted it to behave like the original xbox or the PS2 (with network adapter + HDD), that is: the DVD drive is still fully operational, while being able to read games (with higher read speed than the DVD drive, preferably) from other media. (in this case a SD card)

I've successfully done a similar mod to a Dreamcast, but as it uses a IDE interface, you can keep both the disc drive and the HDD plugged together. So, yeah, now it behaves just like an original xbox/PS2 with HDD.

Is it possible to do the same with the GC?
I want the bennefits of running games via SD card, but I still want to play the occasional game on disc!
retronerd

Post by retronerd » Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:48 pm

Im littlebit confused. I have an NTSCU-1.1 is says that on the mobo i also have a red start logo. do i have a compatible mobo then?

ive heard that you can use an wasp preflashed with swiss, do i still need to hold a button down during boot?
whyat

Post by whyat » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:13 pm

I'm confused about the wiki, it says we can boot burned DVD backups of GameCube games with a wiikey model 1 chip installed in a dms model wii drive. Dms drives are very hard to find. Can I use any other GameCube compatible wii DVD drive?