Burning discs?

Find all your GameCube topics here
Chris230291

Burning discs?

Post by Chris230291 » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:21 pm

Hi all. I've used image burn to write the Swiss ISO to a disc. The discs I'm using are "MediaRange". When the burn finishes successfully I try it in my cube (Xeno) but it cant read it. My pot is adjusted below 150 ohms. Perhaps worth mentioning is that my PC sees the DVD disc as a CDROM after burning.
Screenshot_9.png
(5.04 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Any ideas? Bad media? Bad burner?

The Xeno works.. I can play imports.

Cheers,
Chris
Nimecim

Re: Burning discs?

Post by Nimecim » Thu Dec 01, 2016 10:45 pm

You've put the ISO onto the disc as a file, haven't you? You need to burn it as an image! Windows simply sees the disc as an unknown format when it's done properly.
Unknown Format.png
(3.38 KiB) Not downloaded yet
In ImgBurn, choose "Write image file to disc", instead of "Write files/folders to disc". Then, select the ISO as the source and burn it.

If that doesn't work, it's possible that the media isn't suitable. You can try lowering the pot even further, burning at different speed, on different burners, etc...

When you're using discs which you don't know whether they even work at all on any Gamecube, there are lots of variables left in the air.

Edit: According to digitalfaq, MediaRange discs are likely manufactured by MBI, and they make 1st-class and 2nd-class discs. Since the Ritek are 2nd-class, there's a good chance your MediaRange media should work. You can retrieve the Media ID (MID) of your discs with ImgBurn by looking at the status panel on the right. If you look up the Media ID in the digitalfaq tables, you could get an idea of how good your discs are.
ImgBurn.png
(33.7 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:55 am

Hi, thanks for the reply. No I did burn it correctly. Here is what I see when looking at one of my "successful" burn attempts.
Screenshot_10.png
(39.1 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Thanks,
Chris
Nimecim

Post by Nimecim » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:36 am

Okay, I'm sorry I was a bit snarky. I just popped a burned copy of the Swiss ISO into my drive and it does show up as CDFS in Windows as well, which isn't the case with game backups.

The "AML" MID is 3rd-class media according to digitalfaq (cheap, unreliable, or complete junk), so the chances that you could get them to work at all are low. I bought some cheap Chinese media that had the "AML" MID as well, and they were garbage due to a faulty surface on all the discs. I did get them to work, but I had to lower the pot a lot (down to 130 Ohms while the drive could read 12cm Taiyo Yuden at 315 Ohms, and the original setting was 326 Ohms) and they kept skipping or throwing DREs whenever the laser reached the end of the disc.

If you still want to get your discs working, start by setting the burning speed to 4x instead of AWS (ImgBurn likely resolves AWS to 4x, but just to be sure). My AML media didn't work at all at 2x. Then, you could try using different burners, possibly on different computers. Finally, you can try setting your pot even lower, but then you run the risk of burning your laser, especially if you'll be playing original games as well.

If I were you, I'd just go with media that's known to work, and to work well. That Club Myce forum post has a list of media that's known to work (but not necessarily well). While you're looking for good Mini-DVDs, you can also try using full-sized DVDs with the top of the case off, just to see if you can get any burned media to work at all.

Otherwise, if you only want to run Swiss to launch games from an SD card and avoid discs altogether, you can use a save game exploit. However, it's not quite as convenient, as some of them (such as PokeLoad with Pokemon XD) can take up to a minute or so to load Swiss. Also, the compressed version of Swiss you end up having to use isn't as reliable as the uncompressed one. I've had some trouble launching games that way with the latest revision of Swiss (r377), although it worked fine with an earlier one (r371).
Last edited by Nimecim on Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:32 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I'll try new media then if that fails, a new burner.
The problem is I'm struggling to find media that is on the list here... http://club.myce.com/f33/gamecube-blank ... ia-229874/
I can search for brands but I have no idea what the MID is until they arrive.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Chris
Nimecim

Post by Nimecim » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:01 pm

Yeah, I know. Stores never list the MID of the media they sell, and it's just a guessing game until you receive them, but you could try asking them by email.

There's a thread here with reports of working media and where to buy them, but since most of the replies are from 2011-2014, a lot of it is likely to be outdated.

As for specific recommendations, it really depends on where you live. Since you were using MediaRange media, I'm guessing you're in Germany or at least somewhere in Europe, but I'm in Canada so I can't really help you.
Last edited by Nimecim on Wed Dec 07, 2016 2:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Yes I'm in the EU. I found some TDK discs that were very cheap. Looking at the digitalfaq site suggests TDK branded discs are class 1 so I guess I'll see what happens.
Chris230291

Post by Chris230291 » Thu Dec 08, 2016 8:45 pm

Discs came today. CMCMAGAF1. Worked first time.