Swiss Nightly Build

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
novenary

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by novenary » Sat May 20, 2017 9:36 am

Try setting the game to 60Hz mode or forcing 480i with Swiss.
gcboy

Post by gcboy » Sat May 20, 2017 1:41 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Try setting the game to 60Hz mode or forcing 480i with Swiss.
Thank you! The 480i does the trick. It works!
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Fri May 26, 2017 10:11 am

So I've been having problems with the latest build of Swiss on my Wasp. Mainly, that it was an absolute pain to get it to flash on to the Wasp in the first place, it kept crashing just before the process started. Once I finally did get it on there, it crashes when I open any folder on my Wasp SD. I ended up downgrading because it was completely unusable.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri May 26, 2017 11:30 am

Xaranar wrote:So I've been having problems with the latest build of Swiss on my Wasp. Mainly, that it was an absolute pain to get it to flash on to the Wasp in the first place, it kept crashing just before the process started. Once I finally did get it on there, it crashes when I open any folder on my Wasp SD. I ended up downgrading because it was completely unusable.
I'll try it on mine once I'm done overhauling device handling. I blame changes to the toolchain.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:01 am

I've finished my major device overhaul for the time being and fixed many bugs, can people try the latest release and let me know of bugs/etc via the github issue tracker. If you have a BBA, wait 5-10 sec before doing anything in Swiss if you're getting random hanging in the menu.

Releases are on github, appreciate any feedback/bugs/etc :)
theclaw

Post by theclaw » Mon Jun 12, 2017 8:24 am

gcboy wrote:Thank you! The 480i does the trick. It works!
NTSC gamecube has incorrect color at 50hz. A component cable historically was the easy solution for compatible TVs, but needless to say far too expensive now.
emu_kidid wrote:I've finished my major device overhaul for the time being and fixed many bugs, can people try the latest release and let me know of bugs/etc via the github issue tracker. If you have a BBA, wait 5-10 sec before doing anything in Swiss if you're getting random hanging in the menu.

Hm. I shouldn't make false promises about trying a newer version.
As much as I've been meaning to see for my own eyes working 480p on Tales of Symphonia, that'd certainly impress me!
480i or 480p Mega Man X Collection too. Darned fussy displays haha.
Xaranar

Post by Xaranar » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:11 am

emu_kidid wrote:I've finished my major device overhaul for the time being and fixed many bugs, can people try the latest release and let me know of bugs/etc via the github issue tracker. If you have a BBA, wait 5-10 sec before doing anything in Swiss if you're getting random hanging in the menu.

Might seem like a stupid question, but what's a BBA?

Edit: Looked it up, yes I do have a broadband adapter, and I was getting random hanging in menus. Nice to know it's not just me!
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:41 pm

So, this FTP device is a client to connect to a server (or could we actually get an FTP server on the cube :O)?

Aside that: how do I set this thing up? That there is no option in the config dialog is written on the github, but there is nothing in the config file or an information online how to.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 6:18 am

Sierron wrote:So, this FTP device is a client to connect to a server (or could we actually get an FTP server on the cube :O)?

Aside that: how do I set this thing up? That there is no option in the config dialog is written on the github, but there is nothing in the config file or an information online how to.
For now: Save Settings in Swiss, then open up swiss.ini from the save device using your PC and enter in your FTP details. Load Swiss again and now it'll know where to connect to for FTP.
Jweeber

Post by Jweeber » Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:58 am

Sorry to stray a bit from the current device overhaul bug-hunt but I have a question regarding a feature request. This question has already been asked in this thread about a year ago but I didn't see a reply. Would it be possible to adapt the nintendont feature to display games at 720x480 as opposed to the native 640x480 output? My apologies if this was answered elsewhere in the forum and I overlooked it. The Genesis Plus GX emulator (2017-06-05 cube.dol build) has a similar variable pixel width feature which led me to believe the cube could pull it off. Thank you emu_kidid for your continued efforts! You make me love the cube even more with every new feature you add.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:18 am

It doesn't increase the resolution, it just adjusts the scaling.
Jweeber

Post by Jweeber » Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Thanks for the clarification Tueidj, scaling the display output to fill the screen on my TV is what I'm looking for.

*edit* ~Nevermind I now see the error of my ways having found the relevant forum topic:

https://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3335

The link above is a good read for anyone else who might be curious if swiss could solve their 16:9 scaling issues.

Feel free to delete my posts on this topic as they add no value to the discussion at hand.
santiis2010

Post by santiis2010 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:29 pm

Hello, i had the last build, but when i try to add some cheats with X boutton nothing happens, but if i boot the Swiss r369 and try the same thing i can load the cheats for RE0.... oh and the other problem i had is that Gameboy player disc said something about patches and i only got a green screen :(
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:20 pm

Use Game Boy Interface, the Game Boy Player Start-up isn't supported for SD backup.
santiis2010

Post by santiis2010 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:19 pm

Ok thanks! What about the cheats problems with r401? :)
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jun 29, 2017 4:51 pm

Sounds like a bug due to the refactor, I might take a look but no promises. The current source tree does not compile with dkppc r26 so it's going to be a bit of a pain.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:35 pm

I'm sure this has probably been asked before, but is there a way to have Swiss automatically launch a .dol file or .iso game on boot?

What I am trying to accomplish is to have my GameCube launch Swiss automatically with the Action Replay disc with the file named "autoexec.dol". This part is working correctly, and there's nothing I need to do to get into Swiss, so that's great - and handy when using Wavebirds.

The goal here is that I'd like to be able to set certain applications or games to Autoexecute that I know that I'll be playing for a while. For example, if there's a Gamecube cube that I'm playing, or if I want to use a SNES emulator- it's just one less step and makes it that much easier to get to what I want, which would make me more inclined to play (sounds lazy, but true).

My ideal vision for this functionality would be that you'd be able to set one item at a time as auto launch, either .dol or .iso either via the Swiss menu or manually in the swiss.ini configuration file with an appropriately configured line. If you messed anything up, it would be as simple as removing the line or deleting swiss.ini.

I'm not a developer (more of a infrastructure / networking guy) so I don't know how hard this would be to accomplish, but the systems are already in place for launching and executing. Maybe it already exists and I am just oblivious to the option.

Anyways as always appreciate your work, and looking forward to updates to come for Swiss that keep the GameCube living on!
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:01 pm

This is already a thing. You can place a boot.dol at the root of your SD card. See also this for more advanced options with this (no binary build supports it yet). It could also support booting games but that isn't implemented.
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 3:31 am

Hey everyone, how to do In Game Reset (IGR) with latest r401? I currently use Poke Hack, which loads Swiss from Memory Card (A) and loads its config from SDGeck on (B). I want to try games and homebrew and go back to Swiss instead of doing all the exploit again.
Thanks!
Love this forum!!!
My setup:
Nintendo Gamecube PAL + Game Boy Player + Pokémon Colosseum PAL (for Exploit) + Memcard 64(A) + SDGecko4GB(B)
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:52 am

Streetwalker wrote:This is already a thing. You can place a boot.dol at the root of your SD card. See also this for more advanced options with this (no binary build supports it yet). It could also support booting games but that isn't implemented.
Thank you for responding! And just like that, it looks like r416 was released.

I do have one more question for anyone here, recently I've noticed on r401 previously that I had some lock ups when trying to browse a folder/directory for whatever reason, but when browsing the root level was able to do just fine. The crash seemed to happen when trying to go one level deeper into a folder. I haven't had a chance to try r416 and report back just yet, but I did also see someone else mention something very similar a few pages back. I actually had to go back to using r382 (just a random version I picked that didn't seem to exhibit this behavior, same with r369 in my testing but that is a much older build).
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jul 30, 2017 11:20 pm

ochentay4 wrote:Hey everyone, how to do In Game Reset (IGR) with latest r401? I currently use Poke Hack, which loads Swiss from Memory Card (A) and loads its config from SDGeck on (B). I want to try games and homebrew and go back to Swiss instead of doing all the exploit again.
Thanks!
Love this forum!!!
Use r416, set In Game Reset to "Reboot" because that is the only type implemented for now. The reboot combination is R+Z+B+D-Pad Down.
boktai1000 wrote: I do have one more question for anyone here, recently I've noticed on r401 previously that I had some lock ups when trying to browse a folder/directory for whatever reason, but when browsing the root level was able to do just fine. The crash seemed to happen when trying to go one level deeper into a folder. I haven't had a chance to try r416 and report back just yet, but I did also see someone else mention something very similar a few pages back. I actually had to go back to using r382 (just a random version I picked that didn't seem to exhibit this behavior, same with r369 in my testing but that is a much older build).
Can you let me know if you have a BBA, or when it does crash, does it just hang or does it throw an exception screen? If it throws an exception screen please attach a screenshot of it. If you have a known case that consistently crashes Swiss maybe send me a private message with a dump of the directory structure on the problematic SD card.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:51 am

emu_kidid wrote:
ochentay4 wrote:Hey everyone, how to do In Game Reset (IGR) with latest r401? I currently use Poke Hack, which loads Swiss from Memory Card (A) and loads its config from SDGeck on (B). I want to try games and homebrew and go back to Swiss instead of doing all the exploit again.
Thanks!
Love this forum!!!
Use r416, set In Game Reset to "Reboot" because that is the only type implemented for now. The reboot combination is R+Z+B+D-Pad Down.
boktai1000 wrote: I do have one more question for anyone here, recently I've noticed on r401 previously that I had some lock ups when trying to browse a folder/directory for whatever reason, but when browsing the root level was able to do just fine. The crash seemed to happen when trying to go one level deeper into a folder. I haven't had a chance to try r416 and report back just yet, but I did also see someone else mention something very similar a few pages back. I actually had to go back to using r382 (just a random version I picked that didn't seem to exhibit this behavior, same with r369 in my testing but that is a much older build).
Can you let me know if you have a BBA, or when it does crash, does it just hang or does it throw an exception screen? If it throws an exception screen please attach a screenshot of it. If you have a known case that consistently crashes Swiss maybe send me a private message with a dump of the directory structure on the problematic SD card.

I actually do have a BBA connected - there is no exception screen, it just locks up with the last state of SWISS shown and is frozen to any sort of input that requires me to physically get up and reset. So it looks like it's just in the menu like normal, with the directory highlighted that I wanted to go into, except frozen.

I'll see if I can reproduce it and let you know - usually the crash was when trying to go into my games folder which I previously had named "aGames" for sorting alphabetically at the top, and also when I named it "games" all lowercase I think it locked too. I can get exact structure breakdown to you via a PM if I reproduce.
ochentay4

Post by ochentay4 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:09 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Thanks!
Love this forum!!!
You just released it :)
"Reboot" its just a reboot or it goes to Swiss Menu?
Thanks for the great support.

Also, this should be on the wiki: "The reboot combination is R+Z+B+D-Pad Down"
My setup:
Nintendo Gamecube PAL + Game Boy Player + Pokémon Colosseum PAL (for Exploit) + Memcard 64(A) + SDGecko4GB(B)
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:25 am

I've encountered a different problem, possible due to my misunderstanding of how boot.dol autolaunch is supposed to work.

For example, I attempted to place the Snes9x GX boot.dol in the root of my SD card, but received this screen on boot with r416.

I need to do more testing, but just had an opportunity to post it (an image of it is attached to my post). It's a green screen partially overlayed over SWISS, and is completely crashed / doesn't allow me to interact.

I am going to come back to the folder freezing shortly and attempt to get more data regarding that, and will probably edit my posts to make the information laid out more concise for each issue.
Attachments
IMG_20170730_195900 - Copy.jpg
(43.31 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Last edited by boktai1000 on Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:26 am

ochentay4 wrote: "Reboot" its just a reboot or it goes to Swiss Menu?

Also, this should be on the wiki: "The reboot combination is R+Z+B+D-Pad Down"
Reboot is just a hard reboot for now, getting it to load Swiss or a DOL of your choosing will be slightly more difficult and is still a work in progress.

Also, the wiki is for everyone to edit, register and have at it ;)
boktai1000 wrote: I actually do have a BBA connected - there is no exception screen, it just locks up with the last state of SWISS shown and is frozen to any sort of input that requires me to physically get up and reset. So it looks like it's just in the menu like normal, with the directory highlighted that I wanted to go into, except frozen.

I'll see if I can reproduce it and let you know - usually the crash was when trying to go into my games folder which I previously had named "aGames" for sorting alphabetically at the top, and also when I named it "games" all lowercase I think it locked too. I can get exact structure breakdown to you via a PM if I reproduce.
The issue where Swiss hangs is because the BBA is trying to initialise at the same time as you're trying to read from SD card. Wait 10-15 seconds before attempting to browse your SD card and I believe you won't experience any issues with browsing it. I might just have the BBA initialisation block Swiss at startup (and make it optional - off by default).

Edit: Grab the latest release