Replacing XenoShell With Swiss?

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
Slex989

Replacing XenoShell With Swiss?

Post by Slex989 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:07 pm

I was wondering about this since i recently ordered a xenogc. Is this possible to do anyway? (Even using an rpi as a xenogc?) I know the software of other chips can be overwritten as well so i was wondering about this. Any help would be aprreciated! Thanks in advance :3
novenary

Re: Replacing XenoShell With Swiss?

Post by novenary » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 am

Without upgrading the hardware (pushing the cost of the modchip much higher than what you find xenos for nowadays) that'd be pretty hard, the flash in the atmega8 is way too small to fit an interesting payload, even iplboot.
It might be possible to write a tiny bootstrap that works similarly to the action replay hack, and you could use a raspberry pi, but I don't have mine hooked up to my GC anymore as I have a qoob pro.
I have attached an experimental rpi build for you to try, I have no idea whether it works or not, but it's worth checking out. If it does, I'll set up a proper infrastructure for building xenopie firmwares. Note that this will currently only work with the original raspberry pi A/B/A+/B+ and zero/zero w, as I've never updated it for the newer SoCs on the pi 2 and 3.
Either way it's probably easier to burn one Swiss DVD and then use the boot.dol feature for updates.
Attachments
xenopie_iplboot.zip
(691.7 KiB) Downloaded 295 times
Slex989

Post by Slex989 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:09 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Without upgrading the hardware (pushing the cost of the modchip much higher than what you find xenos for nowadays) that'd be pretty hard, the flash in the atmega8 is way too small to fit an interesting payload, even iplboot.
It might be possible to write a tiny bootstrap that works similarly to the action replay hack, and you could use a raspberry pi, but I don't have mine hooked up to my GC anymore as I have a qoob pro.
I have attached an experimental rpi build for you to try, I have no idea whether it works or not, but it's worth checking out. If it does, I'll set up a proper infrastructure for building xenopie firmwares. Note that this will currently only work with the original raspberry pi A/B/A+/B+ and zero/zero w, as I've never updated it for the newer SoCs on the pi 2 and 3.
Either way it's probably easier to burn one Swiss DVD and then use the boot.dol feature for updates.
would i be able to install something similar to brosexec onto the xenogc that points it to the sd card in the sd gecko and loads autoexec.dol? i think brosexec is a pretty small payload, but im notn sure how itsdol loader works when pointing to the sd gecko to load payload for size reasons is.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Sep 04, 2017 7:16 pm

As long as it uses libogc, it's not gonna fit, even compressed. That's why I said something like the Action Replay SDload bootstrap would have to be written (a new one as the AR version only supports non HC cards afaik, or updating that to have actual support). The atmega8 has 8KB of flash, and the 328 which is almost a drop-in replacement has 32 which is already much more comfortable to work with. Like I said though, it's not really worth the effort, as you only need to burn one Swiss DVD. There is no benefit other than saving money (pennies) on a mini DVD.
Slex989

Post by Slex989 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:42 pm

Itd be awesome if someone could build a simple dol bootstrap for it. Im probably never going to use xenoshell, and reburning swiss every time theres an update is redundant.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 pm

Dude, do you even read what I'm writing? I said it twice already, you only need to burn one swiss dvd, then you can put any future update as boot.dol on your SD card and it will pick it up.
Slex989

Post by Slex989 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 11:24 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Dude, do you even read what I'm writing? I said it twice already, you only need to burn one swiss dvd, then you can put any future update as boot.dol on your SD card and it will pick it up.
Oooh nice i didnt know this was possible :3