Swiss feature requests

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)

Which feature would you most like to see included in the future?

Virtual Memory Card support, mount .GCI saves and save to them instead of a real memory card.
38%
SMB support for loading games off a network.
25%
In-game reset, return to the swiss menu at any point.
35%
In-game memory dump, dump the entire ram contents to SD or HDD.
1%
Basic In-game value searcher / debugger, pause gameplay and display a osd over the game screen for searching for values, think gs pro on the n64 or http://cheaters-lounge.net/index.php?p=19
1%

Total votes: 104
kevstah2004

Swiss feature requests

Post by kevstah2004 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:03 am

Select only one, don't see your feature here then put it in your post it an i'll add it to the poll.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Swiss feature requests

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:09 am

- Virtual Memory Card support, mount .GCI saves and save to them instead of a real memory card.
Doable - I'd say I'd need about 3 months straight for this one

- SMB support for loading games off a network.
^^ See above

- In-game reset, return to the swiss menu at any point.
Quite doable (take me about 2 weeks)

- In-game memory dump, dump the entire ram contents to SD or HDD.
Doable too (about 2 months - I'd need to create assembly code to write to SD/HDD)

- Basic In-game value searcher / debugger, pause gameplay and display a osd over the game screen for searching for values, think gs pro on the n64 or http://cheaters-lounge.net/index.php?p=19
I'd rather just put in Ocarina support
WiiPower

Post by WiiPower » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 am

About Ocarina, maybe integrate both engines? Most work for Ocarina support should be the GUI i guess.
Burbruee

Post by Burbruee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:26 am

I'd say in-game reset, I know some people still doesn't have modchips and rebooting to swiss can take minutes. Sounds like it requires less work than all the other options as well. Virtual Memory Card would be really awesome too, but for now I'll settle with doing backups of my memory card to SD and transfering saves back and forth between my computer and GC.

Something I was thinking about though.. maybe like a "Swiss-GC Dol Booter" a separate tiny application. Just a small dol-loading application, similar to SDload. But supporting IDE-EXI (and SDHC?) and small enough to fit as a plugin to the old ViperGC. Think about it? ^^
Last edited by Burbruee on Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:28 am

emu_kidid wrote: - Virtual Memory Card support, mount .GCI saves and save to them instead of a real memory card.
Doable - I'd say I'd need about 3 months straight for this one
SDML / SD Gecko users who also use IDE EXI don't have a free memory card slot, so the SD Gecko has to be removed and replaced with a memory card once swiss has loaded.
Also it's a pain switching them around because said game doesn't save to that slot some use slot A whilst others use slot B. With previous sd-boot versions I haven't tested swiss much you also had to place the memory card in after the game had reached the title menu or you'd be granted with a error screen, re remake irc.
emu_kidid wrote: - In-game reset, return to the swiss menu at any point.
You had it in either sd-boot v0.2 or v0.3 but later removed, buggy?
emu_kidid wrote: - Basic In-game value searcher / debugger, pause gameplay and display a osd over the game screen for searching for values, think gs pro on the n64 or http://cheaters-lounge.net/index.php?p=19
I'd rather just put in Ocarina support
What's this Ocarina you keep bringing up, Zelda :? the only hacking software I know for GC and Wii is WiiRd, is Ocarina some software for making codes on the GC or Wii side you don't need a computer?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:02 am

Burbruee wrote:Something I was thinking about though.. maybe like a "Swiss-GC Dol Booter" a separate tiny application. Just a small dol-loading application, similar to SDload. But supporting IDE-EXI (and SDHC?) and small enough to fit as a plugin to the old ViperGC. Think about it? ^^
That's what I'm planning.
kevstah2004 wrote:
emu_kidid wrote: - In-game reset, return to the swiss menu at any point.
You had it in either sd-boot v0.2 or v0.3 but later removed, buggy?
Yes, quite buggy it was. I'll fix it now :)
safefortheozone

Post by safefortheozone » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:09 am

I'd love to see an in-game reset; swapping discs and SD cards all the time is getting to be a pain. I would also love to see booting Swiss directly from the memory card (like Free-Mcboot on the PS2). I believe emu_kidid said something about that in the main Swiss thread.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:44 am

an ipl exploit from a memory card has been a dream for a while, but I haven't spent enough time/effort on it - was hoping someone else would in due time but it never happened :p
tq03q9i

Post by tq03q9i » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:47 am

my feature request is:(very little)
no-disc when swiss running a game,look like that playstation2's homebrew software HDloader :mrgreen:
Cubelover

Post by Cubelover » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:30 am

Hm...how about support for wiitdb.com gamecube covers? :D
ct_the_1

Post by ct_the_1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:08 am

emu_kidid wrote:
Burbruee wrote:Something I was thinking about though.. maybe like a "Swiss-GC Dol Booter" a separate tiny application. Just a small dol-loading application, similar to SDload. But supporting IDE-EXI (and SDHC?) and small enough to fit as a plugin to the old ViperGC. Think about it? ^^
Yeah, I would definitely love that! And all ViperGC non-extreme users probably too!

To be honest, I already tried to create a minimal version of swiss out of the r29 code basis.
As it is open source I removed everything DVD-related, iso/gcm-related, patching.. and so on.
I also removed the images and some other small, not needed things.
Now it only supports dol-booting off hdd and sd(hc). not more.
The uncompressed dol is now ~100kb, regrettably far too big.
I think it is difficult to build such small apllication on top of libogc.
ct_the_1 (currently very busy and rarely online)

emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:46 pm

Oh I had it down to 40kb with nothing but images removed - it's tricky though :)
liquitt

Post by liquitt » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:16 pm

i'd really love that! my main gc has a vipergc and i am using 2 SD cards right now because sdload can't handle FAT32 and so on and on...
please search before you ask - a lot has been discussed already!
(or use google with "site:gc-forever.com *term*")
http://is.gd/MDmZcr

we also have a wiki filled with knowledge
http://is.gd/dX58Rm
ct_the_1

Post by ct_the_1 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:56 pm

emu_kidid wrote:Oh I had it down to 40kb with nothing but images removed - it's tricky though :)
Oh, that sounds great!

EDIT: question: 40 kb compressed with dollz or uncompressed ?
ct_the_1 (currently very busy and rarely online)

Burbruee

Post by Burbruee » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:04 pm

emu_kidid wrote:
Great! Can you also add a configuration option for shortcuts so we can set up auto-loading of our favorite DOLs? Say you hold a button like "A", "B", "X", "Y", "L" or "R" when booting and it will autoboot the dol you have set up to that shortcut. (idea from Avalaunch on original Xbox)
This could be written and read from an .ini file from your device where you also select SDHC/IDE-EXI and slot and configured manually if a graphical browser makes the final dol too large.
yamaharacer

Post by yamaharacer » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:13 pm

swiss with integrated ftp support would be great just like xexmenu on the xbox 360.
sm4rty

Post by sm4rty » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:09 pm

yes this would be great, so you can upload the games over FTP directly to your hdd connected with the ide-exi thingy
Ardiloso

Post by Ardiloso » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:15 pm

I want ALL these features. :lol:
kevstah2004

Post by kevstah2004 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:29 am

FTP TCP is slow that's why I mentioned SMB as it uses UDP.
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:58 am

sm4rty wrote:yes this would be great, so you can upload the games over FTP directly to your hdd connected with the ide-exi thingy
I gotta say that although using an FTP server to copy games to hdd would be possible, it'd be slow as hell since the IDE-EXI still operates in PIO mode. It's so much quicker to just unhook your hdd and copy files to it directly.

EDIT - Streaming games over network is another matter entirely, however. If it was fast and stable then I'd be the first one to do it.

EDIT 2 - on the topic of network streaming, I seem to remember that it used to be buggy and slow. If you did implement it, emu_kidid, is it possible the make it fast and stable?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:22 am

doktor_krotch, it's taken me so many years to get SD worked out so I'd rather not fumble around now and start working on something else..
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:33 am

NP bro. I bet network streaming would break the only other reason I have a BBA - 8 player mario kart, amiritre?

I just read you're looking at DMA on the IDE-EXI, that would be freakin awesome since I guess that it would go a long way in eliminating audio stutter in some games?
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:56 am

What would be the max. bandwith rate for a BBA?

Would it be a bottleneck when loading etc?
When I get some time on my hands, I'm willing to experiment a bit.
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
doktor_krotch

Post by doktor_krotch » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:52 am

iirc, back in the day loaders were limited by protocol overhead and they could only get the bba to work at 10Mbps. I'm not sure if that's changed. Also, EXI bus = 27Mbps (?) so there's your theoretical maximum.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 12:32 pm

they made it work at 100mbps but they had to "time" the PC side to not overload the GC - and this timing was never made 100% reliable. As I recall only one NIC was good enough for it too.