Swiss Nightly Build

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
boktai1000

Re: Swiss Nightly Build

Post by boktai1000 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:12 pm

Andross89 wrote:
boktai1000 wrote:
Nada unfortunately. Maybe this will help troubleshoot, but occasionally when I look at the swiss .dol on my SD Card, it will report 0kb in Windows... like something is corrupting it? My best guess is that something with SWISS is corrupting the SD Cards contents... I've tried two different SD Geckos (Action Replay and the grey looking one).
I think it must be your SD card. Have you tried filling it with multiple files and verifying that everything was recorded correctly? Depending on the size of the card, it can be a quick test. So far, the latest version of Swiss is working perfectly for me.
I have tested all four of mine and they all passed previously, but I'm not opposed to buying a new SD Card from a legit source if it means not running into this crazy issue. I'm really curious on a proper "SD" (note: not SDHC) card that everyone is working that actually allows them to run Gamecube games, like for example, Smash Bros. That being said - what "SD" card is everyone using exactly, and do you have a link to purchase it still or where it came from? Thanks!
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:06 pm

boktai1000 wrote: I have tested all four of mine and they all passed previously, but I'm not opposed to buying a new SD Card from a legit source if it means not running into this crazy issue. I'm really curious on a proper "SD" (note: not SDHC) card that everyone is working that actually allows them to run Gamecube games, like for example, Smash Bros. That being said - what "SD" card is everyone using exactly, and do you have a link to purchase it still or where it came from? Thanks!
I have 3 micro SD Sandisk (4/4/128). The first one was not original and only ran 10 ~ 15 of all my games. The other 2 worked without problems. It should not be difficult for you to buy a 4GB and try to solve the problem. I live in Brazil. I bought it here.

I needed to download another version of Smash Bros. I think v1.02.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:39 pm

Andross89 wrote:
boktai1000 wrote: I have tested all four of mine and they all passed previously, but I'm not opposed to buying a new SD Card from a legit source if it means not running into this crazy issue. I'm really curious on a proper "SD" (note: not SDHC) card that everyone is working that actually allows them to run Gamecube games, like for example, Smash Bros. That being said - what "SD" card is everyone using exactly, and do you have a link to purchase it still or where it came from? Thanks!
I have 3 micro SD Sandisk (4/4/128). The first one was not original and only ran 10 ~ 15 of all my games. The other 2 worked without problems. It should not be difficult for you to buy a 4GB and try to solve the problem. I live in Brazil. I bought it here.

I needed to download another version of Smash Bros. I think v1.02.
While I would normally agree with you, I've been trying just that (I've actually got a couple microSD to SD adapters as well - and those aren't working for me either). Two 4GB non-SDHC cards, and then two different SanDisk for Wii 2GB cards. None of them work. I wouldn't essentially be begging if I wasn't at wits end with this lol, I'm curious if anyone could tell me for example what model # card they are using, and if it's one that was purchased recently, maybe a link to the web page. I've spent around $50 on cards now and haven't had any such luck so I'd rather just copy and follow what someone else is doing. Hope that makes sense

(Also I am using 1.02 of Smash Bros - and checked to make sure the Checksum matches for validation - it does)
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:01 pm

boktai1000 wrote: While I would normally agree with you, I've been trying just that (I've actually got a couple microSD to SD adapters as well - and those aren't working for me either). Two 4GB non-SDHC cards, and then two different SanDisk for Wii 2GB cards. None of them work. I wouldn't essentially be begging if I wasn't at wits end with this lol, I'm curious if anyone could tell me for example what model # card they are using, and if it's one that was purchased recently, maybe a link to the web page. I've spent around $50 on cards now and haven't had any such luck so I'd rather just copy and follow what someone else is doing. Hope that makes sense

(Also I am using 1.02 of Smash Bros - and checked to make sure the Checksum matches for validation - it does)
Have you tried formatting them at 8192 bytes or larger as possible? It would be the only difference between us.
Seraphic

Post by Seraphic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:11 pm

Would something like this work for storing ISOs? Or could someone recommend a better one?
https://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Ultra-UH ... B0143IIP4W

I just tried to boot an ISO of F-Zero GX using my 2GB card that I use to boot SWISS/GBI but it locked up at the title screen.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:50 am

Andross89 wrote:
boktai1000 wrote: While I would normally agree with you, I've been trying just that (I've actually got a couple microSD to SD adapters as well - and those aren't working for me either). Two 4GB non-SDHC cards, and then two different SanDisk for Wii 2GB cards. None of them work. I wouldn't essentially be begging if I wasn't at wits end with this lol, I'm curious if anyone could tell me for example what model # card they are using, and if it's one that was purchased recently, maybe a link to the web page. I've spent around $50 on cards now and haven't had any such luck so I'd rather just copy and follow what someone else is doing. Hope that makes sense

Have you tried formatting them at 8192 bytes or larger as possible? It would be the only difference between us.
Are you formatting FAT or FAT32 - FAT32 I assume? I'll try 8192 bytes and report back.

Edit/Update: Action Replay doesn't even detect the card and let me launch it when its formatted FAT32 w/ 8192 bytes
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:32 am

boktai1000 wrote: Action Replay doesn't even detect the card and let me launch it when its formatted FAT32 w/ 8192 bytes
I'm using Fat32 / 8192 bytes on 4GB cards. On the 128GB card, the value is higher but I can not remember which one. I can not help you any more. One could say whether this detail is making the difference or not. Good luck.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:20 pm

Andross89 wrote:
boktai1000 wrote: Action Replay doesn't even detect the card and let me launch it when its formatted FAT32 w/ 8192 bytes
I'm using Fat32 / 8192 bytes on 4GB cards. On the 128GB card, the value is higher but I can not remember which one. I can not help you any more. One could say whether this detail is making the difference or not. Good luck.
I wish I knew what was wrong with this configuration. I feel like I've tried every permutation possible to no avail. I've also seen some folks on reddit running into similar issues recently. Maybe it begs the question on a SWISS Compatibility List update or maybe a Google Sheet that would allow people to live edit / update with their config for others to view?

https://www.gc-forever.com/wiki/index.p ... ility_List probably could use a little lovin'

Possible same issue on reddit - https://www.reddit.com/r/Gamecube/comme ... _app_dols/
Possible same issue on github - https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/152

Another description of what the problem looks like for me - I get a green screen momentarily when launching the games, but then it goes black and stays black with no audio/video. I am using Component Cables.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:09 pm

I forgot to ask: You tried to start the Swiss and then swapped the card for a FAT32 / 8192 with the ISOS. Along with SD Gecko (gray looking one) if you can. Just for curiosity.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:05 pm

Andross89 wrote:
I forgot to ask: You tried to start the Swiss and then swapped the card for a FAT32 / 8192 with the ISOS. Along with SD Gecko (gray looking one) if you can. Just for curiosity.
My apologies on not clarifying, you're good! So my goal here actually is to be able to play a game with the 2GB/4GB SD card that I have inserted without swapping it. Yes I won't be able to hold many games (one or two depending on the game) but there's only two games I might want to play at a time anyways.

Hope this makes sense for my use case - that is what I am trying to troubleshoot and what appears to be an issue for myself, but also at least a couple other members of the community based off of the GitHub link I posted above.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:26 pm

Cluster size is completely irrelevant to Swiss. Use FAT32 always. Also keep in mind that the whole thing is very sensitive to bad cards, and even fancy, expensive cards can fail on some occasions. If you've only tried two cards, you haven't tried enough cards. Get yourself a nice sandisk ultra card, they work well in my experience.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:52 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Cluster size is completely irrelevant to Swiss. Use FAT32 always. Also keep in mind that the whole thing is very sensitive to bad cards, and even fancy, expensive cards can fail on some occasions. If you've only tried two cards, you haven't tried enough cards. Get yourself a nice sandisk ultra card, they work well in my experience.
I'll retry again tonight and report back.

Sidebar - two things.

1) The GitHub page says to use FAT - not FAT32 specifically - https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc

2) I've used four cards actually (2 different SanDisk for Wii 2GB, and 2 TOPRAM 4GB non-SDHC) which boot SWISS. I have one Patriot LX 32GB that boots games. The issue and problem I am trying to solve, is getting games to boot off my SWISS cards (the SanDisk / TOPRAM non-SDHC cards).
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:23 pm

1) Disregard the readme, emukidid didn't review it that well before merging it. It's incomplete and full of misinformation.

2) Small cards are much more likely to fail because they're often slow/low quality for maximal cost savings, Patriot is also a cheap brand as far as I'm aware. Like I said, try one of the big brands like SanDisk Ultra or Samsung Evo.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:36 pm

Streetwalker wrote:1) Disregard the readme, emukidid didn't review it that well before merging it. It's incomplete and full of misinformation.

2) Small cards are much more likely to fail because they're often slow/low quality for maximal cost savings, Patriot is also a cheap brand as far as I'm aware. Like I said, try one of the big brands like SanDisk Ultra or Samsung Evo.
The Patriot actually works well and was chosen based on reports of it working from other community members!

But what you are discussing actually isn't the problem that I am trying to diagnose / resolve right now - and I think some of what I was trying to explain got lost in translation / conversation. Let me start again and maybe you'll have some ideas/tips.

The problem here - is that I am unable to boot Gamecube games off my SWISS boot SD Card (2GB or 4GB card). My plan is to store 1-2 GameCube Games, and then probably some Homebrew/Emulation on the card and not have to swap cards to play games - as the game I am interested in playing will be on the card already inserted. The compatibility in question isn't really with other higher quality cards, it is with the non-SDHC card that I use to start SWISS and store games/homebrew. I am trying to diagnose to see what exactly is wrong here as there isn't any clear information or debugging I can to do to determine why exactly it is failing - or even if there are known good / working 2GB-GB cards that someone can vouch for that has compatibiltiy with games.

I hope this makes a bit more sense - I definitely appreciate you taking time out of your day to help me figure this out. I hope that with providing some more background information on the issue, as well as my intentions / goal I can get to the bottom of it - I am totally fine with buying a new 2GB or 4GB SD Card as long as it's one someone can vouch for compatibility wise, as I've already tested 4 SD Cards as well as some smaller microSD to SD adapters to no avail - I'd like to know Model/SKU # of a known working/good card at this point.

Thanks! :D
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Oh, SD media launcher. I can't really help you much with that, all I can suggest is that you get a xenogc chip and use a Swiss disc to boot instead. It's hard to find good small cards anymore, let alone non-HC.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:14 pm

Streetwalker wrote:Oh, SD media launcher. I can't really help you much with that, all I can suggest is that you get a xenogc chip and use a Swiss disc to boot instead. It's hard to find good small cards anymore, let alone non-HC.
I agree that does sound like a better solution as far as SWISS is concerned but there are benefits (at least to me) with having an unmodded configuration, as well as being able to take the SD Media Launcher + Action Replay disc to any GameCube, plug and play, and be good to go.

Regardless, I am still interested in going down the path of making SD Media Launcher work and finding a solution, as there appears to be a problem that can be solved.

I've linked it before as well but I will repost it here - I'm not the open who opened the issue on GitHub but I did comment on it, and it is almost certainly related to this issue - at least at first glance. https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/152
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:17 pm

Support for non-HC cards might actually be broken, I don't even have one to test with, and I don't think emu_kidid ever tests it either.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:27 am

Streetwalker wrote:Support for non-HC cards might actually be broken, I don't even have one to test with, and I don't think emu_kidid ever tests it either.
That is what I am guessing as well, as I'm able to use my setup with actual SDHC cards even ones of questionable nature with success. I'm willing to help debug / test to help get non-HC cards working again, but I'm not sure what may need to be done. If there's any sort of logging, debugging, or the like I can do to help get information I would gladly test on my end and report the results back.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Oct 05, 2017 2:38 am

I have a non SDHC card I can test with the latest build from github & SDML, I'll see what I can find.
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 pm

emu_kidid wrote:I have a non SDHC card I can test with the latest build from github & SDML, I'll see what I can find.
Thank you emu_kidid, I know it's probably going out of your way a bit but I greatly appreciate it. If there's any testing I can do on my end as well, test versions, configuration settings, logs, etc let me know and I will gladly help in whatever way I can! Thanks again
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 1:42 am

Are there any older versions I can test or versions you may suspect that would be worth testing where some changes may not have been implemented to cause issues? Thanks!
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:26 pm

Been a bit and don't mean to pester (I'm sorry for my annoyance, but it's definitely important to me!) just wanted to see if you had an update or any ideas for me if you or anyone else has had a chance to think about it. Thanks!
boktai1000

Post by boktai1000 » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:32 pm

I was able to get my hands on an older version of SWISS 0.3 (as well as a couple other older releases, 0.1 r47 and 0.2 r62) and can confirm that I was able to get games to load properly off a 2GB SD Card.

Unfortunately, it's one of the older SWISS 0.3 releases (r174), and I don't exactly know at one point the compatibility broke. There's also some other issues with the release in general, so I'm trying to get my hands on some newer SWISS 0.3 releases / older SWISS 0.4 releases so I can pinpoint exactly at one point the issue broke.

I've had correspondence with @paulness on this GitHub issue to receive this older version from the GitHub post here - https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/152

His theory on the issue was this- "I suspect it was before the last big overall GameCube library update."

When and what the issue is remains to be seen though, for now I'm trying to get my hands on some other versions to try. Thought I'd update you on the problem, as it's still ongoing.
Nukatha

Post by Nukatha » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:20 am

Finally starting Tales of Symphonia, and realized that Namco didn't include 480p support in the game for some reason. Well, I've got my Component Cables for a reason, so I turn to Swiss for that high-res goodness (And also force Widescreen because "Why not?")

Using Swiss r431, I see the option to force 960i.
What exactly does this do (or try to do)?
640x960 interlaced?

It honestly doesn't look any different from normal to me, well, it is rather green. (Also, I'm not sure if the standard Widescreen force works on Tales either).
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Dec 04, 2017 8:22 am

You probably won't be able to view that video mode properly without a CRT or a capture device. Stick to 480p.