Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Diminuendo

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:53 am

wierd question; is the gbi be able to output 360p?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:10 am

I don't have anything to test 23 kHz horizontal scan with, so no.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 2:38 am

ok, thanks. what would you need to test that?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:36 am

If you need to ask, you wouldn't be able to use it.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:07 am

I just acquired a 4k TV that integer scales.

My intention was to use 360p with the gbi, double it to 720p using the OSSC, and have my tv integer scale the 720p to 4k.

As the GBAs resolution would fill more of the screen in 360p than 240p, 360p is preferred.

the request for "what would you need?" was an offer to possibly donate to make it happen, depending on price.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:40 pm

@Extrems: Thank you very much for all your hard work with GBI. It's very impressive work. Having said that, I'm having a little problem with getting .cli files to work. At first I thought it might have to do with your repeated comments about ending with a newline, but using gbi.cli.example as a base and it appears I'm doing things right (verifying with a hexeditor on the \n). I've uploaded a test bundle (with the latest gbi.dol, gbi.cli, boot.dol, and the output gbi.gci) which should rotate the display 180 (so it's really obvious if it's working or not). Here's the cli I'm using:

Code: Select all

--aspect=3:2
--zoom=2.5
--filter=scale2xex
--output-gamma=1.7
--rotate=180
--no-osd
--no-enhance
I'm using SSBM to actually load this since I don't have an SDLoader. Anything obvious I'm doing wrong?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:12 pm

I see nothing wrong. I guess I broke something?

Oh my god, I'm retarded. This could've never worked with Home Bros.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:24 am

If there's anything I can do to help as far as testing goes, especially if it involves figuring a way to get cmdline args working, please let me know. :)
cynerp_nk

Post by cynerp_nk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:26 am

hi extrems, thank you so much for creating this wonderful piece of software!! it's got to be my favorite piece of homebrew of all time.

i'm sorry if this question is bothersome, but i've had some trouble getting the custom button mappings to work when launching GBI-LL thru swiss. specifically scheme C. i'm using a raphnet snes adapter and a stock snes controller. in game with scheme C selected, R in game is mapped to A on the controller, which leaves R on the controller mapped to L in game. i dont really care about what the A button does, but that leaves me with both of my shoulder buttons functioning as L in game.

i've tested a hori super gameboy controller, another stock snes controller, and several stock gamecube controllers but they all maintain the same problem, so i don't think it's an issue with my controllers or my adapter. i followed this video and his controller seems to have all the inputs mapped correctly. i tried using the same version of swiss he was using at the time of the video, as well as the very latest version as of this posting, but no luck. i'm pretty sure all of my files are ordered on my sd card correctly but i'll provide an image of the directory anyway.

thanks so much in advance!

[edit: i have no idea why that image uploaded so huge, sorry for that :oops: ]
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:02 pm

cynerp_nk wrote:i'm sorry if this question is bothersome, but i've had some trouble getting the custom button mappings to work when launching GBI-LL thru swiss. specifically scheme C. i'm using a raphnet snes adapter and a stock snes controller. in game with scheme C selected, R in game is mapped to A on the controller, which leaves R on the controller mapped to L in game. i dont really care about what the A button does, but that leaves me with both of my shoulder buttons functioning as L in game.
It's working as described in the OP.
cynerp_nk wrote:i've tested a hori super gameboy controller, another stock snes controller, and several stock gamecube controllers but they all maintain the same problem, so i don't think it's an issue with my controllers or my adapter. i followed this video and his controller seems to have all the inputs mapped correctly. i tried using the same version of swiss he was using at the time of the video, as well as the very latest version as of this posting, but no luck. i'm pretty sure all of my files are ordered on my sd card correctly but i'll provide an image of the directory anyway.
This video is from before it got adapted for Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2.
cynerp_nk

Post by cynerp_nk » Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:18 pm

Extrems wrote:
cynerp_nk wrote:i'm sorry if this question is bothersome, but i've had some trouble getting the custom button mappings to work when launching GBI-LL thru swiss. specifically scheme C. i'm using a raphnet snes adapter and a stock snes controller. in game with scheme C selected, R in game is mapped to A on the controller, which leaves R on the controller mapped to L in game. i dont really care about what the A button does, but that leaves me with both of my shoulder buttons functioning as L in game.
It's working as described in the OP.
cynerp_nk wrote:i've tested a hori super gameboy controller, another stock snes controller, and several stock gamecube controllers but they all maintain the same problem, so i don't think it's an issue with my controllers or my adapter. i followed this video and his controller seems to have all the inputs mapped correctly. i tried using the same version of swiss he was using at the time of the video, as well as the very latest version as of this posting, but no luck. i'm pretty sure all of my files are ordered on my sd card correctly but i'll provide an image of the directory anyway.
This video is from before it got adapted for Super Mario World: Super Mario Advance 2.
oh i didn't notice that, i apologize. is there some kind of way i can edit the file to behave like how it previously did at the time of that video? or is there a link somewhere to the old version of the file?
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:32 am

Having found out that Home Bros. doesn't support cmdline options (and not wanting to tie my SSBM disc), I ended up getting 007: Agent Under Fire and can confirm that Exploit Under Fire does work with cmdline options. Maybe I'll even play 007: Agent Under Fire. :)

One thing that does confuse me, though, is the zoom factors. 2.5x seems to just barely fit in the screen. The render backend seems to be 720x486, so wouldn't 3x be a near perfect fit? IS that just an artifact of overscan? I imagine my setup has something to do with (although others seem to report similar results) of AV->HDMI->VGA converters. *shrug* In any case, my current config that works reasonable well is:

Code: Select all

--zoom=2.5
--offset=3:2
--matrix=nds
--filter=scale2xex
--output-gamma=1.7
--no-osd
--no-enhance
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:47 am

The resolution doesn't equal to aspect ratio. In 4:3, you'd touch the sides at 2.66x.
6arm79

Post by 6arm79 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:30 pm

Am I the only one who misses the audio low pass filter used in the original GBA hardware? I may have sensitive ears, but some games like Sword of Mana have so much high pitch noise when played on GBI that I actually returned to using the original GBP Startup Disc. I realize that's not a feature you care for, but some of us would use it if it was an option. I don't want to seem like I'm just complaining lol, overall GBI is a great piece of software that I still use for most games.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:48 pm

Have you tried using the headphone output on a real GBA? There's even more high frequency noise.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Wed Jan 24, 2018 4:29 pm

So, I finally got an SD Gecko clone and have been toying around with the GBA LL DCP options. So far I've found a few issues which may be because I'm doing something stupid, my setup, or whatever. In any case, my setup is a 1280x1024 native resolution 17" LCD computer monitor with an AV->HDMI->VGA converter chain, so I already known the color, aspect ratio, and cropping is likely to be off to some degree no matter what I do. Having said that:

Aspect ratios 4:3, and 3:2 don't seem to work with GBA LL. Is this a known thing or something to do with my setup? From my end, it looks like it's setting the scan timing off or the video resolution wrong. I've tried forcing NTSC, 480i60 in options and it has no effect.

Setting scalar to bilinear with aspect ratio 1:1 seems to crop off the left/right sides a bit. With scalar set to default (nearest) and aspect ratio 1:1, the right side gets cropped off a little, but that's possibly my converter doing it.

I've tried out the various filters and most the luts and most of the combinations seem too bright and browns/greys are a bit off. I known my av->hdmi actually makes stuff darker (or maybe higher contrast), so I don't expect I'll get it just right. And, of course, getting LCD monitors perfect may be impossible just based on the quality of the monitor. Should I presume that the NDS lut, for example, was tested against multiple games on nearest scaler on default zoom on a high quality LCD against an NDS? That's more a question of curiosity, since I think I'll just keep toying around until I find something that seems to work well on my end since, admittedly, my whole setup is quite a mess when it comes to maintaining color accuracy.

Regardless, thanks again, Exterms for all the work. It's very nice to be able to at least attempt to get an accurate portrayal of the GBA on my LCD monitor instead of being left to devices to some default that's wrong for my setup.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Jan 24, 2018 5:16 pm

kuwanger wrote:Aspect ratios 4:3, and 3:2 don't seem to work with GBA LL. Is this a known thing or something to do with my setup? From my end, it looks like it's setting the scan timing off or the video resolution wrong.
Because it has a different meaning. You're setting the pixel aspect ratio, not the display aspect ratio.
kuwanger wrote:I've tried forcing NTSC, 480i60 in options and it has no effect.
You wouldn't notice a difference with your display chain.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:45 pm

• Updated color matrices by Pokefan531.
  • Improved Game Boy Player driver.
For low latency version:
  • Updated LUTs by Pokefan531.
  • Improved Game Boy Player driver.
  • Changed default component video modes.
  • Tweaked control type C.
For ultra-low latency version:
  • Improved component video DAC oversampling.
LDigital82

Post by LDigital82 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi

I am having the following issue

ULL there are I ntermittent issues with a sort of screen tearing/pixel lag which comes and goes while scrolling. This appears on my bvm and ossc. Because of this I want to use the LL or full version which brings me to my main issue. Almost as soon as I boot either gbi or gbi ll I get a black screen machine code error with lots of hexidecimal. It almost looks like something in DOS. Pressing a button on this screen resets the GameCube.
I have tried 2 different players and the same happens for both. I have also tried redownloading the software, reformatting card etc. The only thing I haven’t tried is a different GameCube to test as I don’t have another

Please help!

I will try take a screenshot and post if that helps
mantixero

Post by mantixero » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:55 pm

Are you pairing an interlaced mode with --format=custom? That's one way to get an error screen.
LDigital82

Post by LDigital82 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 7:57 pm

I don’t think so, it’s just default unzipped to a sd card root and loaded through datel action replay and the sd card reader I’m not making any adjustments. It does show the gba splash for a split second before crashing though
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:02 pm

If you mean Machine Check, your CPU has a defect in its L2 cache.
LDigital82

Post by LDigital82 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:18 pm

Dodgy unit then? Damn I’ll have get another

Thanks for the response
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:08 pm

• Disabled machine checks.
For low latency version:
  • Added Framemeister build due to lack of maintenance.
  • Added 3D LUT auto-generation.
  • Added GBR/BGR LUT order support.
  • Added per-field gamma correction control.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:32 am

Not sure if this is off-topic or not, but I wanted to point out my little "demo" (yea, a somewhat poor name) that's really good at pointing out the visual inconsistencies from v-blank/h-blank on emulators, software, etc. You can use left/right to change the height of each RGB bar, up/down to change the movement rate of each bar, select to start/stop the color cycling, and start to reset the color cycle. I actually have a heightmap converter thing to actually use different test images (instead of the default built-in one). In any case, I mention it because there's some interesting patterning when you use this with GBI-LL and GBI. Funny enough, on my setup the magenta wobbles quite strongly with GBI.

demo_mb.gba

PS - Trying a height of x and a move of (+/-)x*3/2 should produce CYM. Such is a good example of where most emulators break.
Last edited by kuwanger on Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.