Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
tueidj

Re: Devolution - Gamecube loader for Wii/Wii U updated to r234

Post by tueidj » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:36 pm

I could not give less of a shit.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:38 pm

tueidj wrote:I could not give less of a shit.
Could you at least answer my question (I'm just looking for a simple "yes" or "no"), or are you saying you couldn't give less about my question itself?
Professorben11

Post by Professorben11 » Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:33 am

Hey tueidj, regarding BBA issues with Double Dash, is there any particular or optimal multicast setting that should be enabled? CCK vs OFDM at a particular rate, specifically?

I'm able to get two Wiis connected to the same wifi network (router status shows both as connected), they seem to be on the same subnet, they just don't identify each other no matter how I poke them, and the best reason I can figure is my router's multicast settings aren't optimal. What particular multicast settings did you have enabled when you connected two Wiis when you initially tested BBA emulation functionality?

EDIT: I also noticed that when one Wii is connected its client name is "Wii" but when two are connected one name is defaulted to that Wii's MAC address. Do Double Dash services recognize each other by client name or is there another way they do it? If the former, maybe they're not recognizing each other on my network because they're not identifying themselves as Double Dash services?
PowerPC

Post by PowerPC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:00 am

Just wanted to post here saying thank you to tueidj for Devolution. Thanks to this Gamecube loader, I can live my childhood dream of experiencing the Gamecube Broadband Adapter in the few games it was compatible with. I don't even care that Devolution requires for an original GC disc, two copies of Mario Kart Double Dash are FAR cheaper than two Broadband Adapters and are a lot easier to find.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:06 am

PowerPC wrote:two copies of Mario Kart Double Dash
Can't you do it with only one copy? I mean, once the disc has been verified, you can eject it and not need it again for that Wii console...
PowerPC

Post by PowerPC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:08 am

I figured it was easier to let Devolution run the game from the disc instead of trying to get the verification+backup thing working.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:16 am

PowerPC wrote:I figured it was easier to let Devolution run the game from the disc instead of trying to get the verification+backup thing working.
Well you don't need any cIOS (the 'c' stands for "crap") stuff to use Devolution with backups. Assuming that the storage device containing Devolution has at least 1.4GB of free space, you just insert your disc, run CleanRip, move the ISO into the "games" folder, launch Devolution, and select your game; once the game is running, remove your disc and enjoy.
PowerPC

Post by PowerPC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:40 am

I might have tried that before, but cleanrip named the resulting rip incorrectly and devolution couldn't see it, or maybe it was USB Loader GX which I prefer out of simplicity. I had to give the rip another name, worked after that. Two original copies is still the easiest and doesn't require hard drives or USB sticks which the Wii can be picky with.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:45 am

PowerPC wrote:maybe it was USB Loader GX
It was - the sample Devolution loader doesn't care about file name.
PowerPC wrote:Two original copies is still the easiest and doesn't require hard drives or USB sticks which the Wii can be picky with.
Devolution doesn't require USB sticks either - you can just use the SD card.
PowerPC

Post by PowerPC » Tue Nov 28, 2017 5:57 am

SD cards aren't any easier to find than USB sticks and hard drives though. Seems silly to be using one of those when you can just put a Double Dash disc into each Wii and start playing in LAN mode.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:41 pm

PowerPC wrote:SD cards aren't any easier to find than USB sticks and hard drives though. Seems silly to be using one of those when you can just put a Double Dash disc into each Wii and start playing in LAN mode.
I'm confused - why not just use the very same SD/USB device that Devolution itself is stored on?

That's why I do not understand why using a disc is supposedly easier - you already have an SD or USB device with Devolution on it plugged into your Wii.
tueidj

Post by tueidj » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:38 pm

It can't run games directly from disc...
PowerPC

Post by PowerPC » Wed Nov 29, 2017 12:03 am

I must be confusing it with some other application then. Devolution BBA version still rules though.
Txukasa

Post by Txukasa » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:57 pm

Is there still work going on with connecting 2 Wii(s) for Mario Kart Double Dash? I'm not super network savy but I am really good at following directions. A list of items I may need to buy (Like network cables, router etc or brand suggestion) would be suggested. I would also greatly appreciated a typed tutorial on how to set it up. I am willing to donate some money for your effort to help this dumb guy. (If that is allowed.)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Wed May 02, 2018 7:14 am

I recently (read: still have over half the warranty remaining) bought a brand new, not refurbished, Wii remote (specifically one of these, though of the "Toad" model which has since sold out and been delisted from the "Color" drop-down menu) from Nintendo's online store, but for some reason, whenever I remove or replace the batteries from that Wii remote, the controller forgets it sync in Devolution.

The thing is, this sync forgetfulness after a battery removal only occurs in Devolution and not in anything else whether it be the Wii Menu, Wii games, the Homebrew channel, USB Loader GX, etc - the controller actually remains synced just fine until I launch Devolution, at which point it simply looses sync until I either re-sync it or even just quit Devolution which causes the controller will regain its sync as if nothing ever happened.

Is this a problem with the controller? With Devolution? Not enough info to know?

If it's with the controller, then I'm not sure I'd be able to get it replaced under warranty as Devolution is literally the only thing I can find that causes an issue, and Nintendo obviously wouldn't accept that as a valid reason for a warranty claim...
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Mon Aug 16, 2021 9:59 pm

Apologies for the grave-dig and double-post, but I was wondering if anyone has insight into whether the latest (final?) version of Devolution implements what raphnet calls "high resolution mode" for the classic controllers for slightly less than 8bit precision rather than the mere 6 and 5bit used normally?: (Devolution is still my go-to for GameCube games due to its ability to use a wired 360 controller as player 2 while players 1 and 3 use a classic controller, not to mention its ability to use a wired 360 controller while running games from a USB hard drive rather than an SD card as I'm forced to use a non-HC 2GB SD card to take advantage of with Excite Truck's built-in custom soundtrack functionality as that game's stock music is... lacking to say the least)
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Thu Aug 26, 2021 9:29 pm

Double apologies for the triple post, but I just found out about Extrems' 480p fix: But unfortunately, it seems that the newest version of Devolution predates the discovery of this 480p fix. There is some hex editing one can do to apply the fix to Devolution's boot.dol file, but sadly neither of the hex values exist in Devolution's loader.bin (the file required for Devolution to work from a USB loader such as USB Loader GX):
blackb0x @ GBATemp wrote:To manually patch the files search for 38 80 00 01 38 60 00 65 and replace it with 38 80 00 03 38 60 00 65

The patch can be applied to other applications too e.g. mGBA, Genesis Plus GX, Wii64 or WiiMC. All you need is a simple hex editor like HxD.
Last edited by Nintendo Maniac 64 on Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 pm

The Devolution Engine doesn't touch the video encoder configuration, so there's no patch needed there. I had asked tueidj about it.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:31 am

Extrems wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:11 pm
The Devolution Engine doesn't touch the video encoder configuration, so there's no patch needed there. I had asked tueidj about it.
Ah, so GameCube games left as-is don't actually need the fix? Didn't realize that!

(also psst, don't suppose you have any insight into whether Devolution uses 8bit classic controller mode or not? I just know that tuidj made a post years and years ago about the 6bit/5bit precision of classic controllers in Devolution, but this was also years before its final release)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 am

The loader that loads the Devolution Engine does need the fix, but nothing beyond that.
Nintendo Maniac 64

Post by Nintendo Maniac 64 » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:09 am

Extrems wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:52 am
The loader that loads the Devolution Engine does need the fix, but nothing beyond that.
Do you mean the sample "boot.dol" file that can be run from HBC rather than the "loader.bin" file used by USB Loader GX or the like?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:17 am

Yes.
Naxil

Post by Naxil » Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:00 pm

changelog?