Qoob Pro still worth it for SWISS?

Chat, Off-topic, Research & Development etc
tcancian

Qoob Pro still worth it for SWISS?

Post by tcancian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi guys, I'm a newbie to GameCube modding, I've only ever installed a XenoGC on my GameCube and I intend on building a setup for playing Game Boy Player with the Game Boy Interface without having to depend on an optical drive. With the release of the GBI and Everdrive X5 the GBP seems like a great setup for playing Game Boy Advance titles, I also happen to own the Hori digital controller. :D

Now that WASP Fusion is hard to find, I've stumbled across the Qoob Pro modchip and I've read I can flash SWISS to its memory and then boot SWISS diskless and read from SDGecko, is that right? Is the modchip still worth it in 2017? The latest build of Nightly SWISS is at 2.15 MB so I think it won't fit on the Qoob Pro? :(
novenary

Re: Qoob Pro still worth it for SWISS?

Post by novenary » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:21 pm

I wrote an IPL for the Qoob Pro that can automatically load a DOL from an SD card, which is available here. Swiss itself can be compressed and packed to be used in the same way, but it's more convenient to be able to update just by copying a file to an SD card.
tcancian

Post by tcancian » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:22 pm

Streetwalker wrote:I wrote an IPL for the Qoob Pro that can automatically load a DOL from an SD card, which is available here. Swiss itself can be compressed and packed to be used in the same way, but it's more convenient to be able to update just by copying a file to an SD card.
I believe that to be exactly what I was on the lookout for. Many thanks!! :D :D
turnerl

Post by turnerl » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:33 am

Hi tcancian, I use a qoobpro in this way very handy with the extra flash mem of the pro.
KirovAir

Post by KirovAir » Tue May 02, 2017 6:47 am

Streetwalker wrote:I wrote an IPL for the Qoob Pro that can automatically load a DOL from an SD card, which is available here. Swiss itself can be compressed and packed to be used in the same way, but it's more convenient to be able to update just by copying a file to an SD card.
Nice! Didn't knew about this and that's awesome for a Qoob cube I have lying around. Thanks. :)
"The only thing more dangerous than a hardware guru with a code patch is a programmer with a soldering iron."
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue May 02, 2017 10:07 am

That's because I just released it. You're welcome. :)
namesbond

Post by namesbond » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:17 pm

Streetwalker can I flash your IPL to the Qoob Pro sw1.3a from a dvd-r? I don't have the USB programmer.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:26 pm

Unfortunately, no. For some reason, the updater screws up when you change the payload, so you can't make an update ISO.
namesbond

Post by namesbond » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:12 pm

Is there any point in having one without the usb programmer? Is it any better than a Xeno at that point?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:11 am

The stock Qoob BIOS even more useless than a xeno if you don't have the programming cable. If you're feeling up for it, you can try soldering a USB cable directly to it, there are test pads on the back of the PCB that are probably USB.
namesbond

Post by namesbond » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:57 pm

Thanks for the info streetwalker! I was able to get a refund so I’ll just keep looking.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:13 pm

If it's not too late, emu_kidid sells a programming board here, but you'll still need to find a flex cable, those are pretty common though.
Cornholio

Post by Cornholio » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:29 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:21 pm
I wrote an IPL for the Qoob Pro that can automatically load a DOL from an SD card, which is available here. Swiss itself can be compressed and packed to be used in the same way, but it's more convenient to be able to update just by copying a file to an SD card.
Can you tell me exactly which files I need to flash to the Qoob Pro and what else I have to do to get Swiss working from SD2SP2?

Thank you :)