Pot issues.

All your console related questions and answers :)
Recondito

Pot issues.

Post by Recondito » Sun Feb 11, 2018 11:27 pm

Hello GCF. I'm new to this forum. Indeed GaneCube has been the console I've enjoyed the most.
I own a 13 years old GameCube. It spent 9 years stored (I was too young and lost interest after new consoles came out), and after plugging it in again, ofcourse it gave trouble with the dvd burner. Eventually I knew that I had to pot tweak it, and after so many failed attempt, it finally worked, but I have to wait for the gamecube to "heat up". Also I tried almost every ohm possibility, but it had some sort of magic number.

Doesn't the laser works at 0 ohm? Or there is a magic number for it to work? Or it's on the correct number, but the gamecube is just too old?
boredomca

Re: Pot issues.

Post by boredomca » Tue Feb 13, 2018 6:36 pm

.180ohm is the main number I use, it works for everything and if it doesn't then you need a new laser.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 1:09 pm

Recondito wrote:Hello GCF. I'm new to this forum. Indeed GaneCube has been the console I've enjoyed the most.
I own a 13 years old GameCube. It spent 9 years stored (I was too young and lost interest after new consoles came out), and after plugging it in again, ofcourse it gave trouble with the dvd burner. Eventually I knew that I had to pot tweak it, and after so many failed attempt, it finally worked, but I have to wait for the gamecube to "heat up". Also I tried almost every ohm possibility, but it had some sort of magic number.

Doesn't the laser works at 0 ohm? Or there is a magic number for it to work? Or it's on the correct number, but the gamecube is just too old?
Depending on how the console was stored, perhaps some dust accumulated on the laser lens, try cleaning that with some iso propyl alcohol.

There's no "unsafe" potentiometer level, if your laser isn't reading originals/backups at 0 ohms then it's time for a new laser.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:37 pm

.150 is the max really due to the resistor though. Right?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:04 pm

boredomca wrote:.150 is the max really due to the resistor though. Right?
There's a 150 ohm fail-safe so that even if your potentiometer reads 0 ohm it's really 150 ohm going to the laser coils. All values quoted on the internet aren't taking this 150 ohm into consideration (and shouldn't).