Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:18 am

claywilson95 wrote:Did I do this correctly? I added the command to the end of the DOL, then added the 1024 null bytes.
You're missing a line feed after --no-osd
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:42 am

Extrems wrote:
claywilson95 wrote:Did I do this correctly? I added the command to the end of the DOL, then added the 1024 null bytes.
You're missing a line feed after --no-osd
So exactly what do I put after "--no-osd"?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:45 am

The ASCII line feed is 0A in hexadecimal.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:11 am

Ixoran wrote: I also have had no problems with GC rumble or GBA rumble. When you start the dol from swiss select rumble, hit left to select yes and make sure the rumble option is checked and hit start.

If youre enabling it right... are you on the latest version of GBI? Do you use any controller adapters or extension cables? They could be a problem.

Edit: iirc Regular GBI has rumble on by default so that could be a place to start testing.
Yes I enabled it both in Swiss or with cli file, I tried only the last version since I don't know where to find old versions.
I even tried to boot directly GBI instead of Swiss, no changes.
I don't have any adapter or special cable, just an official Nintendo GC controller (one of the last batches produced by Nintendo).
What do you mean GBA rumble? Can I use my GBA + cable link + a game with rumble?
That would be awesome, I have to try that :lol:
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:18 am

Stremon wrote:What do you mean GBA rumble? Can I use my GBA + cable link + a game with rumble?
This is indeed a thing.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:08 am

Extrems wrote:The ASCII line feed is 0A in hexadecimal.
I got it to work, thanks so much!

Is there any advice or info you could give on what to try, possibly, to fix the display chain resycn issue? I'm using original component cables on my Cube, if that tells you anything.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:58 pm

Extrems wrote:
Stremon wrote:What do you mean GBA rumble? Can I use my GBA + cable link + a game with rumble?
This is indeed a thing.
I tried the GBA + cable link + a game with rumble, but still doesn't vibrate...
I also tried other gamepads, no changes :?
Can it be a problem with the way I am loading swiss or GBI, or my Gamecube region?
I'm using PokeLoad on a japanese gamecube, along with a generic SD Gecko.
Ixoran

Post by Ixoran » Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:27 pm

Stremon wrote: I tried the GBA + cable link + a game with rumble, but still doesn't vibrate...
I also tried other gamepads, no changes :?
Can it be a problem with the way I am loading swiss or GBI, or my Gamecube region?
I'm using PokeLoad on a japanese gamecube, along with a generic SD Gecko.
I''m not sure what your problem is, sorry. It could be pokeload or the JPN Cube, but I think people have reported both of those implementations working.
As for the GBA cartridge rumble... it can be kinda finicky so i'd recommend when getting rumble working you test with a known working controller. Sorry I couldn't help and good luck!
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Fri Feb 16, 2018 11:57 am

Ixoran wrote: I''m not sure what your problem is, sorry. It could be pokeload or the JPN Cube, but I think people have reported both of those implementations working.
As for the GBA cartridge rumble... it can be kinda finicky so i'd recommend when getting rumble working you test with a known working controller. Sorry I couldn't help and good luck!
No problem I understand, thank you for helping :D
Actually everything work really great expect the rumble feature, that's why I was wondering if I could be doing something wrong :P
I tested all my 3 GC gamepad that have rumble in other games but still no luck.
I think I will buy a cheap gameboy player official disk to see if it works or if there is an issue with my GBP, but anyway even without rumble this software is still amazing.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:01 am

For low latency version:
  • Tweaked input viewer.
  • Changed some argument semantics.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Sat Feb 17, 2018 8:38 pm

So, I decided to make some videos to demonstrate a couple of different systems/emulator with my "demo" program to give you an idea of what the LCD timing/display is like. For all of these, I used height=32, move=48, and pressed select and start to disable the palette cycle and reset it back to 0. I apologize in advance on the quality of the videos. :) Most were recorded on a Nikon Coolpix L27 at 1280x720 at 30.017 fps. The 3DS videos were recorded on a cheap webcam at 640x480 at I'm not sure what frame rate.

GBA SP - https://streamable.com/3q05f
NDS Lite - https://streamable.com/b2r5h
3DS (no ghosting) - https://streamable.com/gkig7
3DS (average ghosting) - https://streamable.com/8qof7

Gamebox Advance - https://streamable.com/wyp2g
VBA GX (on Wii) - https://streamable.com/wbj4h

GB Player Disc - https://streamable.com/rcipq
GBI v20180204 - https://streamable.com/nv4ce
GBI LL v20180204 - https://streamable.com/x678x

The GBA SP is how it's supposed to look. For the NDS Lite there's a glitch frame every 176 frames or ~5.8633 seconds. Both 3DS variations seem to render correctly, except the average ghosting's colors are off. They're not nearly as bad IRL. The webcam apparently has a color skew as the last bit of the video should show equal intensity red/green/blue.

The Gamebox Advance is a Gameboy Advance clone based on a GPSP emulator (AFAIK) and clearly renders entirely wrong because frames aren't at all merged. VBA GX seems to have a glitch frame every ~435 frames or ~14.49 seconds--I'm not entirely sure how regularly they are compared to the NDS Lite.

For the official software (which I have as Full Screen, Normal Filter), there's a glitch every ~139 to ~149 frames or 4.63 seconds to 4.9638 seconds. Finally, there's a sort of color wobble with GBI every ~142 frames or ~4.73 seconds. Meanwhile, GBI LL every ~307 frames or 10.22753 seconds has a similar glitch to the NDS Lite. The last three seem to have a few to several frames variance.

The only other major thing is to note that if you set the height down to 1, it's apparent there's a pattern that appears mid-image but not at a consistent point. I'm not sure what this is, but it seems pretty consistent across at least a few of the different systems I tried (except the Gamebox Advance). Maybe it's because of changing the palette mid line? Anyways, this is what it looks like through a few heightmap images:

Image Pattern - https://streamable.com/u3yv4

Oh, and sorry if this is considered threadjacking. I just find it interesting from the perspective of comparable accuracy. In real games, I don't think any are stupid enough to do what my demo program does. :) I also posted this out of curiosity if everything else would bothered to try got similar results.

Edit - Added 3DS examples. I'd really like to have a much faster camera (and display) to see just how much of the blurring is a result of the monitor/lcd vs what's visually received/interpreted. *shrug*
Last edited by kuwanger on Sun Feb 18, 2018 6:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:00 pm

The color wobble is an artifact of the frame rate conversion. It's basically spreading the glitch frames over time.
noodohs

Post by noodohs » Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:41 am

I've been using the new version and it seems the audio glitch is not related to the reduced delay. I still hear it on pause screens. However, with Wario Land 4 specifically I was having a real hard time even playing the game with the lower audio delay. Most times the game would not load at all and other times it would load but crash later on. It's the only game I've experienced that with, so it may not be related, but I've had no issues with the latest version. So anyway, I guess my point is that the audio clicks and pops do not seem to be related to the reduced audio delay you implemented.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:16 am

I've checked and it definitely made it worse.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:41 am

For low latency version:
  • Added background color setting.
  • Added video buffering setting.
  • Renamed to speedrunning edition.
For ultra-low latency version:
  • Folded into speedrunning edition.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:51 am

Some more playing around, and for the new merged gbisr, I get an interesting rolling red/green/blue thing every ~10.2 seconds. Options were "--delay-video=0 --background=#0080FF --poll=7". I think that "--delay-video=0" is the cause. Not sure if it's important or interesting to you, but figured I'd post another video.

gbi sr 20080219 height 1 move 2, rolling rgb - https://streamable.com/24rw9
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:24 am

This is expected for NTSC 240p, you need to use the custom video format to prolong the cycle.
Dynak

Post by Dynak » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:40 pm

The downloads seem to be broken.

503 Service Unavailable
The origin has been unregistered from Cloudflare Warp
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Feb 21, 2018 10:23 pm

Yeah, I lost power. It's back now.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 4:37 pm

I finally got a Gameboy Player Disk to test the rumble feature, and as expected the rumble feature works perfectly with all the games supporting it.
But still no luck with GBI, no rumble at all no matter which version I use and whatever I try... So there might be an issue between GBI and my system somehow :cry:

Is there any limitation in GBI depending of the region of the GBA game or the GC hardware ? (for instance JAP or EU instead of US)
Because that's pretty much the only thing I see that could be causing the issue, since there are no problem with the hardware or software themselves.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:05 pm

There are no differences between hardware regions whatsoever.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:30 am

Streetwalker wrote:There are no differences between hardware regions whatsoever.
Even for the GBA games ? I mean how does the rumble support works, does it enable it for every games just in case they need it or does it detects the rumble function for each compatible game depending of their ID?
And I am not stupid, I know that there is no hardware difference, I am talking about the software side of things and the way GBI manage different regions games for instance :roll:
It really makes me confused on how this bug can happen, since I am 100% sure I am using the right parameters for the rumble, on a recent version of GBI, and since it is working perfectly with the official GBP Disk.
So it's obviously not an hardware issue, nor a wrong configuration, and everyone here is telling me it's not GBI either, so what, am I becoming crazy ? :lol:

Edit:
So I tested the US version of Drill Dozer with my EZ-Flash IV, and the rumble isn't working for this one too, so indeed it's probably the same with all games region.
Can anyone test Drill Dozer US on their GBP with the last GBI version launched with Swiss and tell me if it works for them ?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:31 am

Stremon wrote:I mean how does the rumble support works, does it enable it for every games just in case they need it or does it detects the rumble function for each compatible game depending of their ID?
The same as the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc: By looking at the screen for the Game Boy Player logo, inputting a button pattern while it's visible, and then doing a handshake and polling for rumble over a serial link.
Stremon wrote:I am talking about the software side of things and the way GBI manage different regions games for instance :roll:
GBI has no knowledge of the game.
Stremon wrote:everyone here is telling me it's not GBI either, so what, am I becoming crazy ? :lol:
It's possible it's GBI. But I can't do anything if I can't reproduce the issue.
Ixoran

Post by Ixoran » Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:24 pm

Stremon wrote: Can anyone test Drill Dozer US on their GBP with the last GBI version launched with Swiss and tell me if it works for them ?
Working as intended for me.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:22 pm

Stremon wrote:
Streetwalker wrote:Can anyone test Drill Dozer US on their GBP with the last GBI version launched with Swiss and tell me if it works for them ?
I'm having the exact same problem. With both 007: Agent Under Fire and SSBM, loading Swiss and latest GBI and the rumble doesn't work. SSBM and latest GBI direct boot and rumble works. And of course, official GB Player software rumble works. So, my guess is that somehow Swiss is interfering? I've tried with GBI and GBI SR on Agent Under Fire with Swiss enabling rumble. But GBI non-SR should do rumble by default, so either way it should work but it doesn't. So, it's not merely a bad parsing.

Not sure if any of this information is useful. Even if Extrems can't reproduce it, at least i can recommend the workaround of directly booting GBI. Hopefully that'll work for you too.