Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Stremon

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Stremon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 8:44 am

kuwanger wrote: I'm having the exact same problem. With both 007: Agent Under Fire and SSBM, loading Swiss and latest GBI and the rumble doesn't work. SSBM and latest GBI direct boot and rumble works. And of course, official GB Player software rumble works. So, my guess is that somehow Swiss is interfering? I've tried with GBI and GBI SR on Agent Under Fire with Swiss enabling rumble. But GBI non-SR should do rumble by default, so either way it should work but it doesn't. So, it's not merely a bad parsing.

Not sure if any of this information is useful. Even if Extrems can't reproduce it, at least i can recommend the workaround of directly booting GBI. Hopefully that'll work for you too.
Thanks man, that indeed really helps :D
I am really happy I am not the only one having the problem here :lol:
I was wondering too if the problem could come from an issue with swiss, but sadly booting directly GBI from Pokeload didn't change, there were no rumble. But maybe the settings were not good somehow.
Since I just got a XenoGC I will try booting it again in some other ways to see what works and what doesn't.
kuwanger

Post by kuwanger » Mon Mar 05, 2018 9:00 am

Stremon wrote:I was wondering too if the problem could come from an issue with swiss, but sadly booting directly GBI from Pokeload didn't change, there were no rumble. But maybe the settings were not good somehow.
Yea, I found out that Home Bros doesn't support loading options directly, so that's part of the reason I got Agent Under Fire. The other main reason was I actually SSBM in another system and didn't want to be constantly swapping out the disc. Something similar is why I got an SDLoader. So, only like ~$15 total (ignoring the cost of rewriting the memory card for the exploit).
Stremon wrote:Since I just got a XenoGC I will try booting it again in some other ways to see what works and what doesn't.
Good luck. It'd be good to know what exactly is the cause behind this. Personally, I don't actually like rumble, but the novelty and availability of it is nice. Out of curiosity, what all combinations have you tried? Pokeload + GBI/GBI-SR (with appended CLI) and Pokeload + Swiss + GBI/GBI-Sr (with dcp)? I know personally it got really tedious quickly having to reloaded repeatedly for each test. Would have been smarter for me to have written exploits on multiple memory cards, but I personally am trying to avoid that too much because I don't want to accidentally overwrite a legitimate save. :)
Screath

Post by Screath » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:10 pm

One weird thing I noticed is that the picture sometimes curves along the left and right sides, depending on the visuals of the game. It typically occurs if a game flashes white or has a white background. I am using standard Game Boy Interface on a standard definition CRT TV with S Video. My launch method is through Swiss via the Twilight Hack. The curving also happened when I boot straight to GBI via the Twilight Hack.
Stremon

Post by Stremon » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:56 pm

kuwanger wrote:Yea, I found out that Home Bros doesn't support loading options directly, so that's part of the reason I got Agent Under Fire. The other main reason was I actually SSBM in another system and didn't want to be constantly swapping out the disc. Something similar is why I got an SDLoader. So, only like ~$15 total (ignoring the cost of rewriting the memory card for the exploit).
Yes I am using a cheap SDLoader too, and my old wii for GCMM. I Also recently bought a cheap XenoGC clone (~$5) to load swiss more easily :P
kuwanger wrote:Good luck. It'd be good to know what exactly is the cause behind this. Personally, I don't actually like rumble, but the novelty and availability of it is nice. Out of curiosity, what all combinations have you tried? Pokeload + GBI/GBI-SR (with appended CLI) and Pokeload + Swiss + GBI/GBI-Sr (with dcp)? I know personally it got really tedious quickly having to reloaded repeatedly for each test. Would have been smarter for me to have written exploits on multiple memory cards, but I personally am trying to avoid that too much because I don't want to accidentally overwrite a legitimate save. :)
Thanks ;)
True, most people might not be really interested in the rumble function anyway, but I use the rumble mainly for one of my favorite GBA games, Drill Dozer.
Would really love to play this game with the rumble since it's a big part of the game enjoyment and gameplay :D

To list the solutions I tried :
Pokeload + GBI/GBI-SR (no CLI) ----> No Rumble
Pokeload + GBI/GBI-SR (appended CLI) ----> No Rumble
Pokeload + Swiss + GBI/GBI-Sr (dol) ----> No Rumble
Pokeload + Swiss + GBI/GBI-Sr (dol + CLI) ----> No Rumble
XenoGC + Swiss Disk + GBI/GBI-Sr (dol) ----> No Rumble
Nintendo GBP Disk ----> Rumble !

I tried many settings, combinations, GBA games and Gamepads (GC gamepads and GBA+Link cable), and so far I never managed to get the rumble working with GBI on my GC.
The only combination I didn't try yet is XenoGC + GBI Disk, but with the cost and rarity of the good mini DVD-R those days I prefer using one as a last resort solution.

I know it would be faster for me to give up and just play without rumble or play on my GBA, but I really want to figure the cause of the problem and make it work :?
Is there any test I can do to figure where the problem comes from, or tools I can use for that?
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 4:59 pm

Hey Everyone,

I just read through the last 10 pages of this thread and am pretty blown away by Extrems' work and everyone's collaboration. I followed this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdvY1vx5vMo which explained how to put the gbi.gci file directly on a GC memory card with GCMM and I'm using the save exploit for Agent Under Fire to load it. So I'm not using Swiss in this setup. I don't have an GC SD adapter or an Action Replay disc. GBI works well on its own but the colors are washed out, since i'm not using a config file with Swiss to change them. The Speed Runner version looks great, but I can't zoom, like in the regular version. So two questions,
1. Is not zooming in the Speed Runner version just a limitation of not using Swiss? Or can you do it, but I just don't know how?
2. Does going the "Memory Card Boot Disc" route still require the SD adapter, or can I my regular GC memory card. Also, does this require a modded GC to read a burned disc?

I think that's it. Thanks everyone.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:06 pm

jonphilmitch wrote:1. Is not zooming in the Speed Runner version just a limitation of not using Swiss? Or can you do it, but I just don't know how?
You can append a CLI file to the DOL and use dol2gci.
jonphilmitch wrote:2. Does going the "Memory Card Boot Disc" route still require the SD adapter, or can I my regular GC memory card. Also, does this require a modded GC to read a burned disc?
It only reads GameCube Memory Cards and requires a XenoGC.
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Tue Mar 06, 2018 5:22 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought I needed more info, but I was just confused because i didn't know DOL2CGI was an application. I think you gave me enough to go on here. I'll post again to let everyone know how it went.

Thanks again!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:28 am

• Improved Game Boy sound quality.
  • Improved audio rendering.
  • Reduced audio latency.
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:03 pm

Do I need anything in the CLI file besides "--zoom=2.5" before I append it if that's the only change I want to make? I tried it this morning with gbisr, but it had no effect.

Just to recap, here's what i did.
1 I created a CLI text file with just "--zoom=2.5" in it.
2. I put that, dol2gci.exe, and gbisr.dol in a folder together.
3. I opened the command line and cd' to the folder
4. I ran "copy /b gbisr.dol + gbisr.cli boot.dol" to append the CLI file I made.
5. I ran "dol2gci boot.dol gbisr.gci" to create the new gci file.
6 I used GCMM to put that file on my GC Memory card and booted it up with Agent Under Fire

It booted fine, but the zoom level has not changed. Do i need to include more settings in the CLI file or am i doing something else wrong?

Thank you!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:04 pm

You need to end with a new line.
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:13 pm

Extrems wrote:You need to end with a new line.
Thanks again for the quick reply. Just like, literally a new blank line before saving the document?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:03 pm

The file needs to end with an empty line is what he means.
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:10 pm

Streetwalker wrote:The file needs to end with an empty line is what he means.
Thanks for the clarification. I rarely work in code/command lines. I really need to learn some essentials, but when you're so used to GUIs, it's hard to get back into the code.
Weario

Post by Weario » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:55 am

I think I found an issue:
On the speedrunning version, I can't set the pixel aspect ratio to 3:2, my tv just gives me the [no signal] screen.

Few notes if it helps:
- 3:2 ratio works fine on the normal gbi version for me
- Other ratios such as 1:1 and 11:10 still work fine for me on the speedrunning version
- Even though I get no video, sound still works fine, so it doesn't look like the software has crashed
- I am using official component cables for 480p, connected to an LG HDTV
- I am setting the arguments using a .dcp file, then toggling them using Swiss, loaded by using an Action Replay
- The results are the same on both my NTSC and PAL gamecube

Let me know if I should test anything else
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:30 pm

Weario wrote:3:2 ratio works fine on the normal gbi version for me
That's because it's a display aspect ratio setting. 3:2 in GBI is equivalent to 1:1 in GBISR, and 4:3 is equivalent to 9:8.
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:48 pm

In case anyone cares, I got it working thanks to Extrems' guidance. At 2.5 zoom, it looks great just barely filling the screen.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:55 pm

I hope you changed other settings like the image scaler, scanning mode and vertical filter, or I'll find it hard to believe it's looking great.
Weario

Post by Weario » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:26 pm

Extrems wrote:
Weario wrote:3:2 ratio works fine on the normal gbi version for me
That's because it's a display aspect ratio setting. 3:2 in GBI is equivalent to 1:1 in GBISR, and 4:3 is equivalent to 9:8.
Ah yes, I can see now that it looks the same when I set it in 1:1 in gbisr, but then the sides of my screen seem to be cut off by black bars. Which doesn't seem to be the case in gbi.

EDIT: forgot to mention something. I am zooming it at 2.875x to make it fit my screen. Which makes it fit perfectly in gbi. (Can't use 3x probably due to overscan which I can't help)
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:33 pm

That's because GBISR is limited to 640x480. 720x486 is unusual and listed as a feature for a reason.
Weario

Post by Weario » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:35 pm

Extrems wrote:That's because GBISR is limited to 640x480. 720x486 is unusual and listed as a feature for a reason.
Understood. I should have read into that better, thanks!
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:17 pm

Extrems wrote:I hope you changed other settings like the image scaler, scanning mode and vertical filter, or I'll find it hard to believe it's looking great.
I didn't make any other changes other than setting zoom to 2.5. It still looks good to me, but if you don't mind pointing me to what I should be changing the other settings to, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you,
Jon
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Mar 08, 2018 7:44 pm

Under the assumption you don't have access to 480p:

Code: Select all

--zoom=2.5
--scaler=oversample
--scan-mode=interlace
If you insist on 240p (this will look bad):

--zoom=2.5
--scaler=oversample
--vfilter-even=.5:.5
--vfilter-odd=.5:.0:.5
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:52 pm

Extrems wrote:Under the assumption you don't have access to 480p:

--zoom=2.5
--scaler=oversample
--scan-mode=interlace
If you insist on 240p (this will look bad):

--zoom=2.5
--scaler=oversample
--vfilter-even=.5:.5
--vfilter-odd=.5:.0:.5
I do have access to 480p. I'm using the Zelda XPRO GC Video Plug n Play HDMI adapter. Just got it last week so i've been testing it with your software. should i just change "interlace" to "progressive"?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:56 pm

jonphilmitch wrote:I do have access to 480p. I'm using the Zelda XPRO GC Video Plug n Play HDMI adapter. Just got it last week so i've been testing it with your software. should i just change "interlace" to "progressive"?
Oh, if it's working then you're already using 480p.
jonphilmitch

Post by jonphilmitch » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:06 pm

ok so i'm cool with just using the "zoom" command than that's it? Again, I appreciate your help here.