Total Gamecube ISO hacking?

GGNderbomb

Total Gamecube ISO hacking?

Post by GGNderbomb » Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:26 pm

Hey guys, I've suddenly decided I want to make ROM hacks for gamecube games. I don't just want to do texture and dialoge mods, I wang to go as far as editing the 3d models and animations in the game. I was wondering if anyone here would know about the best tools for doing this and how to go about doing so. Thanks!
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Total Gamecube ISO hacking?

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:54 am

GGNderbomb wrote:Hey guys, I've suddenly decided I want to make ROM hacks for gamecube games. I don't just want to do texture and dialoge mods, I wang to go as far as editing the 3d models and animations in the game. I was wondering if anyone here would know about the best tools for doing this and how to go about doing so. Thanks!
There are various tools for specific games out there. The best way would be to find the files inside of the GCM you want to mod and then search for that file extension + game name + editor in a search engine, I've seen editors for many games, not sure if there's a collection somewhere, perhaps someone else knows?
GGNderbomb

Post by GGNderbomb » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:54 am

emu_kidid wrote:There are various tools for specific games out there. The best way would be to find the files inside of the GCM you want to mod and then search for that file extension + game name + editor in a search engine, I've seen editors for many games, not sure if there's a collection somewhere, perhaps someone else knows?
I've found some pretty useful tools myself while browsing. These are GCRebuilder for extracting the files from the game iso, szs tools for extracting and repacking textures from .tpl files, and BMDviewer for viewing and ripping the 3D models. They've worked just as much as I've needed them to for now. Can't wait to see what I can create with this.
And I think it's gonna be a long long time, 'till touchdown brings me round again to find, I'm not the man they think I am at home Oh-no-no-no, I'm GGN.
Aleron Ives

Post by Aleron Ives » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:18 am

GCRebuilder is awesome, although its main limitation is that it uses 2048-byte alignment when you build a new ISO from an extracted filesystem, so the ISO won't run in Nintendont. I'm not sure how compatible GCR ISOs are with real GC hardware, but they work fine in Dolphin.
GGNderbomb

Post by GGNderbomb » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:19 pm

Aleron Ives wrote:GCRebuilder is awesome, although its main limitation is that it uses 2048-byte alignment when you build a new ISO from an extracted filesystem, so the ISO won't run in Nintendont. I'm not sure how compatible GCR ISOs are with real GC hardware, but they work fine in Dolphin.
GCR ISOs as far as I know work fine on gamecube hardware by playing them on a burned disc.
boredomca

Post by boredomca » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 am

Upload the ISO somewhere and I can test it for you.
GGNderbomb

Post by GGNderbomb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:23 am

boredomca wrote:Upload the ISO somewhere and I can test it for you.
Already tried a rom hack of agents under fire that was applied using GCR. It works.
GGNderbomb

Post by GGNderbomb » Wed Mar 28, 2018 12:41 am

So guys, as far as I've been able to go, I've only managed to find the dialouge and all of the textures for the game. I've only found 4 sound files, and I can't find the 3D models anywhere. Do you think the rest of the game is contained within the scripts? I don't know alot of C, witch would make it more challenging than I expected.