Xeno GC modchip help?

ViperGC/Qoob/etc
xx77Chris77xx

Xeno GC modchip help?

Post by xx77Chris77xx » Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:00 pm

I recently bought one of the Xeno GC chips off of eBay and it seemed to be working for a while. Games kept giving me read errors after playing for a few minutes so I kept trying to adjust my pot tweak. Nothing seemed to make it better so I checked my soldering to make sure that I wasn't having any short circuits that could be causing my problems and I didn't find any shorts with my multimeter. I tried booting in to the Xeno's menu by holding start while the system boots and all I got was this.
IMG_2896.JPG
(1.79 MiB) Not downloaded yet
IMG_2897.JPG
(2.02 MiB) Not downloaded yet
Does anyone know what the problem could be? I'm going to try ordering two or three new chips if there isn't anything I can do to try to salvage this one. Shipping on most of them takes forever though.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Xeno GC modchip help?

Post by emu_kidid » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:28 pm

xx77Chris77xx wrote:I recently bought one of the Xeno GC chips off of eBay and it seemed to be working for a while. Games kept giving me read errors after playing for a few minutes so I kept trying to adjust my pot tweak. Nothing seemed to make it better so I checked my soldering to make sure that I wasn't having any short circuits that could be causing my problems and I didn't find any shorts with my multimeter. I tried booting in to the Xeno's menu by holding start while the system boots and all I got was this.
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
Does anyone know what the problem could be? I'm going to try ordering two or three new chips if there isn't anything I can do to try to salvage this one. Shipping on most of them takes forever though.
I believe your laser has had enough or you're using poor quality media. The GameCube is very picky with DVD-R. If you can boot to that shell (shipped on all XenoGC 2.0 chips) then the chip is working just fine.
xx77Chris77xx

Post by xx77Chris77xx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:14 am

emu_kidid wrote:
xx77Chris77xx wrote:I recently bought one of the Xeno GC chips off of eBay and it seemed to be working for a while. Games kept giving me read errors after playing for a few minutes so I kept trying to adjust my pot tweak. Nothing seemed to make it better so I checked my soldering to make sure that I wasn't having any short circuits that could be causing my problems and I didn't find any shorts with my multimeter. I tried booting in to the Xeno's menu by holding start while the system boots and all I got was this.
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
I believe your laser has had enough or you're using poor quality media. The GameCube is very picky with DVD-R. If you can boot to that shell (shipped on all XenoGC 2.0 chips) then the chip is working just fine.
Is that what the boot shell is supposed to look like? if so then I believe its my media.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:00 am

xx77Chris77xx wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:
IMG_2896.JPG
IMG_2897.JPG
Is that what the boot shell is supposed to look like? if so then I believe its my media.
Yep, on a 2.0 that's the shell (as crappy as it is). It's meant to list multi-game disc entries but being an original disc or single game disc, you just get that mostly blank screen locked in 50Hz.
xx77Chris77xx

Post by xx77Chris77xx » Wed Apr 25, 2018 5:20 am

emu_kidid wrote:
xx77Chris77xx wrote:
emu_kidid wrote:
Yep, on a 2.0 that's the shell (as crappy as it is). It's meant to list multi-game disc entries but being an original disc or single game disc, you just get that mostly blank screen locked in 50Hz.
Just ordered some (hopefully) higher quality discs to burn. I triple checked the modchip and its just fine, also apparently the menu I had been looking at online was just the older versions menu. No matter where I tweak my potentiometer (Between 0 ohms and 280 at intervals of 10-15) I always end up with a DRE within 20 minutes. It's at random intervals and different points in the game so its not a bad burn or a bad ISO, should either be my media or my laser at this point.