Multi-Disc

Discuss one of the most feature filled GameCube applications here :)
Lollipop

Multi-Disc

Post by Lollipop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 5:53 am

Hi guys,

So I've been stuck at the disc swap fight in Tales of Symphonia for a couple years now. I heard that the most recent versions of Swiss once again support multi disc and was wondering what the process would be for the actual disc swap? Is there a new method now? I just don't want to have to redo this boss fight once again :D

Thanks,

Lollipop
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Re: Multi-Disc

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:03 am

Lollipop wrote:Hi guys,

So I've been stuck at the disc swap fight in Tales of Symphonia for a couple years now. I heard that the most recent versions of Swiss once again support multi disc and was wondering what the process would be for the actual disc swap? Is there a new method now? I just don't want to have to redo this boss fight once again :D

Thanks,

Lollipop
I'm glad some users are patient!

Yeah it works now, just have the files named MyGame-disc1.iso MyGame-disc2.iso. When the point in the game asks you to swap it will swap automatically for you.
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Wed Sep 21, 2016 8:59 pm

Wow! That's so great and easy to use now. Thanks to you and everyone working on the project.

Also just to clarify can I replace "MyGame" with the name of the actual game?

Thanks again
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed Sep 21, 2016 10:41 pm

Lollipop wrote:Also just to clarify can I replace "MyGame" with the name of the actual game?
Yep, e.g. "Tales Of Symphonia-1.iso" and "Tales of Symphonia-2.iso" would even work, it literally just checks that there's a matching file name with the character before the "." being a 1 or 2.
Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Sep 22, 2016 4:17 am

oh, so we don't even need to hit the lid switch now?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Sep 22, 2016 11:47 am

Not from SDGecko or IDE-EXI. DVD Discs obviously you need to open and physically swap the discs
vinzanity

Post by vinzanity » Thu Sep 22, 2016 12:38 pm

Whaa? Multi-Disc? So does this work for Wiikey Fusion? If yes, amazing! I'll have to try this out.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:11 am

I don't think it worked for WKF
Lollipop

Post by Lollipop » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:46 pm

Can confirm successful disk swap from SD Gecko. Thanks again emu
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Sep 26, 2016 1:51 am

Lollipop wrote:Can confirm successful disk swap from SD Gecko. Thanks again emu
Great!
SilverStar

Post by SilverStar » Thu Oct 06, 2016 7:11 am

I'm fresh new here and am going to be taking the plunge to the world of a Swiss flashed Wasp Fusion when it's available again. As I'm interested in Resident Evil's 0,1 and 4 as well as Metal Gear Solid, I'm wondering if Wasp Fusion supports multi-disc titles through its SD card slot? I see it offers support through SD Gecko etc. I'll be installing the lid switch with a MegaDrive v3 so I'm really hoping multi-disc support is offered through Wasp's on-board SD card reader. Thanks:)
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:40 pm

SilverStar wrote:I'm fresh new here and am going to be taking the plunge to the world of a Swiss flashed Wasp Fusion when it's available again. As I'm interested in Resident Evil's 0,1 and 4 as well as Metal Gear Solid, I'm wondering if Wasp Fusion supports multi-disc titles through its SD card slot? I see it offers support through SD Gecko etc. I'll be installing the lid switch with a MegaDrive v3 so I'm really hoping multi-disc support is offered through Wasp's on-board SD card reader. Thanks:)
I need to hack support in for it to work, it shouldn't be hard I've just been putting it off a while. Worst case you can use SD Gecko for the swap points then go back to the wasp SD slot.
SilverStar

Post by SilverStar » Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:52 am

Excellent, glad to hear it's possibly coming. Thanks for the response!!!
chrinfinity

Post by chrinfinity » Thu May 10, 2018 8:37 am

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this question is 100% on topic.

Question regarding Swiss handling multi-disc games:
The Wii homebrew GameCube loader known as "nintendont" requires that GameCube games be stored in individual folders, all under a root folder called "games", e.g. a given game called "My Title" must be stored as "drive:\games\My Title\game.iso" with multi-disc games expected to have the second disc iso located within the same folder e.g. "drive:\games\My Title\disc2.iso"

Please note that Nintendont is quite strict in that the iso files themselves must be called "game.iso" and "disc2.iso" or else the Wii won't see or load the games.

Given this, my question for Swiss: Is it, or can it be, set up so that "disc2.iso" would be properly recognized as the second disc for a given game loaded in the same folder from "game.iso"... This would allow for libraries that have been organized to support nintendont for Wii, to play also through Swiss without needing a bunch of renaming. E.g. if one wanted to swap an SD Card between a GC and a Wii, or alternatively as in my case, simply wish to maintain one central repository of games without having to keep two separate naming/file structures.

Thanks very much to anyone who can provide clarity on this question.

Edit: Sorry, I would gladly just test this myself but I don't have any save files that are at a disc swap point.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Thu May 10, 2018 8:26 pm

chrinfinity wrote:Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but this question is 100% on topic.

Question regarding Swiss handling multi-disc games:
The Wii homebrew GameCube loader known as "nintendont" requires that GameCube games be stored in individual folders, all under a root folder called "games", e.g. a given game called "My Title" must be stored as "drive:\games\My Title\game.iso" with multi-disc games expected to have the second disc iso located within the same folder e.g. "drive:\games\My Title\disc2.iso"

Please note that Nintendont is quite strict in that the iso files themselves must be called "game.iso" and "disc2.iso" or else the Wii won't see or load the games.

Given this, my question for Swiss: Is it, or can it be, set up so that "disc2.iso" would be properly recognized as the second disc for a given game loaded in the same folder from "game.iso"... This would allow for libraries that have been organized to support nintendont for Wii, to play also through Swiss without needing a bunch of renaming. E.g. if one wanted to swap an SD Card between a GC and a Wii, or alternatively as in my case, simply wish to maintain one central repository of games without having to keep two separate naming/file structures.

Thanks very much to anyone who can provide clarity on this question.

Edit: Sorry, I would gladly just test this myself but I don't have any save files that are at a disc swap point.
Hi,

It is only necessary that the files have the same name, adding 1 or 2 at the end depending on the disk. And in the same folder. An example:

37 Resident Evil Zero Disc 1.gcm
37 Resident Evil Zero Disc 2.gcm

You can put "a 1.gcm" and "a 2.gcm" which will work. Maybe, with the number together. But I never tested it. Just a few comments:

1 - It is not possible to exchange discs with games that use ELF. At least, everyone I tested.
2 - Some games do not exchange discs properly if the APPLOADER is modified.

I hope I have been helpful.
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu May 10, 2018 11:10 pm

You've completely missed the point of his request. He wants to be able to use the same layout as Nintendont so that he can share an SD card with that and Swiss. It's feasible and wouldn't take too much effort, but my GC development setup is kinda broken currently so I can't do it myself.
Andross89

Post by Andross89 » Fri May 11, 2018 11:55 am

Streetwalker wrote:You've completely missed the point of his request. He wants to be able to use the same layout as Nintendont so that he can share an SD card with that and Swiss. It's feasible and wouldn't take too much effort, but my GC development setup is kinda broken currently so I can't do it myself.
I found that explaining the working process on Swiss, he would understand that it is not possible ... But I tested it the way he wanted and it did not work. I renamed "game.iso" / "disc2.iso" and placed an an isolated folder. Was that it? If not, I'll do it again. No problem.
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri May 11, 2018 2:33 pm

It's a feature request.
chrinfinity

Post by chrinfinity » Sat May 12, 2018 6:36 am

Streetwalker wrote:It's a feature request.
Okay thanks very much for clarifying. I thought so :)

I've opened an issue for this. Hopefully I've explained it clearly enough and that it's only a one or two line fix in the code.
https://github.com/emukidid/swiss-gc/issues/198
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat May 12, 2018 7:47 am

It's a little more than a line or two (I've already taken a look), but it's still fairly simple.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon May 14, 2018 11:40 am

I've added support, you still have to navigate into the folder and choose game.iso but it should pick up the second disc now.
chrinfinity

Post by chrinfinity » Tue May 15, 2018 9:22 pm

My hero! Do you have a donate button or a patreon?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue May 15, 2018 9:40 pm

He has a donate button at the top of every page.
chrinfinity

Post by chrinfinity » Wed May 16, 2018 6:22 am

Thanks, found it (didn't realize emu_kidid owned gc-forever until now).

Unfortunately r449 crashes out on any single disc game (anywhere "disc2.iso" is missing from "game.iso" folder). Had to revert to r447 for the time being. However, r449 appears to work as desired for games where "disc2.iso" is present.
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Wed May 16, 2018 12:23 pm

chrinfinity wrote:Thanks, found it (didn't realize emu_kidid owned gc-forever until now).

Unfortunately r449 crashes out on any single disc game (anywhere "disc2.iso" is missing from "game.iso" folder). Had to revert to r447 for the time being. However, r449 appears to work as desired for games where "disc2.iso" is present.
Thanks! Give it a shot now, r450 is up.