Game Boy Interface

Release threads for homebrew & utilities only
Extrems

Re: Game Boy Interface

Post by Extrems » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:20 pm

Look at the mapping for the Select button. It's normally on Z.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:41 am

So, just tell me what info you need to suggest the best settings for me to add to the DOL for the best video quality through standard GBI. I have tried putting together a few different things (the HD60, interlace, clock 2x, size2x, scaler=nearest) and it has just turned out a little weird. I want the best quality video output that standard GBI can give me while playing my GBA games, through my component cables onto my 1080p TV. Thanks so much as always!!
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jun 09, 2018 4:55 am

I said to try 720x1080i (--format=hd60 --scan-mode=non-progressive), not 960x720i. Nor did I say to change the scaling filter.

I don't normally use televisions, so I'm going out of my way here.
Standard Edition#High-definition televisions
High-Fidelity Edition#High-definition televisions
Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:35 am

Is there an easier way to change the settings without having to recompile the program every time? I just want to be able to adjust the gamma on the fly. Or at least find one good setting and stick with it for everything. I thought there were hotkeys on the first post the last time I visited, but either I imagined it, or they are gone now.

Also, does the pre-compiled GCI version support the LUTs? Or do I have to burn it to disc or get an SD adapter?

I can't find the readme file, so I'm not sure which version of the program I'm supposed to be running. I'm using one of the softmod exploits to run the BOOT.DOL from a 59 block memory card, on a CRT television through composite video. I tried the Normal one (gbi.gci) and it ran okay, but not in 240p mode. The High-Fidelity version (gbihf.gci) ran in 240p, but it was in grayscale. The Speedrunning version (gbisr.gci) runs in 240p, in color, but I'm not sure if that's the one I'm supposed to be using? It seems to have some horizontal blurring going on, I don't know if that's intentional or not. Otherwise, it seems to be working okay, I just won't use any of the speedrunning utilities.

BTW, I think all of the guides out there need to be updated. They all mention a "low latency" and an "ultra low latency" version, I assume those got renamed to "Speedrunning Edition" and "High-Fidelity Edition"?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:07 am

If you use Swiss, then you get the opportunity to change settings in a GUI before launching.
Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sun Jun 10, 2018 7:26 am

Will GBI and the exploit save and Swiss all fit on one memory card 59?

And if I hold reset and swap out a different game, will the GUI settings show up again, or do I have to hard reboot the whole thing?

Seems like an in-game hotkey would be a lot easier, or is it not possible to program it in, due to hardware restrictions?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:25 am

Swiss is only going to fit on a 259 block or larger card. I'll begin having a less texture filled version for smaller memory cards at some point soon but large cheap cards can still be had for little $ on eBay.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:09 am

Or just get an SD adapter which is much more flexible and easier to use.
Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:16 am

I'm just using a 59 because I'm not using it for anything else at the moment. If I needed more space, I'd prefer to build an SD adapter, but it seems like a lot of work just for GBI. Everything else I can run on the Wii or the WiiU.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:29 am

You would save yourself a lot of hassle by getting an SD adapter. You don't have to make it yourself.
Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am

I'll just wait until an in-game menu is programmed for GBI (or maybe I'll try adding hotkeys myself when I get some free time). I've got it set to the GBA color matrix, with gamma at 1.0, and it looks awesome with older GBA games...but obviously, newer GBA games, most homebrews, and GBC games, are going to look a little bit too dark. I can always turn up my TV's brightness if I really need to.

Doesn't make much sense to have to keep hard rebooting the system when changes need to be manually made, almost on a game-by-game basis. A simple toggle to switch between gammas of 1.0, 1.7, and 2.2 would probably work fine.

Other than that, I'm pretty pleased with the program. If the official disc had been more like this, I probably wouldn't have gotten rid of my GBP back in the day >_<
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm

I don't think Extrems is interested in adding a menu directly in GBI. You won't be able to add it either because it's not open source.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:24 pm

Asaki wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:35 am
I thought there were hotkeys on the first post the last time I visited, but either I imagined it, or they are gone now.
They were moved to the wiki.
Asaki wrote:
Also, does the pre-compiled GCI version support the LUTs? Or do I have to burn it to disc or get an SD adapter?
They can only be loaded from an SD card at the moment.
Asaki wrote:
BTW, I think all of the guides out there need to be updated. They all mention a "low latency" and an "ultra low latency" version, I assume those got renamed to "Speedrunning Edition" and "High-Fidelity Edition"?
The speedrunning edition is both the low latency and ultra-low latency versions. The high-fidelity edition is new.
Asaki wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 11:53 am
I've got it set to the GBA color matrix, with gamma at 1.0
That's not how you use it, you need to start with the defaults. Raise the input gamma if you want a darker image, 2.7 is suggested. You should never touch output gamma.
Streetwalker wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:10 pm
I don't think Extrems is interested in adding a menu directly in GBI.
I am, it's just low priority.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:52 am

So the rumble in standard GBI either still does not work properly (tested with both Drill Dozer and Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga), or do I have to have Game Boy Player Enhancements enabled? Or am I missing something else by chance?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:06 am

If the option isn't grayed out in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, they are enabled. Do you have something in the link port?
Asaki

Post by Asaki » Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am

Extrems wrote:
Sun Jun 10, 2018 2:24 pm
That's not how you use it, you need to start with the defaults. Raise the input gamma if you want a darker image, 2.7 is suggested. You should never touch output gamma.
Are you sure? Usually lower gamma = darker picture.

I just copied what was in the example CLI file:

Code: Select all

--input-gamma=1.
--output-gamma=1.
--contrast=.78125
I did drop the contrast to 0.75, though. I think it looks pretty good where it's at, but I do have my TV setup kind of dark at the moment. Circle of the Moon had its blacks crushed a tiny bit, but wasn't uncomfortable to play. Link's Awakening DX was a little bit dark. I wanted to check Dragon Warrior III, but didn't feel like running upstairs to find the cart.

My SNES palette hack(s) of Breath of Fire 1/2 was really dark, but that's no surprise, it's pretty dark even on the AGS-101.

claywilson95 wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:52 am
So the rumble in standard GBI either still does not work properly (tested with both Drill Dozer and Mario & Luigi Super Star Saga), or do I have to have Game Boy Player Enhancements enabled? Or am I missing something else by chance?
I have the SR Edition set to "enabled", and I was playing Pokemon Pinball 2 (Ruby Sapphire) and the rumble was working just fine.

I didn't test Drill Dozer or M&L. I know Drill Dozer had a rumble built into the cart, I didn't know it also supported GBP rumble (I guess it makes sense).
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jun 11, 2018 2:18 pm

Asaki wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am
Are you sure? Usually lower gamma = darker picture.
I'm absolutely sure.
Asaki wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:07 am
I just copied what was in the example CLI file
The example mimics the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:06 am
If the option isn't grayed out in Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, they are enabled. Do you have something in the link port?
The options for me are grayed out, and I don't have anything in the link port. I do have GBP Enhancements turned off though. Could that be what's causing it?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm

Yes, you need to enable Game Boy Player enhancements to use Game Boy Player enhancements...
claywilson95

Post by claywilson95 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:30 pm

Extrems wrote:
Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:06 pm
Yes, you need to enable Game Boy Player enhancements to use Game Boy Player enhancements...
Well that's just as obvious to me as it is to you, you kind, responsive developer, you lol. However my question about that to you was, is rumble a GBP Enhancement? I'm assuming by that response that it is. Will turning them back on hinder the frame rate on any of my rumble-enabled games, such as Drill Dozer, where it struggled before having them enabled?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Mon Jun 11, 2018 4:41 pm

I don't know about Drill Dozer, but Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is notorious in the speedrunning community for performance issues even with the Game Boy Player Start-up Disc.

I've now documented the enhancements on the wiki, even if this isn't specific to Game Boy Interface.
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 12, 2018 4:14 am

• Changed brightness/contrast controls to match BT.1886.
This remove the need to spam "--input-gamma=1. --output-gamma=1.", reducing user confusion.
Asaki

Post by Asaki » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:27 pm

Extrems, I'm curious about something. Do you know if the GC/Wii has a 256x240 video mode, as seen in NES/SNES emulators, or does it simply draw the screen at that resolution and scale it to 320x240?
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:35 pm

Asaki wrote:
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:27 pm
Extrems, I'm curious about something. Do you know if the GC/Wii has a 256x240 video mode, as seen in NES/SNES emulators, or does it simply draw the screen at that resolution and scale it to 320x240?
240p on GC/Wii is typically 720x240. The system is based on ITU-R BT.601 and video timings are defined by software. The limitation is a choice of only 2 pixel clocks (13.5 and 27 MHz).
Extrems

Post by Extrems » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:46 pm

• Added analog sound emulation.
  • Fixed some audio bugs.
For standard edition:
  • Changed default sound mode to analog.
I've always felt sound left something to be desired. Now it sounds like the Nintendo DS' headphone out.