New to HOMEBREW, SWISS, & GBI. Need help!

Find all your GameCube topics here
KJonline

New to HOMEBREW, SWISS, & GBI. Need help!

Post by KJonline » Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:16 pm

Okay I'm a new member to this website, so please forgive me if I'm posting this in the wrong topic. I didn't know where else to go, and I read this website is the perfect place for GameCube hacks, so hope someone can help md out. 👍

I've basically been doing researching on getting the best experience with Gameboy player for the GameCube. That research has led me to Homebrew, Swiss, and The Game Boy interface. I'm just now purchasing everything I need. I just want to make sure that I got everything I need, and I need guidance on getting everything to work. I'm new to The Homebrew game.

To save money from purchasing and expensive Nintendo component cable, and expensive component modding, I have decided to go with the PAL GameCube route to use scart. Please check the list to see if I've got everything covered...

1. PAL gamecube
2. Game Boy player
3. SD Media launcher
4. Scart or HD retrovision cables.

.... I think that should basically cover it. If Im missing anything, please let me know.

Now my questions are...

1. When checking the SD MEDIA LAUNCHER, I see there is a US VERSION and the EU VERSION. Which version do I need for my PAL GAMECUBE? ...So I don't buy the wrong one by mistake.

2. I understand that pal GameCube do not run US games. I should be able to bypass this with the action replay disc that comes with my SD media launcher, correct?

3. If the EU version of the SD media launcher is the version I need for my pal GameCube, I'm assuming it will not work on my US Wii, correct? Or am I mistaken?
novenary

Re: New to HOMEBREW, SWISS, & GBI. Need help!

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:13 pm

1) Get the EU version for your PAL console.
2) Yes. Failing that, Swiss can do it.
3) You can probably softmod your Wii to accept the disc, but there is really no point on using it on the Wii in the first place.
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:33 pm

Get yourself a Gamecube RGB Cable. They are quiet cheap and already increase your image quality over normal composite cables.
Last edited by Sierron on Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
novenary

Post by novenary » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:12 pm

I'm pretty sure that's what he's planning to do.
Sierron

Post by Sierron » Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:27 pm

Well, you can use composite with scart as well. You got your pal gamecube this way back then. Composite cable + Scart Adapter for TV. That's why I wrote to get the RGB cable as it wasn't really clear from op.
Own a couple PAL and JPN cubes. And three BBAs. Homeland and PSO I/II.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:55 am

Thanks everyone for all the help and updated information. It took me weeks to find a loop hole around getting an actual component cable, and I'm glad I finally found athe cheapest solution!

Can someone walk me through getting Homebrew, Swiss and GBI setup? ... Yes I'm a newbie to this lol.

My goal is to play GBA games on the Gameboy Player with the best picture quality at 240p, and with the lowest input lag. I Read GBI will do the trick for my needs.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:32 pm

PS. On a side note... Is using SD MEDIA LAUNCHER the best and easiest way to launch Homebrew, Swiss, and GBI?

Or is there a way to do all that by hacked memory card or SD card WITHOUT any discs??
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:31 pm

Best? Definitely not. Easiest? Probably compared to installing a modchip or setting up a save exploit.
There is no exploit in the BIOS so it's not possible to boot homebrew another way.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Wed Jul 11, 2018 5:27 am

Thanks for the reply. I found a brand new SD MEDIA LAUNCHER for like $35 which ain't bad, so I went ahead and got it.

1. So why is it not the best way to boot homebrew? Does it cause problems?

2. And what is the best way to boot Homebrew if SD MEDIA LAUNCHER isn't the way, and why?

3. My understanding is you have to have have a disc either way. Is this true?

... Again, I'm new to all this lol.
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:50 am

1) Because it needs a disc and it's one of the slowest boot methods, together with xenogc and save game exploits.

2) The best methods are IPL replacement (qoob/viper) and drive emulators (wkf/wasp/wode...). They allow instant boot to homebrew, skipping the boot animation altogether, and the latter devices also provide a much better way to load backups.

3) No, as stated above.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:09 am

1. Those two methods you mentioned that do not require a disc are hardware mods and an expensive emulator that's hard to find and probably expensive. Is this correct??? ...If so, Ill pass on those lol.

2. I prefer no mods and native gameplay with no emulation to save on MONEY Anyways. Plus I prefer native over emulation. That's why I want to use the GBP and GBI. For native GB playing on the big screen. So does this mean I'm using the BEST DISC METHOD with SD MEDIA LAUNCHER?

3. I just got my used PAL GameCube in btw that I ordered off ebay. I also have a HD RETROVISION component cable that I read works with IPAL gamecubes since they have rgb out. the cable converts scart rgb signal to component. Research and official website said it should work but...
Why the heck is my screen FLI KERING though??? :(

4.*I did my homework, and read that all this should be working. Do I need to reset the resolution on my GameCube, or is the GameCube defective? ...HELP?! LOL
novenary

Post by novenary » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:19 am

1) Correct.

2) SDML is probably easier to set up than game exploits, but it doesn't support SDHC which may or may not be a problem for you.

3/4) No idea. Try holding B while loading a PAL game and choosing 60 hz mode.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:56 am

The SDML said it supports cards up yo 4GB, so that ones confusing on me.

Can't boot up a PAL game until my SDML arrives since it's PAL.

my Pal GameCube works on my HDTV btw. I just tried it.

It just doesn't work on my CRT for some reason. Maybe changing it to 60hz will help.

Would using Homebrew and forcing it at 240p help too you think?

I can't do any of this until my SDML and GBP arrive btw.

This is a big mess. :(
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:19 am

4GB non-HC cards exist but are hard to find.
The IPL always runs in 50hz mode so this could be your problem. What kind of CRT are you using?
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:56 pm

I'm using a newer RCA SDTV with component input. The time Right when tube TVs started to die.

Unfortunately, I'm unable to change the HERTZ without a PAL game. Ide have to wait until my PAL SD MEDIA LAUNCHER arrives. Unless there is a way I'm unaware of.

This whole thing is a nightmare, cuz now I have to find a compatible SD card like you said.

I've spent so much money on equipment getting this gamecube set up, and can't return some of them.

Meaning, I'll have to find a way to get all this to work. There has to be a way using soft mod somewhere I'm assuming. There has to be.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:08 pm

UPDATE: I found a video on YouTube where a guy had my same problem and just switched the hertz to 60 like you said. He's using composite which explains his BLACK AND WHITE picture.

I'm using a HD retrovision RGB to component CABLE, and I have color.

I think I just need a pal disc to put in the system so it can give me that option while I'm holding down be upon startup.

Will that SD MEDIA LAUNCHER action replay disc help me do the hertz change trick upon start up, or does It HAVE to be an actual game??

Or is there ANY other way to change the hertz without need of a disc??

... We almost got this, bro. Let's not give up! 👍
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:50 pm

You don't need a physical copy of the game, with SDML you can use Swiss to load it from your SD card. I don't remember if there's homebrew that can change the SRAM settings or not.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:04 am

1. So are you saying I can change the HERTZ setting using SDML and a hacked Homebrew SD card?

2. You lost me on SRAM btw. What did you mean by that?

3. Regarding the NON HC sd card for SDML, I found a 2GB Wii SanDisk SD card. The official Nintendo SD card. Will that work for SDML?
novenary

Post by novenary » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:24 pm

1) Yeah, just load Swiss from SDML, and then a PAL game off of your SD card from there.
2) SRAM is a persistent storage area backed by the clock battery. The setting for 60 hz is stored there, and it can be changed with homebrew software, but I don't remember any that lets you do that.
3) That should work.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:29 am

Ok thank you! Im still waiting on my SDML to arrive. Once it's here, I will try to change the Hertz setting on the Wii using all those softmod methods, and get back to you.👍

Can you link me to the best website to go to for HOMEBREW/SWIS/GBI walkthrough instructions?
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:45 am

Extrems reminded me that Swiss sets the 60 hz flag, so just go into its settings and choose 480i.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:40 pm

Will do, as soon as everything arrives. Thanks.

Speaking of HOMEBREW, SWISS, and GAMEBOY INTERFACE.

What exactly is the difference in all of them?

All I know is GBI is recommended over the factory software for GBP, but how does SWISS and HOMEBREW play a part in this? ... I never fully understood that.

To keep it simple, what are their purposes, and what do they do?
novenary

Post by novenary » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:51 pm

Homebrew is just unlicensed software made by independent developers. You need some kind of exploit/boot disc/modchip to run any. Swiss and GBI are homebrew.
Swiss isn't strictly required to use GBI, but it offers a slightly friendlier interface to modify your configuration before booting it up. It's kind of a multi purpose tool, though the biggest feature is probably loading game backups from an SD card.
KJonline

Post by KJonline » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:35 pm

Oh ok I think I get it now..

1. "HOMEBREW" is just the overall generic term for whatever unlicensed software is used in General. Kinda like how the word ASIAN covers Koreans, japs, Chinese, etc.

2. And SWISS is mainly used to change GameCube settings and boot bootlegs, all regions, etc.

3 GBI of course is for Gameboy player.

... Is all this correct???

PS. Here's another good question... If my Gamecube was xeno modded, would I still need a boot disc for Homebrew?
novenary

Post by novenary » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:51 pm

All correct.
If you have a xeno, you can burn any homebrew to a disc and boot that directly. Swiss comes with an ISO that you can use for this.