What to do with a new GameCube

Portables, case replacements, mods etc, all in here!
MichiS97

What to do with a new GameCube

Post by MichiS97 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 5:35 pm

Hi guys,

today, I've made one of my typical impulse decisions and bought a GameCube from eBay for a relatively cheap price (30€). I've also ordered a XenoGC right away because I'd like to play backups.
However, it wasn't until after I bought all that stuff that I did some actual research and found out that playing backups isn't that simple, which is why I'd like to ask you guys for some advice.

So basically, I think I have four possible ways of playing backups:

1. Boot Swiss either via a burnt disc or game exploit and play burnt discs:
This would probably give me the highest possible compatibility but the disc drives seem to be very unreliable which means I'd likely have to try multiple brands of Mini-DVDs and tweak the laser.
I'd like a reliable solution so I don't think I'm going to choose this option.

2. Boot Swiss either via a burnt disc or game exploit and play games from an SD card:
Very convenient as I have an SD Gecko as well as tons of SD cards lying around. Still need to get a burnt disc with Swiss to work though (I think game exploits are too inconvenient because they take a while to load). Also, there are compatibility issues with booting games from the SD Gecko and many games face stutters, especially the Metroid games, which I'd really like to play. Are these stutters bad? Can they be remedied by simply using Class 10 SD cards (I don't think so as I'm guessing that the Gecko/MC Slot is the real bottleneck here)?
Should I be able to get the burnt Swiss disc to work and the games would be playable and enjoyable from an SD card, this would be an acceptable solution.

3. Sell the GameCube as soon as I receive it:
I've got a soft modded Wii that I'm currently using to play GameCube games and that works flawlessly so it's actually kind of stupid to go for the GC in the first place. However, the GC was the first console I've ever owned and I really like its looks so I kinda still want one :D Also, the possibility of getting a Gameboy Player at some point is also pretty attractive.

4. Installing a WODE into the GameCube:
I've already mentioned my Wii but what I didn't mention is that it has a WODE installed in it. Now, seeing as Nintendont works as great as it does now, I was considering removing it from my Wii anyway. I've already read the guide on the wiki on how to put a WODE into a GC but I'm not quite sure how feasible a mod like this is. I've got some soldering skills (as long as the pads aren't super tiny) but still, the guide makes it look pretty intimidating. Would I be able to somehow still use Swiss and WiiRD cheat codes on games that I've got stored on the SD card in the WODE?

In conclusion, what I'm looking for is a way of playing backups of GC games with cheats in a way that is reliable and doesn't have compatiblity issues at least with the most popular games (Pokemon, Zelda, Metroid come to mind). What to you think is the best way for me to accomplish that?

Sorry if this post seems a little all over the place. If I need to clarify anything, just tell me. I'd really appreciate if you could give me some advice :)
novenary

Re: What to do with a new GameCube

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 am

For option 2: booting Swiss from a disc is much easier than getting backup discs to work reliably. The stutters aren't too bad even in Metroid. You will notice increased load times though, and you may run into breaking bugs with some games.

For option 4: the wode is a good compromise between the compatibility of burning discs and the convenience of using SD cards. I strongly recommend against wiring it by hand, find an adapter board instead. Swiss has support for it, in fact it is recommended that you set it up as your main wode menu.
MichiS97

Post by MichiS97 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am

Streetwalker wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:44 am
For option 2: booting Swiss from a disc is much easier than getting backup discs to work reliably. The stutters aren't too bad even in Metroid. You will notice increased load times though, and you may run into breaking bugs with some games.

For option 4: the wode is a good compromise between the compatibility of burning discs and the convenience of using SD cards. I strongly recommend against wiring it by hand, find an adapter board instead. Swiss has support for it, in fact it is recommended that you set it up as your main wode menu.
I think I'm going to try the WODE route, seems like a nice DIY project. By adapter board, do you mean those adapters that you plug a ribbon/FFC cable into and it has solder pads for all 32 pins? I'd definitely get one of those. I'm just not quite sure how the power connection is supposed to work as the guide only has instructions for Rev A/B (I don't know which revision mine is yet) and I don't know how it'd work with different boards.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 am

MichiS97 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am
By adapter board, do you mean those adapters that you plug a ribbon/FFC cable into and it has solder pads for all 32 pins?
Rather something like this.
MichiS97

Post by MichiS97 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 pm

Streetwalker wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:40 am
MichiS97 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am
By adapter board, do you mean those adapters that you plug a ribbon/FFC cable into and it has solder pads for all 32 pins?
Rather something like this.
Are these readily available to buy? My problem with this entire install is that there is no guide for it that covers everything from start to finish. That makes the entire process very intimidating.
novenary

Post by novenary » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:29 pm

You can order the PCBs from oshpark, you will need to source the connectors and a voltage regulator separately.
MichiS97

Post by MichiS97 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:34 pm

Alright, nice :)
Now it's just a matter of figuring out how to hook up the WODE correctly.