Help to run burned games on my GameCube modded with Xeno

All your console related questions and answers :)
limebr

Help to run burned games on my GameCube modded with Xeno

Post by limebr » Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:08 pm

Hey guys! This is my first topic at this forum, so I would be grateful if someone could help me.

I bought a DOL-001 Nintendo GameCube already modded with the Xeno chip and with a dead laser. It's my first GameCube, it's modded to run full size dvds. I bought a new laser to replace the old one. The seller send me with the videogame a few burned games that he used to play on it and an original PAL game. My GameCube is NTSC.

I changed the laser and checked the pot value, it was on 172 ohm. I started the videogame pressing start to run the PAL game. The Xeno menu appeared and the game runned normally.
When I try to run the burned games, full size dvds, appears the message "NO DISC" on the menu. I tried lowering the pot, and it recognizes the game with the pot on 120 ohms. But when I start the game, appears an error message. I tried lowering the pot even more until 30 ohms, but the same happens.

Is there something I missed? What could I do to make my GameCube read my burned games?
limebr

Re: Help to run burned games on my GameCube modded with Xeno

Post by limebr » Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm

Update: with the pot 30 ohm, almost all my burned games are being recognized on the menu. When I start them, the laser goes crazy going up and down quickly, and then it stops appearing the error message
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:50 pm

limebr wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:10 pm
Update: with the pot 30 ohm, almost all my burned games are being recognized on the menu. When I start them, the laser goes crazy going up and down quickly, and then it stops appearing the error message
You'll either need better media or a new laser. If the laser is still happy to read originals then I'd keep it until it can no longer read those either since the Chinese lasers aren't as good.
limebr

Post by limebr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:20 am

Here in my city they only sell Emtec mini DVDs. I tried to burn in 4 different computers, but without success, with the pot 180 ohms. The seller send to me five backup discs that worked perfectly. He said that he used Nero to burn the backups. I'm almost paying him to burn games to me, because my discs are never being recognized by the gamecube. Is there any tip to burn gamecube games?
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:05 am

The burner itself also matters. If he's using the same media as you are, then you might want to try using the same burner as his.
limebr

Post by limebr » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:43 pm

I tried using full dvd. When I burned in 6x, the error message appeared, like with the mini dvds. I tried to burn in 16x and it worked perfectly. Now I don't know what to do, because I don't want to keep my gamecube opened to use full size dvds. Is there any way that I can cut full size dvds into mini dvds to fit into the gamecube? I was searching the Internet when I found this vídeo. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSNMKxu9pY8
novenary

Post by novenary » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:36 pm

Interesting contraption. Yes, you can cut regular 12cm DVDs down to size, just make sure you cut them round and concentric or you could damage your spindle. You could also find an aftermarket top case that fits full size discs.