Need help converting RGB modded D-Terminal to component cable

Find all your GameCube topics here
EthernumRasa

Need help converting RGB modded D-Terminal to component cable

Post by EthernumRasa » Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:18 am

so hallo everyone.
i hope i can get some help since i couldnt find the details i need. Im currently in the process of converting the cable and im stuck on the details. specially the function of and the place of the white, grey and black cables. i figured i could just solder the three main cables (red, blue and green) to the end of another component cable ( i bought a german audio one for 10 euros) but i dont have a clue waht to do with white, gray and black. here is my progress so far:
http://imgur.com/gallery/l222zZq

i hope you guys can help me out.

also comment on the soldering would be nice, i never done it before :P
keropi

Re: Need help converting RGB modded D-Terminal to component cable

Post by keropi » Sun Oct 21, 2018 10:45 pm

The soldering of the IC looks fine, no worries about that. I will explain the really simply:

- ignore the 3 smaller wires
- get some quality male RCA jacks and solder them like this, do this for the 3 RED/GREEN/BLUE cables

What I did for my cable was to get a component cable and connected the wires instead of jacks, same thing just the male plugs were pre-made - as seen here:

EthernumRasa

Post by EthernumRasa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:28 am

I want to do the same thing as you, i also got a spare component cable and want to connect the cables:
https://www.springair.de/en/oehlbach-co ... -3.0/39489

Do i need to connect the copper cables and then heatshring everything or do i also need to connect the isolation somehow of both cables together?

I have the three RCA jacks from that cable that i allready removed but the individual vired in the component cable look too thin to me to connect the jacks and use it that way
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:49 am

you don't need to connect the isolation but obviously you can't have the cables making contact with each other. You can have though a common ground as pictured below, all these 3 ground shielding can be connected with the other 3 from for the cable in one single point. I can't have better pics I am using these old ones:

so ideally you will want to heatshrink each "core" cable individually , then connect all 6 common ground points around these "core" cables and finally heatshrink them all together. It will look bulky in the end but I can't think of a better way to connect the 2 cables...
EthernumRasa

Post by EthernumRasa » Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 am

So i should connect the shielding of all the three main cables to a single point? How sould i do it? Use an extra wire? Or can i just connect the cores of the main three, heat shrink them individially and then headshrink the whole trunk?
keropi

Post by keropi » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:16 am

EthernumRasa wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 7:26 am
Or can i just connect the cores of the main three, heat shrink them individially and then headshrink the whole trunk?
exactly this
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 29, 2018 12:21 am

I find using a small box or something to support the cables all coming off the one trunk is best (that's what I ended up doing to one a while back).
EthernumRasa

Post by EthernumRasa » Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:47 am

And where did you get that small box?
emu_kidid
Site Admin

Post by emu_kidid » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:15 am

EthernumRasa wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:47 am
And where did you get that small box?
eBay or electronics shops (or even 3D print a box). Something like a ABS enclosure/box for projects, just get the smallest one you can find, some even have holes pre-cut to slot cables into with grips/etc.